Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo a city??

Options
  • 05-09-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

When did Sligo become a city. Drove up from galway for the first time in ten years and I seen signs saying Sligo city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

6/9/04

cena wrote: »
    When did Sligo become a city. Drove up from galway for the first time in ten years and I seen signs saying Sligo city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sligo is a town.

This hasn't stopped the local authorities from putting up many signs which include the word "city".

Sligo town had a borough council, not a city council.

There are five cities in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sligo is the 19th biggest town in Ireland, by population.

Its 2011 pop was 19,452.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And it had a city loop and city core :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

For tourism and gateway purposes I'd say. Whats the criteria here? A caterdral, a third level institution, something else?
    Geuze wrote: »
    Sligo is a town.

This hasn't stopped the local authorities from putting up many signs which include the word "city".

Sligo town had a borough council, not a city council.

There are five cities in Ireland.

Ireland (the island) really only has two proper cities, three or four at a push, and even they are small cities at European/world comparisons.

Some of Irelands so called cities are smaller than say some the UK cities suburban towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

smallest 'city' i was ever in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

dougm1970 wrote: »

Bigger than Kilkenny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

dougm1970 wrote: »

Armagh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

be sure and follow the signs for 'city loop' and 'city core' you cant lost then in this big city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: In most European languages, there is NO DISTINCTION between 'city' and 'town', with the same word translating both English words; for example, ville in French, or Stadt in German. [ stolen from Wikipedia ]

In other words, the German word 'Stadt' is used to translate both 'city' AND 'town' and the French word 'ville' is used in the same way. [ I checked that using Google Translate so it seems to be true ]

Therefore, I propose that we need a new English word which serves the same purpose, a word that can be used in all situations. I suggest either 'cown' or 'titty'.

Sligo Cown ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: In most European languages, there is NO DISTINCTION between 'city' and 'town', with the same word translating both English words; for example, ville in French, or Stadt in German. [ stolen from Wikipedia ]

In other words, the German word 'Stadt' is used to translate both 'city' AND 'town' and the French word 'ville' is used in the same way. [ I checked that using Google Translate so it seems to be true ]

Therefore, I propose that we need a new English word which serves the same purpose, a word that can be used in all situations. I suggest either 'cown' or 'titty'.

Sligo Cown ???

Sligoville. We could even develop a stupid Facebook game based on it and make a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Sligo Cown ???

In German it is "Stadt" alright, but we also use the words "Kleinstadt" (small town) and "Grossstadt" (big town/city)

Advertisement