Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Road Bike Tyres

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bullvine wrote: »
    Should I bin the the GP4000 that I noticed the slime coming out of even though its rock hard.

It all depends on how old the tire is and where it's coming from. Like I said, my GP4000 had a screw puncture very early in its life which left a small hole. This hasn't caused any more issues in the thousands of km since.

I would change the tube if you have noticed the slime though, as it means it has been punctured. And look for the source of the puncture too. There could still be a piece of glass embedded in the tire.

I have never used that type of tube however, so I'm not sure of best practise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Should I bin the the GP4000 that I noticed the slime coming out of even though its rock hard.

I would give the tyre a close look and see if I could find where the puncture was. Something must have pierced the tube and the slime has done its job. If you can't see anything, it might be worth removing the tyre to make sure nothing is still in it, as it may keep puncturing the tube, and at some point, there will be no slime left to seal the hole.

I've had GP4000s on my commuter for 3 weeks now and can see why everyone likes them - great improvement on my bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My biggest complaint with the Gatorskins is the lack of grip in the wet. I found them lethal taking corners, even at relatively low speed. I wouldn't go back given the other options out there.

As for the rolling resistance, I wouldn't be the best judge of that to be honest, but I didn't notice anything major.

I've a Gatorskin on the rear and despite reading some people's reviews of them being a skittish tyre I've had no slips at all (I'll probably break my bollox in the morning now :o ).

Again I'm commuting through Dublin city center almost daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Maidhci wrote: »
    Does anyone have any comments / experiences regarding Mavic Powerlink and Griplink tyres? How do they rate alongside the popular ones mentioned above i.e. Conti 4000 etc. etc.?

I have had the pleasure of using the Mavic Powerlink and Griplink combo since last September. There's not a lot of rain here, so I can't review how their grip is in the wet. However, they perform fantastically in dry conditions. The softer-compound Griplink doesn't make a huge difference, for me, so when i replaced the tyres recently, i went with Powerlink front and back. Yes, i know the tread is different etc etc. All seems good, thus far.
    Puncture resistance is the strong point, i feel. I'm running 25s at about 110psi on the back and 100-105psi on the front (I weigh about 88kg) and have not yet had a puncture (touch wood). Friends of mine running a bunch of other manufacturers tyres on the same routes/roads have had numerous punctures since I started using the Mavics. FWIW, I'm using them on Mavic Ksyrium SLR WTS wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Great advice, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

between Conti 4000s and Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX the latter is just a super quick tire. In winter, I think the Vittoria Rubino is a quality tire.

Saying that, looking forward to testing the Vittoria Open Corsa SL tire

all in all, i'm a vittoria fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've a Gatorskin on the rear and despite reading some people's reviews of them being a skittish tyre I've had no slips at all (I'll probably break my bollox in the morning now :o ).

Again I'm commuting through Dublin city center almost daily.
    Same here. 4 years of gators without issue (and no hanging around on corners for me either).
    Taxuser1 wrote: »
    between Conti 4000s and Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX the latter is just a super quick tire. In winter, I think the Vittoria Rubino is a quality tire.

I put 37mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers on the new Thorn and they've been very nice. I took them out at the weekend for a 200k audax with no apparent loss of pace compared to my usual form on 25mm gators.

I have the original 35mm Schwalbe Supremes back on now for a comparative week or two just to see which I prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Has anyone tried Continental Grand Prix GT 700x25c?

They seem like a midpoint between GP 4000s and Gatorskins. They've got the Black Chilli Compound and a little more sidewall protection than the 4000s (but more weight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I like the Rubino's as well. Cheap and durable ; rarely puncture until well worn.

@taxuser1 - curiosity question. How much quicker is "super quick"? I tend to travel at around 28-32kph on the flat and painfully slowly up a hill. Would I notice much of a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I like the Rubino's as well. Cheap and durable ; rarely puncture until well worn.

@taxuser1 - curiosity question. How much quicker is "super quick"? I tend to travel at around 28-32kph on the flat and painfully slowly up a hill. Would I notice much of a difference?

i just found them incredibly light and had more confidence in and out of corners, greasy or not than with the Contis. If you were going to press me on straight line speed, I couldn't say there's much difference for definite so it's probably a mental preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Anyone else having cracking issues with their Vittoria Rubino Pro folding clinchers? These have 1,300 KM's on them. Never under/over inflated. Both front and back showing it on one side only

Don't know to get them again or move to GP4000's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

viperlogic wrote: »
    Anyone else having cracking issues with their Vittoria Rubino Pro folding clinchers? These have 1,300 KM's on them. Never under/over inflated. Both front and back showing it on one side only

I was reading reviews on them a while back and it seems that cracking down the sides seems more common on coloured tyres. A friend of mine had a white set n he reckoned he got around 1500kms before they had started to split down the sides and he took them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

I've plain black rubino pros with around 2 thousand km on them
    They still look good with no significant visible damage,
    that's with me riding on some pretty crap roads a lot of the time..

Anyone that has used both, are the GP4000S worth the extra €30? Factors for me would be corning grip in wet & dry, durability, puncture resistance. Weight not a factor really.

2x GP4000S II's for ~€80
    2x Rubino Pro's for ~€50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone that has used both, are the GP4000S worth the extra €30? Factors for me would be corning grip in wet & dry, durability, puncture resistance. Weight not a factor really.

2x GP4000S II's for ~€80
    2x Rubino Pro's for ~€50
    Very happy with Conti's I have them on 3 bikes..great tyre

• Advertisement

Anyone know who else stocks the GP4000S II's other than CRC, Wiggle, CycleSuperStore, SwimCycleRun, bike24, bike-discount, Rose, Evans. Looking for the black/red ones. Yes, my bike is vain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

i just found them incredibly light and had more confidence in and out of corners, greasy or not than with the Contis. If you were going to press me on straight line speed, I couldn't say there's much difference for definite so it's probably a mental preference.

Thanks for that - although you've just killed another of my excuses for people passing me out!

Anyone know who else stocks the GP4000S II's other than CRC, Wiggle, CycleSuperStore, SwimCycleRun, bike24, bike-discount, Rose, Evans. Looking for the black/red ones. Yes, my bike is vain!

Buy a new bike to match the Tyres...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Anyone know the best priced GP4000S II's

looking for 25s and my bike isnt vain

Rule 8

Match the saddle to the bars and the tires to black; or
    Match the bars to the color of the frame at the top of the head tube and the saddle to the color of the frame at the top of the seat tube and the tires to the color where they come closest to the frame; or
    Match the saddle and the bars to the frame decals; or
    Black, black, black

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Anyone know the best priced GP4000S II's

looking for 25s and my bike isnt vain

rosebikes.com/article/continental-grand-prix-4000-s-ii-tyre/aid:709344

30 each with 8 euro delivery but 10 euro off first order when you sign up for newsletter. cheaper in bulk buy! :-)

markusz wrote: »
    rosebikes.com/article/continental-grand-prix-4000-s-ii-tyre/aid:709344

30 each with 8 euro delivery but 10 euro off first order when you sign up for newsletter. cheaper in bulk buy! :-)
    Does article in 12 weeks not mean they are out of stock. When I went through the discount wasnt applied!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Specialized have a tyre amnesty on again; 2 S-Works Turbos for €75. Best road tyres I have used.

For those who have vain bikes, there will be no colored GP4000S II's until at least June. I emailed Conti and a few distributors and that's the message coming back. Due to increased demand they are focusing on just producing just black for now.

For those who have vain bikes, there will be no colored GP4000S II's until at least June. I emailed Conti and a few distributors and that's the message coming back. Due to increased demand they are focusing on just producing just black for now.
    When will i be even able to get 25s black. discount-bike put date of next lot out till 31st March. Was supposed be some today but either all gone when i logged in or no new ones

gypsy79 wrote: »
    When will i be even able to get 25s black. discount-bike put date of next lot out till 31st March. Was supposed be some today but either all gone when i logged in or no new ones

I just picked up 2x 700x23c's from Rose for €59 delivered (cheaper than only one from my LBS!!!). SwimCycleRun have 700x25c's for €78 delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

I just picked up 2x 700x23c's from Rose for €59 delivered (cheaper than only one from my LBS!!!). SwimCycleRun have 700x25c's for €78 delivered.

Halfords running 15% discount... and Conti 700x 25 coming in at €32.29 ea... so €64.58 a pair. Worth a punt????

Masala wrote: »
    Halfords running 15% discount... and Conti 700x 25 coming in at €32.29 ea... so €64.58 a pair. Worth a punt????

Any link? Don't see the GP4000S II's on their site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

Any link? Don't see the GP4000S II's on their site?

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-parts/tyres/continental-ultra-gatorskin-700-x-25-bike-tyre

Sorry..... didn't mean 4000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 heart_powerful

conti gp 4000's for racing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Went into my local shop for a GP4000, 66 quid for one, any one seen any decent ones around at the moment for a good price, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Went into my local shop for a GP4000, 66 quid for one, any one seen any decent ones around at the moment for a good price, cheers

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-folding-road-tyre-twin-pack/

89e for the pair.

Advertisement