Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lane etiquette & passing people

• 05-09-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I just have something to ask that I've been pondering for a while.

I swim at a public pool, it is fairly good in that there are usually 2 each of fast, medium and slow lanes, so people usually have plenty of space to do their thing. I would usually swim in the fast lane, as I'm a fairly confident swimmer and can keep up with most people there.

I have just been wondering if there is a fixed etiquette with regards to passing people in lanes. When I was a club swimmer, and then subsequently in my swimming-for-exercise in most cases, if you can see (or feel) that someone is catching you up, you stop at the next wall to allow them to pass safely. I've been in a few pools where they don't mind if you overtake if it's just the two of you in the lane, though that basically becomes impossible once there are more than 2 in my opinion, for safety reasons; I've also been in pools where the lifeguards have not allowed overtaking.

The reason I'm asking is because during my swim today, there was a woman who just would not let people pass her. She got in the water, swam non-stop for around 30-40 minutes, at the same pace throughout, and just wouldn't stop - I can't understand how she couldn't see the line of people building behind her when she turned at each wall. What is the right thing to do here? A guy once yelled at me for swimming 'too close' to him, but he also wouldn't let anyone pass him - he said that instead I should stop at the next wall about 5 metres out, and just turn around & go in front of him? Now to me that doesn't seem very satisfactory - why should I have to interrupt my swim by putting my feet down, & turning so that the person causing the traffic jam can continue on uninterrupted? I think everyone should be considerate, and if someone is faster then let them go ahead when it is convenient & safe to do so. Having said that, from my chat with the lifeguard afterwards, I gather this particular guy was well known for coming in & swimming in the fast lane when he clearly wasn't able, and for getting shirty with people like me then, so maybe he was just a particularly unpleasant case.

Just wondering what other regular swimmers' opinions are on this? 95% of people are lovely and so considerate, but I've come across a few like this woman today, and the shouty man. Is it appropriate to say something to lifeguards, to tell someone to be more considerate? Opinions please?

EDIT: I should also say that I do use the clock while training, so often I'll try get around the problem by being clever with timing - so pushing off just as they're approaching my end, and so giving myself almost 2 lengths' worth to catch up to them. However, when I do any kind of longer distance it becomes harder to manage that. Depending on the person, I have caught people within 4-8 lengths, so any distance longer than that and you find yourself behind them again... Fine for warm-ups or moderately-paced distance swims, but when you're trying to keep track of a time or are aiming for a particular interval, it can become annoying...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

To be honest it's brutal when someone is in lane like that. Is there signs up to say Fast,Medium,slow lane?

If not then the only thing that we normally do in our session is ask the person would they like to join in on the session. This in my experience gets them thinking and all nearly decline and move into another lane.

Maybe ask one of the lifeguards on duty to ask the person to move into a slower lane.

No one should be shouting at you especially if your in a lane for swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

mad m wrote: »
    To be honest it's brutal when someone is in lane like that. Is there signs up to say Fast,Medium,slow lane?

If not then the only thing that we normally do in our session is ask the person would they like to join in on the session. This in my experience gets them thinking and all nearly decline and move into another lane.

Maybe ask one of the lifeguards on duty to ask the person to move into a slower lane.

Yes there are signs indicating fast, medium, slow etc., and the context of this query is entirely lane swimming. And usually, say like this woman this morning, she actually is in the correct lane, as she would have been too quick for the medium swimmers, but invariably even in a fast lane people's speed varies, and so she was slower than me and holding me up at times. That is the crux of the issue I'm asking about I suppose.

And I don't train as part of a group unfortunately, just by myself, though I design sessions for myself rather than just swim continuously.

Do up your session, have it clearly visible and ask anyone who is slower than you to join you. Say to them try and keep up etc.

Your in a bit of a muddle if that women was too slow for medium alright....not much else I can say.

Where is this by the way?

It's a pool in the UK; I'm studying here & just use the local council one, but it's actually great as it's a big 8-lane pool. But the incident with the guy yelling at me was at Markievicz pool in Dublin city centre actually ;)

PS With the woman I mentioned from today, I don't think, even if I had wanted to ask her to join, that she would have actually stopped for anything, so I wouldn't have even got to ask, haha. I probably would have had to body-block her, but even then I feel she would have just swum through me... ;)

• Advertisement

gutenberg wrote: »
    It's a pool in the UK; I'm studying here & just use the local council one, but it's actually great as it's a big 8-lane pool. But the incident with the guy yelling at me was at Markievicz pool in Dublin city centre actually ;)

Did you swim with Berts gang down there?

Also the thing you have to understand and appreciate is, it is a public pool. You are an ex club swimmer and probably led the lane in your day and was being pushed. If you want to get that type of training then try and search for a masters group.

Goodluck with it...

mad m wrote: »
    Did you swim with Berts gang down there?

Also the thing you have to understand and appreciate is, it is a public pool. You are an ex club swimmer and probably led the lane in your day and was being pushed. If you want to get that type of training then try and search for a masters group.

Goodluck with it...

Oh I know absolutely, hence me asking here about what is appropriate to do. I know I'm probably quicker than a lot of people in a public pool (though there are plenty faster than me too!) so I do try to be considerate, but it should work two ways I feel - everyone should be welcome in a public pool.

And unfortunately I just can't afford a Masters club - I did enquire about one here, but the fees were quite steep, whereas the public pool gives a very good student rate. And I'm not good enough for the university club ;) I mainly swim as exercise but also to help with an injury, so I don't do crazy intensive sessions: my swims are usually between 45-60 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tbh either they're considerate or they ain't, and no etiquette is gonna help! :) Ideally it should be the person on lifeguard duty asking people to move up or down lanes - or advising people to allow passes (a pause at the end of each length is prob safest as you say)

Wossack wrote: »
    Tbh either they're considerate or they ain't, and no etiquette is gonna help! :) Ideally it should be the person on lifeguard duty asking people to move up or down lanes - or advising people to allow passes (a pause at the end of each length is prob safest as you say)

Yes, I do agree it should probably be the lifeguard doing the asking/advising, but I was just curious to see what people's opinions were, and whether I'd be justified asking the lifeguard to say something to them...

In my opinion I sort of agree the life guard should say something, but then again she has paid for her own swim in a public bath, she is faster than the medium lane. All I can say is talk to life guards and say to them to have a word with her in regards that if she sees you coming up for your turn at end of pool to wait till you go by. But then again I feel someone should already know this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

Next time keep touching her feet as you swim behind her.

She'll soon get the message. :-)

HobbyMan wrote: »
    Next time keep touching her feet as you swim behind her.

She'll soon get the message. :-)

Haha well the 'incident' I described above in Markievicz came about because I tapped his feet - although it was hard not, as he had such a flailing stroke & jerked his legs around so that if you were behind him, you didn't know where his limbs were going to go & so place your hands accordingly. Since he then yelled at me, I'm reluctant to try it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Since he then yelled at me, I'm reluctant to try it again...

I got yelled at by a guy once, he wanted to swim up and down in the middle of the lane (one lane roped off, he said it was his since he was there first). It put me off tapping toes or even talking to people about sharing lanes for a while, but I said feck that and have discussed lane etiquette and sharing with anybody since. Every single one of the people I've talked to since have been more than happy to divide the lane (if there's two of us), or to hold back at the wall to let faster people pass. Don't let the one bad experience stop you from discussing lane etiquette- try it again!

Thank you, I will try it. Have you stopped people in the middle of swims when you join the lane to discuss it? Reason I'm asking is because the woman I mentioned in my first post that wouldn't stop to let anyone pass was already in the middle of a swim when I joined the lane, and seeing as she didn't seem to care about holding other people up and just ploughed up & down continuously without stopping, I don't know how she would have reacted to me stopping her; but there would have been no opportunity to speak to her seeing as she didn't ever stop at either end of the pool. Wondering how to deal with that kind of scenario...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If someone isn't letting me pass then I'll stop and turn early. But not 5m short rather 5 feet or whatever I consider the closest safe distance. When they turn they'll be right on top of me. If they're going to interrupt my swim then I'm not overly bothered about interrupting theirs.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a git though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thank you, I will try it. Have you stopped people in the middle of swims when you join the lane to discuss it? Reason I'm asking is because the woman I mentioned in my first post that wouldn't stop to let anyone pass was already in the middle of a swim when I joined the lane, and seeing as she didn't seem to care about holding other people up and just ploughed up & down continuously without stopping, I don't know how she would have reacted to me stopping her; but there would have been no opportunity to speak to her seeing as she didn't ever stop at either end of the pool. Wondering how to deal with that kind of scenario...

