Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goldcar Fuel rip off Spain

• 05-09-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Hired a car for a week From Gold car Reus Airport at the end of August, They have a thing called flex fuel where they credit you for fuel not used . However in the small print they charge you up to €30 admin charge to refuel the vehicle.

This scam/ Sharp practice means you end up paying over double forecourt prices ! Shouldn't be allowed !

Fuel Policy
    A full tank of Diesel (60 litres) cost me initially €129 (€2.15 per litre)

I used a half tank of fuel 30 litres . This cost me €129 less €42 euro refund on my credit card or exactly €87.00 . With the refuelling admin charge the cost is now an amazing 2.90 per litre

If I could have purchased my own fuel at the pumps the 30 litres would have cost me approx €39.60 .( €1.32 per litre

So Gold car have made €47.40 on fuel alone through this sharp practice.

Comments

need to check the terms and conditions before booking.
    what was the booking condition - due to refuelling admin charge sounds like "bring back full" - so you should have refilled it completely at or near the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Bloody hell - diesel costs €2.15 in Spain?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

In my experience of renting cars, if you get it full bring it back full. Regardless of any offer made by a rental company you'll always get caught out financially if you don't and it'll be covered in the conditions you signed up to as well.

I got caught out by something like this many years ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Bloody hell - diesel costs €2.15 in Spain?!?!
    No, nothing like it. But that's what it costs when the rental company sends one of their people to fill the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Goldcar are renowned for this ****e, bring it back full and they'll still charge you. How much extra did they try and sting you for with insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

glasso wrote: »
    need to check the terms and conditions before booking.
    what was the booking condition - due to refuelling admin charge sounds like "bring back full" - so you should have refilled it completely at or near the airport.

Conditions were than they refund you for remaining fuel. I wasn't given a full/full option when booking but on reflection I could have saved about €20 if I had filled it back up before returning

I also got a email this morning quoting my correct Contract number and hire Vehicle reg with an accident claim form that I was told to return within 48 hours
    giving details of the accident I had in Tarragona on 21/08/2014.

Only Trouble was I wasn't in Spain until 24/8/2014 ...after a few emails this morning and sending a copy of my contract period I finally got them to admit to their mistake...very poor customer service .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Always go with full full ... Its almost impossible to drop a car back empty and their price is always WAY higher than the standard price

Always go with full full ... Its almost impossible to drop a car back empty and their price is always WAY higher than the standard price

can be difficult to bring back full if there's no station near airport or if you haven't allowed time to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

glasso wrote: »
    can be difficult to bring back full if there's no station near airport or if you haven't allowed time to find it.

You can always brim it at drive it around 30 kilometers before it shows any usage on the Fuel Gauge :)

Had a rental in Ireland a few weeks about and drove 80km before it showed any drop in the tank :)

• Advertisement

You can always brim it at drive it around 30 kilometers before it shows any usage on the Fuel Gauge :)

Had a rental in Ireland a few weeks about and drove 80km before it showed any drop in the tank :)

agree but they can still get you for a few litres - notwithstanding what the gauge says :( has happened to me.

A fuel gauge reading full is not good enough for these chancers, they demand a receipt from a nearby garage with the time and date on it, you'll be stung for refuelling service charge otherwise even if only for a litre or two. Read their reviews on TripAdvisor, they are truly septic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

Booked a car in Italy last year

Policy was to charge you for a full tank (at over the odds prices) and bring back empty. No refund for unused fuel.

Booked a car in Italy last year

Policy was to charge you for a full tank (at over the odds prices) and bring back empty. No refund for unused fuel.

They do a partial refund on some shorter bookings at laughable rates and extortionate service charge

1426 reviews of Gold car and 88.5% think they are 1 star.. no 0 star option !

Guess that could be 1426 lost returning rentals for them !

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews236975.html

The best option is "pick up full, bring back full" with no charge unless you have not actually brought it back full. you need to know where the nearest fuel stop is though and allow time to do the refill on the way back.
    When you are checking prices for rentals make sure you can see the fuel policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Lots of horror stories on the web about them, hence I would never rent from them. I always try to rent from one of the big name brands like hertz, avis etc.

Advertisement