Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A way into Software Development

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I disagree. The two are very different. Most people get restless in classrooms because they are listening for extended periods without responding or doing. The only comparable situations in work are conference calls and powerpoint presentations; two of the most unproductive uses of time in my experience.
    TBH, it depends on what he meant by 'restless'. There's a number of reasons why people with degrees are preferred over those without in the employment market, and one of them is that it is an indication of whether someone is able to stick out a protracted commitment to complete something without short term reward.

So while not the same as college, I've seen 'restless' leave development because they cannot hack having to plow though 10,000 lines of code, for a bug. Or write documentation. Or study up on different areas of technology.

This is why I suggested that the OP may not be - we simply don't know. However, when someone identifies as 'restless', I'd be a fool not to consider what this could potentially mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ItsFrugal

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I disagree. The two are very different. Most people get restless in classrooms because they are listening for extended periods without responding or doing. The only comparable situations in work are conference calls and powerpoint presentations; two of the most unproductive uses of time in my experience.

Exactly, and as I said above I did a 6 month internship so I know how big the difference is.

Advertisement