I've stopped people doing a straight set with a quick "excuse me" as I wait for them at the wall. So far its worked and things are quickly worked out for mutual benefit. Obviously if someone is determined to ignore you they will. Then I'd suggest approaching the lifeguard to explain lane etiquette to her, failing that you just overtake her mid lane, or try and time your sets to start just as she's coming to the wall. If she doesn't get it then, just do your thing as best you can. From the sounds of what you've explained she has every right to be in the lane, there's just a small conflict regarding overlap.

I don't understand it myself- if I'm in a lane and a shark gets in you, it doesn't hurt my set too much to let him pass at the wall, basic lane rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Cottonballs

I've found the Markevicz to be a disaster for this sort of thing in the past, luckily don't swim there anymore. The 'lifeguards' are more interesting in having a chat in that place, once asked one of them to ask a girl, who was plainly in the wrong lane with 4 others swimming around her, to swap lanes to which I was told 'thats not my job'.

Always find it bizarre that people don't let faster swimmers go ahead - if someone is swimming up my arse, I'll always let them pass, I don't see the point to trying to keep a pace that's going to kill you after a few laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 SlowInWater

Mornings in NAC can be a nightmare for this, people have their own view on what 'fast lane' means, and normally that is not very fast. One guy in particular will get into fast lane and do bad breaststroke up and down the middle of the lane, regardless of what is going on around him. Worst situation is when a group of 2 or 3 get in, stroll along and won't get out of anyones way.

Really think that instead of simply saying fast, medium or slow, the lanes should have expected pace times, ie instead of fast, something like 100's on 1.30

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

[QUOTE= One guy in particular will get into fast lane and do bad breaststroke up and down the middle of the lane, regardless of what is going on around him. [/QUOTE]

Do butterfly coming towards him. Play a game of chicken. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I thought the etiquette was to lightly tap someone on the foot / ankle to let them know you're behind them and will be overtaking them........although that's something I picked up in the UK - first time I did it here it ended 'not well' - as in a few words were exchanged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

There can be a similar issue in the pool in Ben Dunne's Northwood gym. There are no fast or slow lanes. You just hop into one of the 3 lanes.

There is this elderly woman who refuses to stop and allow people to pass her. When I see her I go into another lane.

A while ago, she was there and two guys got into her lane. Again, she just kept swimming at her own pace. She made a complaint to an employee saying they the guys were intimidating her. He had a word with them. They were explaining to him that she was not stopping at the end of the lane. It ended in favour of the woman.

I keep meaning to ask that there is something put up about swim etiquette.

Thanks for all your experiences everyone.

When I was at the pool this week, I saw the same woman I mentioned in my original post, but thankfully they had another 'fast' lane open so I just joined that one; although -alas!- very quickly a woman joined my lane who had the same problem, i.e. not letting anyone pass her at the walls. However, I thought 'sod this' and tapped her foot about 3/4 of the way up the pool, to let her know I was there and wanted to pass - and she stopped right in the middle of the pool to let me pass?! Why she couldn't just pause at the wall for an extra 2 seconds to let me go, rather than full-on stopping in the middle of the lane, is still beyond me...

And to the person who suggested a time for specific lanes, my impression is that most swimmers don't use or even know how to use a pace clock, so I'm not sure how well that would work - plus my problems so far have usually always been with people who just plough up & down endlessly at the same pace, with no discernible sets, so how they would they even know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I thought I'd seen everything, but had pretty much a reverse lane etiquette muppet at the pool this morning... big powerful guy gets in to the medium lane with his GF. GF is a similar speed to me and the two men who were already there, fairly standard for this lane. Guy is FAST, but refuses to move out of medium lane because his GF is there. Swims over people and generally acts like a complete and utter tool to people who are in the most appropriate lane for them. Can't win :mad:

I don't understand that Rainbow Kirby- if you're swimming in any way properly, you're not exactly able to have a chat, are you, so why the need to stick compulsively to the girlfriend?!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Cottonballs

Mornings in NAC can be a nightmare for this, people have their own view on what 'fast lane' means, and normally that is not very fast. One guy in particular will get into fast lane and do bad breaststroke up and down the middle of the lane, regardless of what is going on around him. Worst situation is when a group of 2 or 3 get in, stroll along and won't get out of anyones way.

