Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right of way.

• 05-09-2014 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I've recently started cycling regularly. The place I am cycling is an off road cycle path adjacent to the footpath. As of now I get off the bike and walk across the parts of the cycle path that are passing entrances to other roads. What is the correct procedure here? Do I keep going or do I stop for cars? I'm not sure if I explained this clearly enough or if I posted it in the correct forum! Sorry if not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I generally go with the procedure of not getting knocked down. I wouldnt trust procedure anyway because just because you know doesnt mean the driver knows or cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You have no right of way at junctions unless on a road defined cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's probably a yield sign on your path at these junctions? If so, you give way to vehicles already on these roads.

You should be permitted to continue by bike, rather than dismounting all the time. You could even ride on the road to stop all that dismounting/remounting. If there's a specific junction you're wondering about, post a street view link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

There's probably a yield sign on your path at these junctions? If so, you give way to vehicles already on these roads.

You should be permitted to continue by bike, rather than dismounting all the time. You could even ride on the road to stop all that dismounting/remounting. If there's a specific junction you're wondering about, post a street view link.

Hi!

This is the link (I think this link works I'm not exactly sure how to send links to maps :confused: ) https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.666752,-8.580095,3a,75y,25.95h,65.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swiYypfbebmsjkARGGTMd9Q!2e0

Its the road before the bus stop that the cycle path comes off the footpath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi!
    I've recently started cycling regularly. The place I am cycling is an off road cycle path adjacent to the footpath. As of now I get off the bike and walk across the parts of the cycle path that are passing entrances to other roads. What is the correct procedure here? Do I keep going or do I stop for cars? I'm not sure if I explained this clearly enough or if I posted it in the correct forum! Sorry if not!

What you are doing is prudent and good personal policy to follow if "who has right of way" is unclear. Cycling on roadside paths requires much greater caution at junctions than cycling on the road.

Even where it would appear, from your perspective, that cyclists have the right of way, some turning motorists may not act as if they accept that.

The issue of what is correct is more of a political or philosophical question. Most cyclists would be of the view that the cyclist should always have the normal right of way at side roads. Unfortunately this view is not always shared by those who construct cycle facilities.

So there is not a single clear rule that can be assumed to apply at all locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Hi!

If any doubt, cycle on the road?

Hi!

This is the link (I think this link works I'm not exactly sure how to send links to maps :confused: ) https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.666752,-8.580095,3a,75y,25.95h,65.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swiYypfbebmsjkARGGTMd9Q!2e0

Ok the white triangle on the bicycle path theoretically means that crossing cars have right of way over the cycle path.

Now that doesnt necessarily mean you should get off and walk either. If you want to cycle through you need to be extra observant for cars that may turn across your path. This includes cars coming from behind. So you need to practise checking over your shoulder as you approach the junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Send query to your local authority? I don't think they consider these things half the time when building them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

spectacularly dangerous junction with that cycle path. I would make sure to move onto the road in advance of it. or stop and walk or cycle very carefully as you do.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll just walk altogether. I wouldn't feel safe cycling on the road at the time I'll be using it because it would be extremely busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

cob1 wrote: »
    spectacularly dangerous junction with that cycle path. I would make sure to move onto the road in advance of it. or stop and walk or cycle very carefully as you do.

Really?

You wouldn't just glance over your right shoulder as you approached the junction, yield if necessary, and then continue on your merry way?

That looks like a grand cycle path to me...

AltAccount wrote: »
    Really?

That looks like a grand cycle path to me...

OK I was debating whether to bring this up but a lady called Nadia Lescuier lost her life trying to use the cycle paths on this road.

(Although I don't think that incident happened at this location)

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/cyclist-died-after-being-dragged-under-truck-in-limerick-accident-1-4923810

This is not the first time something like this has happened on Irish cycle facilities..

Stay safe folks. Rest in peace Nadia.

Neither the description of the accident nor the outcome of the inquest mention the cycle path that I can see.

That sounds like that accident would have happened whether the cyclist was on the road or the cycle path.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Neither the description of the accident nor the outcome of the inquest mention the cycle path that I can see.

That sounds like that accident would have happened whether the cyclist was on the road or the cycle path.

Look again so;
    “I was certain it would stop to let us go, he should have stopped,” he said adding that he and his wife were on a cycle-lane at the time.
    He said in his opinion the layout of the entrance to the construction site was a factor as was the driving of truck driver on the day, which he said had been “inappropriate”.

One issue with on-road cycle paths is that they can leave you on the inside of left turning traffic, whereas on the road near a junction a cyclist is better off to take the lane. IMHO, such cycle lanes represent a hazard that wouldn't be there at a junction without a cycle lane.

Without the cycle lane, it seems less likely the cyclist would have been on the inside of a left turning truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

People on bikes need to be super aware of the blind spots trucks have and the dangers they represent. I will never go up the inside of a Lorry if there are any left turns in sight, and generally avoid going up the inside unless I have a hard shoulder to myself or similar.

We are getting away from the point.
    The poster brought up a particular issue which I've noticed.
    You have a cycle path beside a main road/street (not on the street - it is a separate path).
    However, when you come to junctions, the stop line for the traffic on the minor road is on the outside of the cycle path. This gives the impression that the driver on the minor road has right of way over the cyclist who is on the cycle path along the main road.
    On some routes, there are minor roads like this very often.
    I think these confusions are very dangerous and local authorities and the people who design them - and spend a lot of public money on them - should be held accountable.
    But we don't have any strong lobby group for cyclists.
    That's why I suggested the poster email his/her local authority with the query.

fixie fox wrote: »
    We are getting away from the point.
    That's why I suggested the poster email his/her local authority with the query.

I will do that. Thanks :)

smacl wrote: »
    Look again so;

One issue with on-road cycle paths is that they can leave you on the inside of left turning traffic, whereas on the road near a junction a cyclist is better off to take the lane. IMHO, such cycle lanes represent a hazard that wouldn't be there at a junction without a cycle lane.

Without the cycle lane, it seems less likely the cyclist would have been on the inside of a left turning truck.

I was referring to the findings (or whatever you'd call them):
    Forensic collision investigator James O’Brien examined the scene of the accident and in his report he stated that the truck was working correctly on the day. He said he could find no evidence that the bicyle was defective.

He attributed the cause of the accident to a combination of factors.

He said in his opinion the layout of the entrance to the construction site was a factor as was the driving of truck driver on the day, which he said had been “inappropriate”.

Garda O’Brien added that it appeared Ms Lescuier had not given enough attention to the truck as it was passing her on the road.

No mention of cycle lanes.

You'd be up the inside of the truck whether you were on a cycle lane or the road. I'm not sure if/how the cycle lane added to the injuries or created the circumstances.

Anyhoo, my point was that I don't feel the cycle lane is particularly unsafe, that the OP should cycle the route, and should ensure to look around well and yield when they're "crossing the road", just like they would if they were a pedestrian. Otherwise, cycle away and enjoy the reduced journey times.

It's cycling, not rocket surgery. We should be encouraging people to build their confidence and road sense, not scaring them off the road with accounts of freak accidents that happened to include bikes...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hi!

In this particular case there is absolutely no doubt in my mind. As has already been pointed out there is quite clealy a yield sign painted on the cycle track, and it's purpose is to make clear that in this particular case left-turning traffic from the road (or right-turning oncoming traffic) have right of way. It's very similar to that roundabout with a segregated cycle lane we discussed some time ago.

The situation would be different if it was an on-road cycle lane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You'd be up the inside of the truck whether you were on a cycle lane or the road. I'm not sure if/how the cycle lane added to the injuries or created the circumstances.

I most certainly wouldn't be inside a truck at a junction that had the option of a left turn. In that case I would always join the traffic and take a space in the lane. The presence of a cycle lane discourages this.
    Anyhoo, my point was that I don't feel the cycle lane is particularly unsafe, that the OP should cycle the route, and should ensure to look around well and yield when they're "crossing the road", just like they would if they were a pedestrian. Otherwise, cycle away and enjoy the reduced journey times.

It's cycling, not rocket surgery. We should be encouraging people to build their confidence and road sense, not scaring them off the road with accounts of freak accidents that happened to include bikes...

At the same time, it does makes sense to let people know that some of the cycling infrastructure is so poorly laid out that it can be dangerous. Cycle lanes on the left of left turning points at junctions are one example, cycle lanes following the outside of roundabouts are another. Unfortunately, it is counter-intuitive to leave a cycle lane at a junction, but if you look at a junction like this you're safer out of the cycle lane if you're going straight ahead than in the lane. It may not be brain science, but for a newbie cyclist, it is not exactly obvious either.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    In this particular case there is absolutely no doubt in my mind. As has already been pointed out there is quite clealy a yield sign painted on the cycle track, and it's purpose is to make clear that in this particular case left-turning traffic from the road (or right-turning oncoming traffic) have right of way. It's very similar to that roundabout with a segregated cycle lane we discussed some time ago.

The situation would be different if it was an on-road cycle lane

But, does a sign painted on a path have legal status? It wouldn't on a road.
    And, is that kind of 'signage' good enough for cyclists when life and limb are at stake?

And, is that kind of 'signage' good enough for cyclists when life and limb are at stake?

This might sound like a stupid question, but why the reliance on strict legal definition?

I don't really care whether there's the requisite signpost there, the point of the triangle on the ground is to say "don't just plough ahead, you're coming into conflict with other traffic and they have priority here."

If there was a tragic accident there, I'm sure there'd be a detailed discussion over signage, but in the meantime do you not think the inverted triangle painted on the ground conveys the required information?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If it doesn't then a cyclist has no priority crossing the road anyway. The vehicles on the road have right of way.

...do you not think the inverted triangle painted on the ground conveys the required information?

Not really. E.G In the wet, windy and dark evenings is it ok to have cyclist looking at the ground for signage, and would it even be visible? I'm just making the general point that where car lanes and cycle paths intersect things should be much clearer than that. Why are we happy with such poor infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Some of my cycle routes have features like the one linked by the OP. When I first got back into cycling I thought great, cycle paths off the road, how nice. But after using them for a few weeks I quickly realised that when you approach one of these junctions on an off road cycle path you really have to have your wits about you to do it without having to come to a complete stop. Because you are cycling across the border of a minor road which is adjoining a major road there are NINE different maneuvers cars can pull at the junction. So while cars can be coming and going from nine possible directions at the one junction a cyclist realy has to have their wits about them and observe all around them before getting to the junction.

I thought about the situation more and because of my style of cycling where I want to keep moving as much as possivle I decided that the best thing to do when approaching a cycle lane going over a junction like the OP has linked is to look over your right shoulder around 50m-60m before you reach the junction and at the first safe opportunity shift your bike off the cycle lane and onto the road. That way you are now treated by motorists as a cyclist on the road who has the right to cycle straight ahead on the major road without any confusion as to who has right of way.

IMO being more assertive with the road and using it when it is safest for you to do so is the best way to tackle design problems as the one linked. If a cyclist stays on that cycle path when they reach the junction they are suddenly downgraded to pedestrian status to get across the junction. Its better to get your bike onto the road so you announce your presence to motorists far in advance of the junction rather than sticking to the cycle lane where youre invisible to them and they pay no notice because you're not on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi!

That road will only be open from 8 to 10am Monday to Friday during the academic term. The traffic will be going one direction to the North Campus, right to left as shown on the map. There will be campus security personal there ushering the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Muahahaha wrote: »
    IMO being more assertive with the road and using it when it is safest for you to do so is the best way to tackle design problems as the one linked. If a cyclist stays on that cycle path when they reach the junction they are suddenly downgraded to pedestrian status to get across the junction. Its better to get your bike onto the road so you announce your presence to motorists far in advance of the junction rather than sticking to the cycle lane where youre invisible to them and they pay no notice because you're not on the road.

I think you're completely right, but I also think the advice isn't always entirely practical. It can be pretty difficult to come off a segregated facility and insert yourself safely and legally into a stream of fast-moving and heavy traffic. Even the most competent and fittest of cyclists are sometimes forced off their ideal line and into the gutter or off the road altogether. Up to speed limits of about 30 km/h, I think absolutely anybody should be able to cycle assertively. A ten-year old cycling home from school, an eighty-year old cycling home with shopping, everybody and anybody. But in faster traffic, being assertive and clear about your road positioning and claiming your space is not easy - it certainly takes a thick skin.

Yeah I agree with you, often coming off a segregated cycle track back onto the road involves crossing a grass verge, which may in winter turn to mud. The hop down from the kerb can sometimes be steep and the edges of the road are where you'll plonk your tyres into the most glass & debris. But all that aside and assuming that the cyclist has the balance and observation skills necessary to complete the manouvre I think its probably a safer way to tackle the type of junction previously linked. Its not something you'd teach kids to be doing, on the other hand you'd prefer see them cross as a predestrian at a junction like that.

Anyway I guess I'm just relating my own particular route and how I deal with badly designed cycle lanes like the one the OP linked. Its a style of cycling that I'm comfortable with probably because I also motorbike which is all about taking position on the road and sometimes aggressively so you stay out of cars blind spots. Being an experienced motorcyclist has helped me a lot as a cyclist when it comes to urban cycling, I suppose as a motorcyclist you're trained to be ultra observant of the environment around you which helps a great deal when cycling amongst traffic too.

Not really. E.G In the wet, windy and dark evenings is it ok to have cyclist looking at the ground for signage, and would it even be visible? I'm just making the general point that where car lanes and cycle paths intersect things should be much clearer than that. Why are we happy with such poor infrastructure.

Its a private road with a gate blocking it. Chances of traffic on that road in the evening is extremely slim.

Traffic Notice

To alleviate congestion and delay at the Main Entrance in the mornings, we are glad to announce that with effect from Monday 8th Sept 2014 and continuing until the end of term, commuters traveling from the city via the Groody roundabout, can use the private road immediately on the left after the Groody roundabout from 8am to 10am each morning. This is for entrance-only for the times stated.

The Main Entrance will continue to be accessible for all traffic, the additional entrance will help ease the traffic congestion particularly as we enter start-of-term.

Buildings and Estates Department
    www.ul.ie/buildings

• Advertisement

Hi!

That photo is out of date. There is no white triangle on the cycle lane now.

Will post up a photo tomorrow.

If you are not sure how cycle facilities can add to injuries or collision liklihood then perhaps you should do some research.

If you are not prepared to do any research then, with respect, the responsible thing to do is keep your views to yourself rather than advising others based on your "feelings". Likewise if you have not done any research it is difficult to see how you are in a position to say what is or is not a "freak accident"

As it happens other people have done the research, in this case the German Federal Institute for Road Research.

"Sicherung von Radfahrern an städtischen Knotenpunkten" Bericht zum Forschungsvorhaben 8925 der Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen Bd. 262, Bergisch Gladbach 1992. ISSN 0173-7066

http://pdeleuw.de/fahrrad/fdf/fdf-189.html
    LKW sind an Radfahrerunfällen an Knotenpunkten mit Radweg fast doppelt so häufig beteiligt als an Knotenpunkten ohne Radweg

Roughly translated "Commercial vehicles were almost twice as likely to be participants in collisions with cyclists at junctions with cycle paths as at junctions without cycle paths".

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

It is illegal to cycle on footpaths, yet we put cycle lanes on footpaths and have silly junctions like these. :rolleyes:

I just avoid cycle lanes as much as possible. Although I appreciate the sentiment of whomever implemented them, they are dangerous due to their poor design. It is unfortunate that certain motorists become enraged at the sight of me cycling on the road instead of on the adjacent footpath/cycle lane combination (usually taxi drivers). They sometimes beep the horn and usually just do the old aggressive overtake (high speed, very little clearance). I don't know which is more concerning, the danger they put me in or the ignorance that makes them do it.

