Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Idol Vicar St Nov 7th 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Oh sweet jesus. Billy Fúcking Idol, there is a GOD!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

This will be fantastic. I'd call myself a bit of a lapsed rocker but would class his gig in the O2 a few years back as certainly one of my top 3 of all time. It was electric and the showmanship from Idol was second to none.

In a matter of months I was dragged to Thin Lizzy and Billy Idol. Was blown away by the two bands which I had unfairly judge as has-been oldies past their sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

ShagNastii wrote: »
    ..........would class his gig in the O2 a few years back as certainly one of my top 3 of all time. It was electric and the showmanship from Idol was second to none.

Agree 100%.

That was a fcuking great concert and is the second time I've seen him. I was right at the front of the stage all night. One thing that really impressed me was the fact that during the slower numbers he was signing autographs on tour programs and memorabilia - very accommodating of him. I even saw one person hand up a Generation X album (vinyl) to be signed.

The first Idol concert I was at was also in the point in December '91 if I recall correctly, this was around the time of his 'Charmed Life' album. I remember him coming out on stage and the place just went wild. During a part of the show he had a long silk shirt with a celtic cross embroidered on the back of it.

It will be a good night.

You might be interested in my post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Been to see Billy Idol a few times, he always puts on a good show and he always shows his pride in his Irish roots (Mother is from Cork).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Looking forward to this on Friday.
    The new album is pretty good, so no going to the gents when he says "here's a new one!" :D
    Reading his autobiography at the moment and that's well worth a read too.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Waiting for the missus to finish his autobiography. He looks great at 58, fooking body on him. Friday is gonna be biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Would he not be an ideal candidate for the elecrtic picnic?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I strongly recommend fans search YouTube for billy idol live at Rio! He was amazing in his hay day playing to mega crowds in Brazil

CPL 593H

So what was the verdict?
    Good old fashioned high octane rock & roll!
    Couldn't fault the show and he's got a good band behind him there as well.
    A few obnoxious p..cks tried barging their way to the front about halfway through.
    They annoyed everyone around them but f..k them, it didn't ruin a good gig.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

He was pretty epic,

Though I now want to hunt down and eliminate every individual who spent the entire show recording the gig on their f'n phones, really puts a damper on a gig when you cannot see a bloody thing except phone displays. Esp to the lanky git and his blonde bint with her Nikon v1, sod you that you think I'm a bit aggressive after you've had your camera at my eye level for the last hour, Ffs

Grrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

He was pretty epic,

Though I now want to hunt down and eliminate every individual who spent the entire show recording the gig on their f'n phones, really puts a damper on a gig when you cannot see a bloody thing except phone displays. Esp to the lanky git and his blonde bint with her Nikon v1, sod you that you think I'm a bit aggressive after you've had your camera at my eye level for the last hour, Ffs

Grrrrrrr

Some clown behind me practically had me in a feckin head lock for most of the last hour recording it whilst buck-leppin around the place at the same time - at least he said a few times that he was sorry for annoying me but I didn't want to be a buzz kill for my sister who had some absolute wagon stick the head on her for refusing to let her barge her way to the front - from her seat at the side :mad::mad:

Irritants aside it was, as Scruff Monkey said, pretty epic. Stoked to finally see Steve Stevens live too. Been a looooooong time since I was at such a high energy-down & dirty-knockabout gig and in such a diverse crowd.

Will do my damndest to be at the very front the next time he visits.

AND there was a bit of a punch up amongst a group of middle-aged men outside beforehand - thought they were touts but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

furiousox wrote: »
    Might do this one (seeing as it's on my birthday) :)
    Billy Idol in Vicar St on Nov 7th.
    Steve Stevens is the clincher though, be good to see him in action up close.

We share a birthday:D

Got brought to the gig as a birthday treat and it was brilliant. It's as much the Steve Stevens show as the Billy Idol show, he did most of the old favourites and lots of material from the new album too. Loved that it was as intimate as Vicar St although he could have filled it a few times over I reckon. I also saw himself and Steve in NYC recently at the launch of the CBGBs music & film festival. There was an interview & then a short acoustic set by the pair of them. I can't believe he's in such good shape for a man of 58!

It was freakin awesome, eventually got to see two of my idols. I'd see them at Download, but this was close up. Sound was bítchin, Idol is an adonis, Steve Stevens nailed it, I love that guy. There such iconic songs, that will stand the test of time. The dude in the background on keys/guitar was one miserable fock. Crowd was awesome!

What was the dealio with the dude on beforehand, presumably he works for Nova. A dj he was not, stuck on the same Bon Jovi song twice. It was like the Father Ted episode where ghost town is on repeat.

it was a bit like listening to radio nova...:D

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    it was a bit like listening to radio nova...:D

The exact same songs that they play on a daily basis then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

brilliant show. how old is he now? his physique had my friend swooning. The place rocked.

brilliant show. how old is he now? his physique had my friend swooning. The place rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    What was the dealio with the dude on beforehand, presumably he works for Nova. A dj he was not, stuck on the same Bon Jovi song twice. It was like the Father Ted episode where ghost town is on repeat.

Some pair of tits on him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Great gig.

They should really do something with guys holding their phones up and recording songs.

As someone said, it was as much the Steve Stevens show. Thought he was immense. He seemed a bit peeved at times though, was he signalling to the other guitarist a few times to notice what he was doing.

The only shame of the gig (apart from a **** in front of me recording a few songs) was that he didn't play Hot in the City. Great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Coburger wrote: »
    They should really do something with guys holding their phones up and recording songs.

Don't think anything will change until venues start chucking people out for filming the shows, would love to see it but then we will have to suffer the battle cry of self entitled little bitches* whinging about unfair treatment etc.....

(*bitches in this case being non gender specific)

Advertisement