Really think that instead of simply saying fast, medium or slow, the lanes should have expected pace times, ie instead of fast, something like 100's on 1.30

Hahaha, I know the lad you're on about, blue hat & blue nicks, have been a victim of him in the past. In fairness, one hell of a comical breaststroke. :D

I think, from reading your opinions, I need to be a bit more thick-skinned about this: tapping a person's foot, trying to talk to them, or speaking to a lifeguard at last resort. If someone is seriously interrupting your swim by being pig-headed about moving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Totally agree with that, but experienced swimmers also need to take into account that while their 4*100m might be at 1.30 pace, their time with a pullbouy or whatever will be slower, so they should move lanes for that to work.

I'm a solo swimmer and my biggest pet peeve is groups doing sets (who take a 10sec break every 100m). Unless you have a lane to yourself or your group, if one person is doing sets of 100, and another is doing sets of 400, they're likely to bump into each other every few lengths.

I prefer longer sets, and keep a solid pace throughout (approx 1:50/100m). Fairly regularly in UCD pool I end up in a lane with groups that want to go on 2:00, so if there's 6 of them, then I cant go through the wall for 30seconds.

Personally, I think that if people are training with a group of say 3/4 or more, they should hire a lane for themselves. I've been more or less pushed out of lanes before by groups arriving to train together; if it's an organised, regular thing then just get your own lane and don't disrupt others doing their own sessions.

Personally, I think that if people are training with a group of say 3/4 or more, they should hire a lane for themselves. I've been more or less pushed out of lanes before by groups arriving to train together; if it's an organised, regular thing then just get your own lane and don't disrupt others doing their own sessions.
    Totally agree. I gave up my UCD membership because of this.

There's 10 lanes, 3 are always "no-lane-swimming", another 3 in the morning go to UCD club, elaving 4 for the average joe's. There's one/two "open lane" that's hogged by a team/club from 6.30 - 7.30 each morning. If ya ask the lifeguards they tell you it's public use, but it's intimidating for one person to share with a grup of 8 swimmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

Just posted this up about a local pool but was interested to read the posts here on a similar topic.

"I was delighted a few years ago when I heard that there was going to be a new pool in Rathmines. That was short lived when the pool was open for business.

From the beginning there was a lot of messing around with the length of the pool. I want to swim in a 25m pool. Apparently it was 'stuck' on the shorter length. So we were like sardines in a tin. A few strokes & it's time to turn. Pointless & not very productive. I had to ring before I went for a swim from then on as I didn't want to pay for half a congested pool. The open shower area is not a good idea in reality either. I don't want to see a man with his hand down his trunks washing himself.

The other issue I have with the pool that put me off was the lack of 'lane etiquette'. A complete clown swam in to my head as the lifeguard looked on. The person had no business being in a lane as he was not capable of swimming on one side & keeping up the pace in the lane. Arms & legs a kimbo & going at 0mph with no consideration for anyone else. They are in every pool.
    To me it is the equivalent of some fool getting on the same treadmill as you & strolling as you are mid run.

I got walloped by people who are unaware that you can bend your elbow while doing front crawl, I have been scraped the length of my body & kicked by people doing breast stroke. People have jumped in on me while turning at the wall & proceeded to 'swim' as a snails pace directly in front of me.

I give way to people who are faster than me. And expect the same from others.

All pool users are familiar with one or all of the above situations. Unfortunately it makes me angry & undoes the benefits of the swim.

I paid up for the Carlisle gym but these pool clowns are everywhere. (All of the above has happened to me there too.) At least in the Carlisle you may get lucky & have the lane to yourself every now & then. That said, the pool is NOT clean. (Swim hats are not compulsory & that probably doesn't help) It's badly lit (the whole gym is a depressing dim cavern) & the water temp seems a few degrees colder than other pools. Probably BD trying to save money...

