Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you change about Boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 steveblack572

Given a moderator will not change a decision in 99.9999999% of cases and appeals are upheld in 99.9999999999% of cases, it would seem that Boards has managed to get an extraordinarly infallible sub-set of the population to work fot it for free.

Quite amazing really.

Nail on head.

Poster banned , they appeal, gets no reply, escalates the complaint , gets reply, "it sliped through the cracks, we are looking into it".
    Finally gets a reply,
    "Alas a week has passed and your ban is over, no need to take it any further."

So a mod can ignore an appeal to a ban, then they are "looking into it" just as the ban ends, then decide no need to investigate the ban as it is now over, very convenient dont ya think.

humanji wrote: »
    It's very convenient that any action taken against you for breaking the rules will automatically "back up the assertion of the existence and protection of the hive."

I'll try again:

MOD NOTE: You've already had two feedback threads. You are NOT using this thread because you were banned from feedback. So stop posting here if all you're going to do is continue your feedback threads.

Correction was NOT banned from feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Nail on head.

Poster banned , they appeal, gets no reply, escalates the complaint , gets reply, "it sliped through the cracks, we are looking into it".
    Finally gets a reply,
    "Alas a week has passed and your ban is over, no need to take it any further."

So a mod can ignore an appeal to a ban, then they are "looking into it" just as the ban ends, then decide no need to investigate the ban as it is now over, very convenient dont ya think.
    The mods don't deal with ban appeals. CMods and Admins do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Given a moderator will not change a decision in 99.9999999% of cases and appeals are upheld in 99.9999999999% of cases, it would seem that Boards has managed to get an extraordinarly infallible sub-set of the population to work fot it for free.

Quite amazing really.

you'd be surprised at the amount of cards/bans that never reach the DRP because the mod turns around and says yeah, I was a bit too harsh there. I've done it loads of times.

Just cause you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

LizT wrote: »

And just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

catallus wrote: »
    And just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! ;)

I am paranoid and they are out to get me.

They know man, they know....

I've requested 35 cards be removed from posters' records after they've PMd me. I've lifted a significant amount of bans too, there isn't a quick and easy tool for that so I'm not sure how many exactly but a hell of a lot more than 35. I've also "lost" a couple of DRPs.

So yeh, we overturn a whole lot more than you would have any idea of before they ever get to DRP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

catallus wrote: »
    The sooner we in the resistance develop that time - machine the better, like in the Terminator movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I know nearly nothing about time machines, sorry to disappoint.

Flamethrowers is what I do. I'm all about flamethrowers. Didn't you get my CV yet?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Think I confused your CV with Czarcasm's one. My Bad. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

gugleguy wrote: »
    The sooner we in the resistance develop that time - machine the better, like in the Terminator movies.

I thought you already had invented that...before, in the past:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

When a post is deleted, I think a pm to the poster outlining why it was deleted would be helpful.
    It would also show some courtesy.
    Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I've requested 35 cards be removed from posters' records after they've PMd me..

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Seriously, why the defence of someone who is not interested in being in any way constructive in terms of how they engage here?
    He's being a dick (breaking main rule) - giving blanket abuse, but boo hoo, don't make snide comments to him.
    I did try to do this, he can't be reasoned with.

Can you please point to the part of the charter which says either of the following:
    "Attack the post and not the poster please.. unless of course they are not being constructive, in which case, flame the fcukers."

"Attack the post and not the poster please.. unless a user is being a total dick, in which case, please mock them with snide sarcasm while subtlety suggesting mental health problems."

"Attack the post and not the poster please.. unless you can't reason with the bastards, in which case please accuse them of attention seeking and post as many ad hominem attacks as you can possibly muster."

Because all I can find is:
    It's too easy to resort to personal abuse to try and finish an argument.

It devalues your statement and ruins the flow of good discussion. Please refrain from resorting to insulting other posters regardless of what they have said.

This rule is not just a rule for After Hours but for boards.ie as a whole.

We all know how easy it is to lose the head in an internet argument and pour scorn on another poster. If you do this then be prepared for the intervention of a moderator.

"Attack the post and not the poster" is a guideline you'll hear trotted out rather a lot. Try and keep to this rule.

As an alternative to insulting a poster if you have a problem with one of their posts use the report post function.

Do not attempt to use semantic loopholes to circumvent this rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

Fcuking hell.

Can a mod just infract my psychiatrist post, please?

Anything to stop the hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Quite amazing really.

I must be the exception then!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

No reply.

Typical hive mind.

Damn you mods!!!

*shakes fist angrily at a thought stealing pigeon*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

The Rabbit wrote: »
    Fcuking hell.

Can a mod just infract my psychiatrist post, please?

Anything to stop the hysteria.

You seem to be under the illusion that the requests for the attack the post and not the poster rule to be more rigorously enforced, by myself and a few other users, followed on from your post, when it didn't. You made your 'psychiatrist post' just after 5pm yesterday. Whereas I initially addressed the 'Attack the post, not the poster' issue, two hours previous to that, with the following post:
    The way to tackle objectionable opinions is to retort them with an opposing opinion or with evidence of some kind if it is felt to lend the case, it's not to poke fun at users by sarcastically mocking and sneering at them, or to suggest they lack intelligence, which happens all the time on threads when one or two users opinions differ to the majority, particularly if the majority happen to be mainly regulars.

In saying that, I've seen much more moderation of attack the post and not the poster on AH in recent times, than I have seen in years and imo, that can only be a good thing.

So relax. It's not about you.

Wha happened?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm a PHD now?

re: Mods never changing their minds etc.

They do all the time actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm a PHD now?

re: Mods never changing their minds etc.

They do all the time actually.

Yeah

One minute it's kebab next it's Chilli fries and cheese,

Bloody mods changing their minds all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Quite amazing really.

Bye bye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Personal Abuse Day. A fun-filled day of laughter and top class banter where posters can abuse each other without fear of the moderator banhammer. Maybe request a small donation from posters to fund the site or to give to charity.

Personal Abuse Day. A fun-filled day of laughter and top class banter where posters can abuse each other without fear of the moderator banhammer. Maybe request a small donation from posters to fund the site or to give to charity.
    I stand behind this tool's idea. :pac:

I am paranoid and they are out to get me.

They know man, they know....

Just because some of us know, doesn't mean we're out to get you.
    Treat people how you'd like to be treated and you'll be fine.

EunanMac wrote: »
    Treat people how you'd like to be treated and you'll be fine.
    What if you're a massochist?

Yeah

One minute it's kebab next it's Chilli fries and cheese,

Bloody mods changing their minds all the time.

Why would you have to choose between them?

Mmmmmm kebab with chilli cheese friiiiiies.

What if you're a massochist?

Then try golf, it'll be right up your street.

EunanMac wrote: »
    Then try golf, it'll be right up your street.
    kimky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why would you have to choose between them?

Mmmmmm kebab with chilli cheese friiiiiies.

Save it for the beers!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Well lads its been a good run, the 3 of us pretending to be 700,000 accounts but we've been rumbled by Stevy Black. Time to come clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

For the craic, allow posters to argue with a mod's decision on thread. Probably wouldn't leave this in place for long though.

On a more serious note, I'd also try to relax / reverse the constraints on the most controversial topics. Eg. threads in relation to Travellers, Junkies, the Roma community, beggars etc. In spite of all those discussions having been done to death, they've also become far too restricted over the past while on Boards IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Garzard wrote: »
    For the craic, allow posters to argue with a mod's decision on thread. Probably wouldn't leave this in place for long though.

On a more serious note, I'd also try to relax / reverse the constraints on the most controversial topics. Eg. threads in relation to Travellers, Junkies, the Roma community, beggars etc. In spite of all those discussions having been done to death, they've also become far too restricted over the past while on Boards IMO.

Tbh the only constraints put on these topics is no generalisations, no use of the word kncacker, pikey or other derogatory terms etc. If you can't have a conversation about travellers without calling them knackers or saying that they are all robbing bastards then go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

you'd be surprised at the amount of cards/bans that never reach the DRP because the mod turns around and says yeah, I was a bit too harsh there. I've done it loads of times.

That's because you're a decent fair mod. Some aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Removing the thanks button would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

not being allowed swear is dumb imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's because you're a decent fair mod. Some aren't.

I actually gagged a little bit reading that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

I wish people would put their age on their profile. It would help in some scenarios. It would explain opinions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I'd say a good 60-70% of all the forums would be better served by a single active thread rather than a mass of low-post low-traffic forums. Why is there a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy forum? The last post was 4 months ago, and I really doubt there's going to be an upsurge of activity in the HGtG world to warrant keeping it open. Same goes for most of the Games, Music, Region and Sports forums.

fare mod action.
    was told by someone in the know, paid members will get mod protection, us free members will get infracted,banned while the paid members get away with almost anything.
    free members should have been informed of this, so they could avoid a no win debate with paid members[picture beside name].

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eh.... not sure if serious. But nope. I have no real clue if someone is paid up or not and will ban or not as the case may be regardless. If they break the don't be a dick rule they get sanctioned for it. I've banned mods more than once. I'm sure I've banned subscribers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

fare mod action.
    was told by someone in the know, paid members will get mod protection, us free members will get infracted,banned while the paid members get away with almost anything.
    free members should have been informed of this, so they could avoid a no win debate with paid members[picture beside name].

Bullpoop

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have no real clue if someone is paid up or not .

eh..... picture beside name, hard to miss

eh..... picture beside name, hard to miss

All users can have an avatar, it's custom avatars that subs get

Someone was winding you up

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have no real clue if someone is paid up or not .

eh.......custom avatar beside name.
    mods should be upfront on preferential treatment, give free members the heads up that they cant win some debates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A clamp down on condescending posts and sarcastic sneering would be nice.

eh.......custom avatar beside name.
    mods should be upfront on preferential treatment, give free members the heads up that they cant win some debates

Firstly, you can sign up for one month, change your avatar, then unsubscribe and keep your avatar. So having a custom avatar does not mean you're a paid member it just means you were once upon a time.

Secondly, you don't have to have a custom avatar or change your name to italics, so there are plenty of subscribers who are not identified as such and mods have absolutely no way of seeing who is a subscriber or who is not without italics turned on.

Thirdly, regardless of any of that, your claim is complete and utter bollox and there are plenty of examples in the DRP & prison forum of people who have actually asked for preferential treatment because they've subscribed and they've been told to jog on.

So. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I would be delighted if they changed;
    having responses to a post UNDER the quoted post...(like fb comments)... there won't be so many pages of chit-chat back and forward that you couldn't give a hoot about/that go off topic... pages after the post was made!
    *my main blood boiler!!*

oh, and notifications if someone responded to a post or "thanked" it... I don't check my emails much, so on-site notifications/pop-up would be good!

Firstly, you can sign up for one month, change your avatar, then unsubscribe and keep your avatar. So having a custom avatar does not mean you're a paid member it just means you were once upon a time.

Secondly, you don't have to have a custom avatar or change your name to italics, so there are plenty of subscribers who are not identified as such and mods have absolutely no way of seeing who is a subscriber or who is not without italics turned on.

Thirdly, regardless of any of that, your claim is complete and utter bollox and there are plenty of examples in the DRP & prison forum of people who have actually asked for preferential treatment because they've subscribed and they've been told to jog on.

So. No.

Firstly, i understand boards is run as a commercial enterprise, if someone paid once, it would be wise to keep them sweet to try and get another payment from them

Secondly, why would anyone pay money and not use what they paid for, unless they also get preferential treatment on the downlow.

Thirdly, regardless of what you post here, the evidence is overwhelming that some posters get away with murder here, so your claim of no preferential treatment is bollox.

So.Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Scatter, he is on to us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement