Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chocolate covered coffee-beans?

• 05-09-2014 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

I might be accused of having being living under a rock, but I've just heard about these?

Anyone have any experience of these? Where can they be got, or can you make your own?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have often bought them abroad. Got some more recently in the Fruit and Veg shop in the North Strand. I'd say places like Fallon and Byrne in Dublin probably have them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Might make some of my own, or am I being overly-ambitious? I'm presuming there's not much to it, just take the roasted beans and cover them in the chocolate of my choice? That's what youtube tells me anyways :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would probably need to find some way of covering the chocolate so that they did not all end up in a clump.
    Regardless, you could always eat your mistakes.

I'm going to melt dark choc in the pan and throw in the beans and then separate them on wax paper as they cool. I'll report back! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

catallus wrote: »
    I'm going to melt dark choc in the pan and throw in the beans and then separate them on wax paper as they cool. I'll report back! :)

Yeah I do this often. Use a darker roast as you want it to be edible - very light roasts would probably chip a few teeth. I also use white choc sometimes. It's quite the study aid!

• Advertisement

How do you separate them? I'm thinking just taking them individually from the pan with a fork?

How do you separate them? I'm thinking just taking them individually from the pan with a fork?

pop on baking sheet, try and separate mostly while hot, go back a little later and separate a little bit more when they have cooled a bit. You get a few clumps of 2-3 beans but they are also great so no biggie

What choc do you use?

What choc do you use?

lidl has some great value for money dark choc, or their cooking choc is great to work with as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Might try making them myself sometime. I bought them before from Carluccios in town, they are really expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I don't get it. I've seen them before, but I always just suck off the chocolate and dump the bean after rolling it around in my mouth for 5 or 10 minutes.. It's not like roasted beans are nice or anything. Or am I missing something?

z

zagmund wrote: »
    I don't get it. I've seen them before, but I always just suck off the chocolate and dump the bean after rolling it around in my mouth for 5 or 10 minutes.. It's not like roasted beans are nice or anything. Or am I missing something?

z

yes, your 're supposed to chew the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Jezek wrote: »
    yes, your 're supposed to chew the whole thing.

But that's what I meant in my original post. I used to chew them, but I've given up because it just produces unpleasant bits of coffee bean.

Maybe I'll give it another go, but I'm not hopeful.

z

Advertisement