Now that I am finished ranting, I think OP should keep giving right of way to the motorists at this junction, or any junction where you are cycling on what is essentially a footpath.

If you are not prepared to do any research then, with respect, the responsible thing to do is keep your views to yourself rather than advising others based on your "feelings"

Right so, no posting opinions on boards.ie, just research based facts. Can we get the Charter updated?

In the meantime the OP gas stated they're happier walking. We scared them off with the research.
    Hopefully that doesn't happen too often, as I believe there's other research that says there's safety in numbers....

Right so, no posting opinions on boards.ie, just research based facts. Can we get the Charter updated?

Yes I agree. There are certain fields that are specialties and involve risk of injury or of negative legal outcomes. If you go around purporting to offer (unfounded and unupported) medical advice and someone suffers injury as a result of that advice then you have no defence in claiming you "meant well". If you come on here offering medical advice you will get shut down very quickly.

How is advising people on using roads in a safe and legal manner any different?

Yes I agree. There are certain fields that are specialties and involve risk of injury or of negative legal outcomes. If you go around purporting to offer (unfounded and unupported) medical advice and someone suffers injury as a result of that advice then you have no defence in claiming you "meant well". If you come on here offering medical advice you will get shut down very quickly.

How is advising people on using roads in a safe and legal manner any different?

So you feel my common sense advice that

"the OP should cycle the route, and should ensure to look around well and yield when they're "crossing the road", just like they would if they were a pedestrian."

should be backed up by research or else it's not a valid post/opinion?

• Advertisement

@galwaycyclist - leave it out - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the comments made by AltAccount and demanding he does further research is not on

Any question PM me - do not respond in-thread

Thanks

Beasty

Pompous wrote: »
    It is illegal to cycle on footpaths, yet we put cycle lanes on footpaths and have silly junctions like these. :rolleyes:

I just avoid cycle lanes as much as possible. Although I appreciate the sentiment of whomever implemented them, they are dangerous due to their poor design. It is unfortunate that certain motorists become enraged at the sight of me cycling on the road instead of on the adjacent footpath/cycle lane combination (usually taxi drivers). They sometimes beep the horn and usually just do the old aggressive overtake (high speed, very little clearance). I don't know which is more concerning, the danger they put me in or the ignorance that makes them do it.

Now that I am finished ranting, I think OP should keep giving right of way to the motorists at this junction, or any junction where you are cycling on what is essentially a footpath.

Yeah I feel the same, as I've realised that these cycle lanes on footpaths are dangerous for any cyclist who wants to keep moving. On one of my routes I cycle the backroads of Dublin 11, up by Ballycoolin Industrial Estate. The roads and area are a Celtic Tiger thing so every road in the area has a footpath mounted cycle path which I used a lot at first. But the industrial estate is full of roudabouts too so when you arrive at one on the cycle path you are then downgraded to pedestrian status. I used to use them that way, come to a compete halt, look right and left and then cycle across the pedestrian crossing and build up momentum again till the next one. But then I statred dismounting the cycle path before the roundabout and carrying straight on through it with the general flow of traffic. But now I just dont bother with the cycle lane at all, the roads are of Celtic Tiger width and theres actually more than enough space for an on road cycle lane but the council seems to favour these hybrid solutions which then end up causing conflicts and kind of ruin the enjoyment of a good cycle. There is sections of the Old Airport Road going from the airport towards Santry which have cycle lanes on paths. The new sections nearer the airport are a pretty good job in terms of surface and I also like the way the path, which is around 2.5m wide, isnt delineated between pedestrians and cyclists and instead its up to common sense to avoid one another. Anyway as you get nearer to Santry the cycle lane on the path crosses the driveways to a number of houses whereby the path you're on drops down in grove to road level and then back up for every single driveway. It also must be a bit nerve racking for the people who live there coming out of their drive ways. Expecting a pedestrian is one thing but it must be hard to condition yourself to be aware of cyclists too.

IMO the solution to all of this is that cycle lane on paths should re-merge with the major road 50-60m before the junction and then after it rejoin onto a path. Signage wouold be needed to warn motorists of a merging cycle land and also to warn the cyclists too. Then at the point at which they merge you protect the cycle lane with those plastic reflective barriers that you see they've used on the south end of O'Connell St near the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

The new sections nearer the airport are a pretty good job in terms of surface and I also like the way the path, which is around 2.5m wide, isnt delineated between pedestrians and cyclists and instead its up to common sense to avoid one another. Anyway as you get nearer to Santry the cycle lane on the path crosses the driveways to a number of houses whereby the path you're on drops down in grove to road level and then back up for every single driveway.

That's funny, the cycle lane you are talking about here is one I don't use, because of the downgrading-to-pedestrian effect at this junction (outdated picture, just showing location). After that it crosses many driveways, as you said (too many for my liking). Which is unfortunate because it really is a nice surface. This is also the only place where I have said issues with taxi drivers and Dublin Bus doing their aggressive overtaking stunts, because in their mind they cannot understand why I am not using the shiny new bike lane.

Pompous wrote: »
    That's funny, the cycle lane you are talking about here is one I don't use, because of the downgrading-to-pedestrian effect at this junction (outdated picture, just showing location). After that it crosses many driveways, as you said (too many for my liking). Which is unfortunate because it really is a nice surface. This is also the only place where I have said issues with taxi drivers and Dublin Bus doing their aggressive overtaking stunts, because in their mind they cannot understand why I am not using the shiny new bike lane.

Yeah to be honest Ive more or less stopped using that new shiny cycle lane outside the airport heading towards Santry. Its a great surface and you can keep good speed on it but again when you reach junctions you're forced into crossing them like a pedestrian. Recently I just stick to the bus lane when covering that route, I've gotten fitter through cycling over the summer so I'm trying to get faster and having to come to an almost halt at every junction to get across it isnt exactly conducive to keeping your effort, momenturm and heart rate up.

I havent yet had any taxis/buses pass me by at close quaters while using the bus lane, it'll probably happen at some stage as I do that route at least twice a week. The practice doesnt really bother me when it actually happens as by the time you realise it they are passed you/ But my fear about it is when I'm cycling if I spot a bit of glass or an empty coke can, etc at the last second you might budge the wheel to avoid it and if at that particular moment a taxi or bus was out to 'teach you a lesson' then it could quickly turn into a problem. I dont commute on the bike so have only come across this behaviour by byses/taxis once or twice and even then I couldnt be sure if it was delibrate. Nonetheless if I was commuting and it was happening as regualrly as some cyclists on the Stillorgan dual carraigeway thread are reporting then I'd think its time to invest in a helmet cam and just keep reporting every incident with the Gardai. If professional drivers realise that cyclists are now armed with cameras they'll soon think twice about delibretaly putting them in danger, the reason they do it now is solely because they think they wont get caught. All it takes is a caution from a Garda to a taximan or bus driver for dangerous driving. Given they need their drivers license to earn a living once they are caught and warned once then they'll think twice about doing it again for fear that it gets reported for the second time the Gardai might charge them with dangerous driving, which isnt a good position to be in when your income depends on driving. Cyclists have got to stand up for themselves, the sooner taxis and buses realise theres a good chance their dangerous driving is being recorded they'll soon think twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... that new shiny cycle lane outside the airport heading towards Santry. Its a great surface and you can keep good speed on it but again when you reach junctions you're forced into crossing them like a pedestrian.....

....I havent yet had any taxis/buses pass me by at close quaters while using the bus lane, it'll probably happen at some stage as I do that route at least twice a week.
    I don't use it either because of the junctions. Complete waste of money. They could have just widened the left lane slightly and put in a simple cycle track instead. Ironically, years ago it was much easier to cycle there when there was no bus lanes and a nice hard shoulder.

I'm on it several times per week and I've had a few close passes from buses and a few gestures/shouts about cycle lanes from taxi drivers.

It's particularly annoying when then shout about the amount of money spent on the cycle track - as if we asked for it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement