Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reaction to Kennel Cough Vaccine

• 05-09-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

My latest arrival Jodie, a 12 week old cross breed had her 7 in 1 booster and kennel cough vaccine last weekend.
    since yesterday morning she has been having coughing fits. They don't appear to bother her too much and are not very frequent. All the same I rang the vet and he told me it sounded like a reaction to the vaccine.
    He said if it contined to bring her in tomorrow which I will be doing.
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah poor pup! :( Have you tried manuka honey to sooth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Yeah I've been giving her a teaspoon of it twice a day to sooth her throat which she loves!
    It's heartbreaking to see her coughing like this but she sometimes just continues playing during it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

When my vet did it for my boys he said they may cough for a while afterwards, because getting the vaccination is irritating on the nose/throat passage way. My boys didn't cough after it at all though!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If a live vaccine was used, it can give the dog some mild symptoms of kennel cough but these should resolve. Bear in mind that she is currently infectious to other, unvaccinated pets - including cats!

boomerang wrote: »
    unvaccinated pets - including cats!

Oh didn't realise this! She is kept separate from the cats at moment anyway, purely because she is too boisterous for them..

• Advertisement

Update....
    Went to the vet Saturday morning, cough had already eased considerably. Vet gave her thorough check up and gave her clean bill of health thankfully!
    Her she is resting after turning the house upside down!

Advertisement