Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact with Recruitment agency before arrival??

Options
  • 05-09-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I have my IEC POE sorted and am working on clearing the debts.
    Is there any way or any point in contacting recruitment agencies before I arrive in Toronto? My Cv needs a lot of work. Has anyone any tips or advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

The question you should be asking, is why wouldn't you? Laying as much ground work as possible before you go over is vital if you wish to get work relatively quickly.

Personally, I've put in about 3 months of job applications (200-250 job applied) before leaving and after a 5 week process I now have a job going over (leaving in 6 days now). If you're persistent you will get a job. It's a numbers game at the end of the day. Blitz it and you'll get something eventually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

who are the best agencies to go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I got on to Hays Toronto yesterday- I'm in Peterborough til the end of next month.

The guy said seeing as I'm Irish I won't have any issue getting contract/temp work, as we're a good community there. Said I might find it hard to get something perm though, given the 2 year work permit.

I'm to get in touch nearer the time to suss out the temp roles sitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbygyrl

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    The question you should be asking, is why wouldn't you? Laying as much ground work as possible before you go over is vital if you wish to get work relatively quickly.

Personally, I've put in about 3 months of job applications (200-250 job applied) before leaving and after a 5 week process I now have a job going over (leaving in 6 days now). If you're persistent you will get a job. It's a numbers game at the end of the day. Blitz it and you'll get something eventually ;)

Hi Irish Teddi, if you don't mind me asking what area of work are you in and is this the same field you have got your job in Canada? Also, did you apply via recruitment agencies or the companies themselves or both? The reason I'm asking is all the recruitment agencies I've contacted tell me to contact them again when I'm over there. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

bobbygyrl wrote: »
    Hi Irish Teddi, if you don't mind me asking what area of work are you in and is this the same field you have got your job in Canada? Also, did you apply via recruitment agencies or the companies themselves or both? The reason I'm asking is all the recruitment agencies I've contacted tell me to contact them again when I'm over there. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. Contacted a few recruitment agencies but they either don't respond or tell me to contact when I arrive. Also, Hays havent responded how did you get a direct line to them?

Anyone have any links to reputable recuitment agencies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

There's no point contacting a recruitment agency before you go over. Until you're available to come in and register with them in person they won't consider you for any vacancies.

Advertisement