If the Swan pool was managed better I would return. Pools that are filled with natural light are lovely to swim in. It's a pity it's a risky business to try & swim there."

I've never seen any signs about pool etiquette up. The people who should read them probably wouldn't. I do a club session once a week so have an idea about how things should work when lap swimming but I think it's a lost cause when the general public are in the mix.

Any signage related to the speed of the lane is redundant if there is no one to manage it. Some people are delusional when it comes to assessing their own speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Freddio

The NAC is great for swimming at your own pace at certain times.

Mid morning weekdays
    Fri, Sat evening
    other evenings after 7.30 slightly less so.

There is plenty of room to overtake, not too many and nowhere where you can stand in the way. People do hang around the end and chat but not in all 10 lanes.

Its been a long time since Ive been out there and had to share a lane with more than 3 people, but I do go when its set to 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

My favourite time in the NAC used to be 8-10pm on a Friday. You could have the entire complex to yourself if you timed it right - sheer heaven. Mornings after about 7.30am Mon-Fri are also largely deserted and a real pleasure to swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I really do wish that all courses of swimming lessons included a 10 minute session on etiquette. From selecting the correct lane to overtaking to keeping the changing areas clean. It's amazing the lack of common sense some people can manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I tried the gentle foot touching the other day and it worked a treat.

I swam in Westwood and gave it up as most of the lanes were given over to lessons and even the 20 metre pool was halved off for more lessons.

I swim in sportslink now and again its the same crap, one lane left for swimmers of all ability. If you went to a gym and most of the equipment was out of bounds, there would be uproar but for some reason, gyms have no issue screwing over swimmers who pay full membership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 willow46

ah the feet touch! Yes i think a good gentle tap works sometimes…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭username000

I used to swim a lot and I always give way for faster swimmers. But there is always some idiot who swims really slowly and refuses to give way. I mostly tackled it by swimming right up behind them and PARALLEL to them as we reached the wall and then taking off next to them and just slipping in in front of them again. A lot of people get the idea when you do that.

One thing that did occur to me was that perhaps its people swimming without their glasses who genuinely cant see that they are holding up the whole show?

If there were more than two in the lane Id try to time it so I could do the above or go round them mid length if I knew for sure the third swimmer wasnt coming towards me.

Its hugely annoying, as is the groups of people who used to cluster blocking the wall so you couldnt turn properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

You all are so polite (and I'm clearly not) if someone didn't let me pass , I'd jump in front of that selfish swimmer and slow him/her down for their entire swim 😈😈😈
    For the record, how can they not let you pass??? Swim around them, done
    Tap on a foot is clear sign there is someone behind me who wants to pass... I won't stop at the wall tho but will definitely pull more to the side so there is room to pass
    I am swimming with tri club so these are the "rules" we follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭username000

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    For the record, how can they not let you pass??? Swim around them, done

If there are other people swimming in the lane they could be coming towards you as you try to pass and youd cause a collision.

Some pools have very narrow lanes - it's difficult to pass in the pool I mostly swim in because it's a tight fit to get 5 lanes. If there's more than around 4 people in the lane it makes it even harder again due to the risk of crashing into someone going the opposite way.

There is always the skill of diving deep and surfacing in front of a really slow head-up breaststroker though...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

One thing that did occur to me was that perhaps its people swimming without their glasses who genuinely cant see that they are holding up the whole show?

I wear glasses and that's no excuse for getting out f the way! I'm pretty blind, but you can hear/feel/see the faster swimmer. You'd have to have absolutely no sensory perception at all to miss them.

The slow, slow front crawlers and dainty breaststrokers that hop into the fast lane in my gym do my head absolutely in. Why, oh why, oh why when there are 4, FOUR Slow and Medium lanes to chose from? And about 90% never get the tapping foot message. From me anyway. They don't get out of the way ever. I end up moving lane, and frequently in a Slow lane cos it's empty. I suppose it's the lifeguards job to enforce it but they never do. So annoying.

It is absolutely lovely when you're in a lane with someone and you never get in each others way. I think my best swims have been that way!

ETA I think January is the worst time for this. New years resolutions and all that. Last week, I was in lane for 45 mins and 2 guys pop in, one teaching the other how to swim…all the other lanes were free :confused:

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    It is absolutely lovely when you're in a lane with someone and you never get in each others way. I think my best swims have been that way!
    Yeah, it's the holy grail. Being in a lane with someone too fast or too slow can be equally disturbing.

At the same time though, there are time when it's hard to know whether the fast person should move up or the slow person move down a lane.

Then you have lads who do different drills in the pool, for some drills they could be the same speed as you, and then if they're just kicking they'd be slower than you. Ideally, they'd move lanes when this happens but rarely does.

My pet peeve is people doing (for example), 100m sprints on 1:50 in the same lane as myself who's swimming 1k at 1:50 pace. Can be infuriating experience for both, myself getting to the wall with lads waiting every time, them having to overtake me every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Interesting read here. Here in OZ it is not that bad. The pool I swim in is a public 50m outdoor pool, which generally always has people in it but has plenty of room for everyone. In the mornings or evenings there is squad training with maybe 4 out of the 10 lanes taken up. The rest of the time one can choose a lane according to their ability. The lanes are generally wide so passing people is not an issue I have encountered but if you are being a dick, then you will get it from other swimmers and more importantly the lifeguards. The lifeguards in the pool will tell people move if people for example are going a breaststroke in the fast freestyle only lane. If people still dont get the message, then its generally accepted that people will swim over you... literally. After this happens once or twice you will see them scurrying away with their tails between their legs to another lane. Open water swimming is huge here and swimming over people in the sea is kinda part of the course especially at the start and at the bouys and although annoying for slower swimmers (I had to literally push someone off me in Bondi yesterday while doing the bluewater challenge) it gives one the sense that one has to look after yourself in the pool and the sea.

The pools though have to set the standard. If they are on top of it and manage it which creates the culture then it would not be a problem. If more people complain about it it may change.

jank wrote: »
    ....if you are being a dick, then you will get it from other swimmers and more importantly the lifeguards....
    Think that's the difference. Don't think an Irish lifeguard is going to be as agressive as an Aussie lifeguard.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Think that's the difference. Don't think an Irish lifeguard is going to be as agressive as an Aussie lifeguard.

This - it would be fantastic if Irish/British lifeguards would (wo)man up and not be afraid to ask people to move if they are clearly causing issues for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Part of the problem is the Irish "it'll be grand" "ah sure what harm" attitude to be honest. I've found Aussies tend to stick to a system once there is one put in place(parking, escalators, queues etc.), whereas we Irish will do it when it suits us and then not bother our holes when we aren't in the humor and either feign ignorance or make light of the fact that we've been a total pain in the arse to deal with afterwards.

Having worked in pools in both, they take their lane etiquette fairly seriously over here as it would be total carnage without it (particularly with the level of TABP that is encountered in Triathlon and club swimming) whereas there are fewer facilities and a more mixed demographic of pool user in Ireland, so they are all lumped in together, and any attempt to enforce a system just drains the enthusiasm right out of those tasked with it due to sneering, apathy, I'm all-right Jack and faux-ignorance just so the few get to do whatever the fcuk they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

This - it would be fantastic if Irish/British lifeguards would (wo)man up and not be afraid to ask people to move if they are clearly causing issues for others.

If the lifeguards are not doing their jobs, even after being asked to do so, then make a complaint to their manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I suppose culture does play into the problem. An Aussie lifeguard or swimmer is less likely to hold back a tongue lashing than an Irish version. I suppose also swimming is so big here, many are probably taught the appropriate etiquette from when they are young. Then again, I may be lucky in the pool I am in. I am sure there are pools elsewhere where its a problem.

AngryHippie is right about the personalities though. From the coaches to the swimmers tough love seems part of the course. I have seen plenty of heavy verbals given during squad training between swimmers, once it almost came to blows. I was like WTF? Coach was like 'meh, whatever..' In some way its amusing. Seeing grown men who would be successful their own careers have a hissy fit and call an other swimmer 'a ****ing pansy, dickhead, STFU ya asshole, make me dickhead...' lol Lane Rage!. Maybe the culture is slightly more dog eat dog. Would be interesting to see if this is an issue on the continent or in the US.

Advertisement