Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkest Dungeon

Options
  • 05-09-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I've been keeping a close eye on this game and I'm very excited from what I've seen so far. I don't think I've been this excited for a game since Dragon's Crown. Really loving the art style and the mechanics are fresh and interesting. Can't wait for this one.

Info:

Developer | Red Hook Studios
    Platforms | Windows, Mac and Linux (Possible consoles in the future)
    Genre | Dungeon Crawler
    Release date | TBA / Early 2015 (Steam early access coming soon)

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/

Game Mechanics:

The game is a 2D side scrolling, rougelike, dungeon crawler with an emphasis on stress management. You manage a team of four at any given time in the dungeon, but can recruit other members back at the town, much like in XCOM. And since it's also rougelike, when a character dies, they are gone for good. There are a total of 15 classes, each with 8 different skills which can be leveled up at the town.

Each character has a health meter and stress meter. A character's stress can go up if for example, a team member dies, the enemy hits you with a critical, or through enemy skills and traps. Conversely, you can lower your stress by hitting criticals, through items and with camping. Stress is also effected by the torchlight meter at the top of the screen. The lower the light the more stressful it becomes, but also you find more loot and deal more criticals to enemies. The torch can be bumped up with an item or fully restored when you camp.

When you set up camp you have a chance to eat any rations you have and depending on the amount you eat, you get some points to spend on healing, or reducing stress through each characters abilities. For example the healer in the group can bandage wounds better, or the Highwayman might use some dark humor to relieve the stress. If a characters stress meter becomes full, they will either gain a negative trait such as 'Selfish', 'Paranoid', 'Panicked' etc, which will affect what the character does or doesn't do. However there is a chance they they will overcome the stress and go into a positive hero-like state and become stronger.

The positioning of the characters are also important. Certain skills can only be performed in certain positions and can only attack enemies in certain positions. For example the Highwayman's 'Point Blank Shot' can only be used in the front row and will only hit the enemy in the front row.

Screenshots:

DLHQiNv.jpg

ZY58agi.jpg

Gameplay:
    The latest build from PAX Prime:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

This is out next week.

Really looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I've been meaning to update this thread! It got delayed and had to block it from my mind until now!

The steam page has been up a couple of weeks.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/?snr=1_7_15__13

Hype is now returning! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Looks like one of many flash games you can play with that style... :o

BeerWolf wrote: »

Care to share some? I'd like to play something while I wait for Darkest Dungeon. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BeerWolf wrote: »

While a lot of indie games have absolutely disgusting Flash art (cough Castle Crashers) this definitely isn't one of them and looks gorgeous.

• Advertisement

So tempted to watch, but I think I'll hold off. Only a few more days...

Played a few hours last night.

Very tough game especially if you get screwed early.

Definitely falls into the category of 'just 1 more turn' type of game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Glad I backed this. It's coming together nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Won a key of this last night of the streamer ThunderCast. Was followed to him for a long time and had his stream muted in the background while i was playing League of Legends, finished the game and checked his stream to enter and win the giveaway :D

After about an hour of playing im very impressed. The art style is beautiful and the game mechanics of light and battle positions is really nice. Abit of RNG involved in the battles but that can be offset slightly by planning ahead and making the right choices in battle. The voice over is also fantastic, much like Bastion.

Two problems so far are the way the combat will pause when one of your party members speaks and no turn order bar. But i can also see cause of them not having a turn order bar so you really have to be aware of who is attacking and in which order. Adds more to the stratagem i suppose.

Top game and well worth the price of 20 bones. Wonder if i can buy it again as id like to support the devs. All else fails i grab it on another steam account.

Won a key of this last night of the streamer ThunderCast. Was followed to him for a long time and had his stream muted in the background while i was playing League of Legends, finished the game and checked his stream to enter and win the giveaway :D

After about an hour of playing im very impressed. The art style is beautiful and the game mechanics of light and battle positions is really nice. Abit of RNG involved in the battles but that can be offset slightly by planning ahead and making the right choices in battle. The voice over is also fantastic, much like Bastion.

Two problems so far are the way the combat will pause when one of your party members speaks and no turn order bar. But i can also see cause of them not having a turn order bar so you really have to be aware of who is attacking and in which order. Adds more to the stratagem i suppose.

Top game and well worth the price of 20 bones. Wonder if i can buy it again as id like to support the devs. All else fails i grab it on another steam account.

You can buy it for me if you like! :pac:

I'm guessing the game doesn't release midnight our time? It's probably midnight PST or something? Also, is it normal to have no price listed on Steam before the game is released?

• Advertisement

Morpork wrote: »
    You can buy it for me if you like! :pac:

I'm guessing the game doesn't release midnight our time? It's probably midnight PST or something? Also, is it normal to have no price listed on Steam before the game is released?
    AFAIK, it should be available around 5pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

:( taking ages for it to get on the store TAKE MY MONIES !!

How is everyone finding the game? Its a long time investment grinding through leveling up two or more groups of adventurers. Has to be done this way as you leave characters in for stress relief. There is also no game over state since new adventures arrive each day and there are always level 1 mission to do. Also at time you have to draft in some fodder to do a low level run for gold/items only to retire them after the mission since it wouldn't be worth the cost to put them in for stress therapy.

Got 7 characters to level 3 and attempted a level 3 mission with a fresh group with some +3 weapon and armour upgrades plus some skill upgrades. My whole squad got smashed just under half way through the dungeon :eek:

Enemy resistances are doubled, HP doubled, dodge chance doubled, damage doubled. I really wasn't prepared for this. My confidence has been smashed and i'm almost thinking about uninstalling :pac:

Gotta level up another squad now. Game is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Game looks awesome, will definitely pick it up sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

One of my first runs after the tutorial all 4 of my lads died. Games hard af initially but a lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

seems very out of balance at the moment, like some times your guys are stressed to the maximum limit and you cant afford to de stress them, and you cant choose to skip going to a dungeon for a few days or anything so your forced to go and have an awfull run, also seems really hard to make any cash or upgrade the buildings.

And i had this one run that was going great my stress was like 1 or 2 on on each guy then i just walked on a trap and they all went mental on me :confused:

Lone Stone wrote: »
    seems very out of balance at the moment, like some times your guys are stressed to the maximum limit and you cant afford to de stress them, and you cant choose to skip going to a dungeon for a few days or anything so your forced to go and have an awfull run, also seems really hard to make any cash or upgrade the buildings.

And i had this one run that was going great my stress was like 1 or 2 on on each guy then i just walked on a trap and they all went mental on me :confused:

Some characters have certain negative quirks that will make them more stressed depending on which dungeon they are in. And the light level will increase stress levels of the party. Lots of different things factor into it.

As for not having the choice to skip days. The best thing to do is to run 2 main teams and swap in and out heros between those teams depending on stress levels and such. Upgrade your recruit wagon so you will have 3 recruits each week and the space to put them in the roster. Run low lvl dungeons with them and extract them if you have to just to get the gold earned in the dungeon, then fire them after the run and get a new team for another level 1 run.

*Morpork's resolve is tested*

*Addicted*

Only managed to play about 3 hours so far, but it's fecking brilliant. Well worth the wait. It's tough, but I like that it makes you think about every move and every penny you spend. I'm thinking I'll try spending less on stress healing and more on upgrading armours and skills and throwing in party's that are pre-stressed, to see how I get on. Nobody has died on me yet, although I did have all four members at death's door at one point, so I ran home.

My favourite party so far is: Vestal - Jester - Leper - Bounty Hunter. The front two just destroy things and the Jester is there for buffs and to remove stress, while the Vestal heals and keeps the torch up if needed.

My least favourite so far is the Occultist and Grave Robber, but mostly because I don't know how to utilise them yet.

What parties are you guys using?

Got this last night so looking forward to trying it at the weekend

Morpork wrote: »
    *Morpork's resolve is tested*

*Addicted*

My favourite party so far is: Vestal - Jester - Leper - Bounty Hunter. The front two just destroy things and the Jester is there for buffs and to remove stress, while the Vestal heals and keeps the torch up if needed.

My least favourite so far is the Occultist and Grave Robber, but mostly because I don't know how to utilise them yet.

What parties are you guys using?

Vestal is probably the best class in the game at the moment. Has a single target heal, group heal, a stun and a decent damage ranged attack with self heal attached. I always take her or an Occultist to a dungeon.

I'm quite fond of the Hellion, Crusader, Alchemist*, Bounty Hunter and the Highwayman.

The Leper is a tank and hits like a truck but without a taunt ability and his low ACC i only take him to a dungeon if i need a frontline fighter. Grave Robber and Jester i just can't find a place for them in my party at all.

Have yet to try a level 3 dungeon on my B team. Still need the gold to get them kitted out but i can see the Alchemist and Barbarian falling off with the higher resists on enemies and characters like the Bounty Hunter being stronger with his raw damage.

• Advertisement

The grave Robber is all about versatility.

She can start off in the front 2, FADE back a position for a stun and dodge buff to herself then, when shes back in the 3rd position, LUNGE forward 2 and deal some nice damage (her LUNGE gets +%40 bonus damage) and be ready to stun again with FADE.

That's how I've been using her wit great success! :D

Her daggers throw + Hellion charge do some nice AOE.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    The grave Robber is all about versatility.

She can start off in the front 2, FADE back a position for a stun and dodge buff to herself then, when shes back in the 3rd position, LUNGE forward 2 and deal some nice damage (her LUNGE gets +%40 bonus damage) and be ready to stun again with FADE.

That's how I've been using her wit great success! :D

Her daggers throw + Hellion charge do some nice AOE.

I may just bring the Grave Robber back into the fold!

I did a similar thing tonight with the Highwayman. Went with his Pointblank Shot and Lunge attack. I would start him in the front with a trinket that gives:

+5 SPD on first round
    +6% Crit on first round
    -5 SPD for the remaining rounds

He has high base speed anyway so he went first every round with a high damage attack to the enemy front line with nothing so far surviving a crit. Its good stuff. I suppose you could have a dance team with the Grave Robber and Highwayman swapping positions constantly :D

Played this for a few hours last night, very tough game! I've only been able to finish about 3-4 rooms at time until I need to abandon the quest :S

But I am definitely enjoying it and see the appeal of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Damn you Steam prices! It's too expensive... :(

Mr.Buzz wrote: »
    Damn you Steam prices! It's too expensive... :(
    Yea €19.99. Jesus...

I should really go back to console gaming. Much cheaper.......

Even though it's early access, so far it's been well worth the 20 bucks. Especially if you compare it to some other full price games.

Got stuck in last night and today and I'm starting to get a good feel for what I should be doing, but it doesn't make it any less challenging!
    Is there a time limit to how many weeks you can take to complete the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Yea €19.99. Jesus...

I should really go back to console gaming. Much cheaper.......
    Or pay €20 for games that are actually finished...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Best game I've played in ages. Have played about ten hours so far. So much depth, puts most AAA games to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Im loving this game but the no save function has me looking up things rather than risking it. I got to the fist hag boss with a lineup that attacks the first two slots and lost the whole team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement