Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling lip balm

Options
  • 05-09-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi there,

My wlfe wants to sell her home made lip balm.

She will be using all natural ingredients and essential oils.

There will be no preservatives so does it have to pass a safety test before she can sell them?

Many thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Flashdan wrote: »
    Hi there,

My wlfe wants to sell her home made lip balm.

She will be using all natural ingredients and essential oils.

There will be no preservatives so does it have to pass a safety test before she can sell them?

Many thanks,

Dan

I have no experience of this but I would imagine the requirements would be extremely detailed process to get such a product into stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Why do you think other manufactures use preservatives/stabilisers? The clue is in the name. There is nothing inherently safe about natural ingredients. And there is nothing inherently unsafe about "artificial" ingredients (although everything is a chemical at base). What happens if the "natural" ingredients go off or react because there are no preservatives. Lip-balms can sit for months in handbags. It could actually create a reaction if it goes off.

Not only that - if you are selling a product through a chain it could be sitting for months if not years in warehouses etc. The store will want to know how long your product will last before going off. This could have a big impact if you plan selling through this channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

micosoft wrote: »
    Why do you think other manufactures use preservatives/stabilisers? The clue is in the name. There is nothing inherently safe about natural ingredients. And there is nothing inherently unsafe about "artificial" ingredients (although everything is a chemical at base). What happens if the "natural" ingredients go off or react because there are no preservatives. Lip-balms can sit for months in handbags. It could actually create a reaction if it goes off.

Not only that - if you are selling a product through a chain it could be sitting for months if not years in warehouses etc. The store will want to know how long your product will last before going off. This could have a big impact if you plan selling through this channel.

Thanks for informing me. Now can you help me with the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Thanks for informing me. Now can you help me with the question?

LMGTFY first link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement