Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Port PoE Injector for IP CCTV

Options
  • 05-09-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello,
    I've just bought a HIKVision DS-2CD2032 (I tried to post a link but it got blocked) I ordered a PoE switch online but when it arrived it turned out not to be PoE and it has to go back.

In the mean time I've been doing a bit of searching around and found this (Again, my link got blocked, please search eBay.ie for "POE-8 Power over Ethernet Injector - passive PoE - 8 lan and 8 lan+poe ports")

Would this be ok to run this type of camera? I already have a Netgear Prosafe 24 port unmanaged switch with plenty of room left on it so if I didn't have to buy another switch then I wouldn't.

I have that Hikvison IP camera at the minute but I plan to go up to to about 5 over time.

Regarding the other parts of this setup, I've a NAS to record video to and I've an Android TV box which I'm hoping will allow me to watch the videos in real time on the TV when I need to with some app or another.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You just need to make sure that the switch can handle the power consumption from your cameras.
    Hikvision nvrs come with poe built in if you decide to go that route.
    You could also just use a standard 12dc supply as that camera has a dc jack as well as the rj45

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ruskey

Thanks for the reply. I have a 12v supply and fitted it to the camera but it isn't enough to power it. The camera comes with an IP of 192.0.0.64 as standard so when I change my laptop to match its IP range (ie make my laptop 192.0.0.60) and plug in the 12v supply it works fine.

But, when I change the camera to suit my LAN (ie 192.168.0.50) and plug the camera into the switch and the 12v supply it doesn't seem to have enough power. If I continuously ping the camera I can see that it's continuously switching on and off again while this doesn't happen when it's plugged into the NIC of my laptop.

The only thing I can think of is that the 12v supply isn't enough to power it on its own and it gets extra power from the NIC and it doesn't get that extra power from the switch to keep it up.

I'm confident that the PoE switch will power this but just wondering if that 8 port PoE injector would work as it's cheaper and I've plenty of space on the normal unmanaged switch and if I didn't have to buy another switch then I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

I wouldn't say this is a power issue at all - I don't think you laptop NIC card would supply power of Ethernet.

Are you sure your router doesn't already support POE? I've a 24port prosafe router also - and it does support POE.

Try plugging it into the router, without the 12V supply - would you be overloading it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ruskey

Thanks for the reply.

My router is only a bog standard unmanaged/unpowered switch. I don't think there is power coming from the NIC either it's just that I can't explain why it goes down when I plug it into the switch. When I unplug the power supply and leave it plugged into the switch the camera is completely dead so no power is coming from the switch.

I got the 8 port PoE injector but it still doesn't work with the 48V supply via the ethernet cable.

I had someone looking at this for me a few days ago and it looks like it's a faulty camera. It just can't hold the power permanently when it doesn't have the 12V DC Power Supply plugged in (or when it's plugged into the 12v supply and the LAN/Switch).

When continuously pinging it I can see the packets being dropped when I try to access it via browser. It looks like there is too little power going to it and when I try to log in via a browser to check the settings it consumes that bit too much power and it switches off before switching back on again.

The strange thing is that it works flawlessly when plugged into the 12V supply and the laptop's NIC.

I ordered it from China so it's going to have to go the whole way back there before being replaced which will take a while.

When the replacement arrives I'll post the results back up here in case anyone is interested.

Advertisement