Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on Motor Bikes

• 05-09-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi there is there anyone out there that carries there dog on a motor bike, I bring my dog every where by car and now i want to get a motor Bike i want to see is there anyone out there that does this already and laws and saftly issue i need to have ps the dog is a small terrier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How are you planning on carrying the dog and do you have a bike licence or experience driving a bike?

(And yes I have a bike btw but I don't carry my dogs on it :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Bulin

tk123 wrote: »
    How are you planning on carrying the dog and do you have a bike licence or experience driving a bike?

(And yes I have a bike btw but I don't carry my dogs on it :p)

i drive a car and just passed me theory for bike i just wana travel as normal as i did with me dog, I am a learner permit holder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need a decent sized box for the back, securely mounted to a rack.
    Have a look at this thread for some ideas.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865643

Bulin wrote: »
    i drive a car and just passed me theory for bike i just wana travel as normal as i did with me dog, I am a learner permit holder
    me dog motor bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

For years when I was a young lad I rode a motorbike. I shot a lot at that time, and the dog travelled with me on the bike. The dog is quick to get used it when they realise they're getting out to hunt.
    It was no joke though carrying a wet manky dog after a days hunting, as well as a gun and whatever game was shot.

It seems like a lifetime ago now, I dunno would I like to go back to it, but it can be physically done.

• Advertisement

For years when I was a young lad I rode a motorbike. I shot a lot at that time, and the dog travelled with me on the bike. The dog is quick to get used it when they realise they're getting out to hunt.
    It was no joke though carrying a wet manky dog after a days hunting, as well as a gun and whatever game was shot.

It seems like a lifetime ago now, I dunno would I like to go back to it, but it can be physically done.

awh sweet so i am not the only person how did u set the bike up for em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

index.jpg This what you want

index.jpg This what you want
    would that be expseive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/226/117/

Here ya go, instructions to make your own ;)

Unfortunately my wooftie is a GS. I still haven't been able to persuade him onto the back! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Not sure what size your dog is but you can get doggy backpacks.

140543_sunnypet_tragetasche_sandy1_11_2011_0.jpg

I have 2 miniature dachshunds and for the past month or so I've been looking for the perfect solution to bring them to the beach with me. I don't have a car at all, just my motorbike and I'd love for them to get out more away from their walk and our land.
    The bag above is quite a hard shell and I think it would be quite handy to make something up to either attach it to the tank or the pillion seat.

• Advertisement

Not sure what size your dog is but you can get doggy backpacks.

140543_sunnypet_tragetasche_sandy1_11_2011_0.jpg

I have 2 miniature dachshunds and for the past month or so I've been looking for the perfect solution to bring them to the beach with me. I don't have a car at all, just my motorbike and I'd love for them to get out more away from their walk and our land.
    The bag above is quite a hard shell and I think it would be quite handy to make something up to either attach it to the tank or the pillion seat.

can u please post me where i can get this In Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

If you crash on a motorbike what are the chances of the dog surviving it.....

Aru wrote: »
    Sorry to say but ur question is rather stupid
    The question should be we survived it because the dog would be more secure then me. Can I place it down to ur jut trying to play smart. Ok how many dogs get run over how many dogs might run out in front of my wheel. I rather thin that the dog is safer on the bike then my front wheel. Also can I point out that bikers to have issue with other drivers on the road watching the bike. So can I place it down to you asking the question of can people be more careful on the road. But the real fact is look at the chats look at the pictures the people who are talking on this like myself are dog lovers and with the dog on the bike we would drive safer and slower. So can I ask to stick to the topic

The question should be we survived it because the dog would be more secure then me. Can I place it down to ur jut trying to play smart. Ok how many dogs get run over how many dogs might run out in front of my wheel. I rather thin that the dog is safer on the bike then my front wheel. Also can I point out that bikers to have issue with other drivers on the road watching the bike. So can I place it down to you asking the question of can people be more careful on the road. But the real fact is look at the chats look at the pictures the people who are talking on this like myself are dog lovers and with the dog on the bike we would drive safer and slower. So can I ask to stick to the topic

I think your response is a bit stupid tbh. Have you ever dropped a bike or come off one - if you did you'd realise how fragile you as well as the bike can be in the wrong situation - sometimes a situation that's out of your control. What did your insurance company say? What did your dog's insurance company say - assuming the dog is insured for third party liability in case it gets loose and there's an accident?

I think your response is a bit stupid tbh. Have you ever dropped a bike or come off one - if you did you'd realise how fragile you as well as the bike can be in the wrong situation - sometimes a situation that's out of your control. What did your insurance company say? What did your dog's insurance company say - assuming the dog is insured for third party liability in case it gets loose and there's an accident?

this is off topic it is a stupid question because there are two ways to look at it the bike and the dog are connect thge dog is safe on the tank. second is the fact if the dog is on me then the bike can fall and still safe. I been around bike along time now and if this topic is aginst the topic i have stated the we can talk about not carrying pillion people on your bike. the fact remain the bike thje topic is for the dog to keep the dog safe but u and i know that no matter what anything can happen so again this topic is startingto be a lil daft. Plkeasae stick to the topic. because this whole topic no one knows and know who can see the future. ps lets make a topic about dogs staying on leads because there the issue Biker have with dogs

Maybe you should ask a mod to move this to the biker forum then? You've posted in API about potentially putting your dog in danger so you're going to get replies on the back of that. I've 9 years no claims on my bike btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

this is off topic it is a stupid question because there are two ways to look at it the bike and the dog are connect thge dog is safe on the tank. second is the fact if the dog is on me then the bike can fall and still safe. I been around bike along time now and if this topic is aginst the topic i have stated the we can talk about not carrying pillion people on your bike. the fact remain the bike thje topic is for the dog to keep the dog safe but u and i know that no matter what anything can happen so again this topic is startingto be a lil daft. Plkeasae stick to the topic. because this whole topic no one knows and know who can see the future. ps lets make a topic about dogs staying on leads because there the issue Biker have with dogs

I'm finding your post difficult to read but I think I can somewhat understand what you are saying. The dog would most likely die in the event of a serious accident. The driver would have a better chance of survival as they would be wearing the appropriate safety gear (I assume you don't have a helmet or protective clothing for your dog). It just something to think about.

Maybe you should ask a mod to move this to the biker forum then? You've posted in API about potentially putting your dog in danger so you're going to get replies on the back of that. I've 9 years no claims on my bike btw
    it was on a biker furom but it was moved here btw.
    but the fact remind that the topic is meant to bring safety into account but no matter how safe u may think things are things to happen. So please take not of the fact it was on a biker furom and the mod moved it here.
    But also i do like the way that at the start is about the dog rather my safty and with out my safty the god i own will die either way because she would not settle in a new home and also dogs will be loyal to its owner, Ie give up eating etc
    So again the whole question is if you want to know if you are so worried about the dogs saft do not own one. because realistic thing about it is things to happen out of are own control been on a bike or not. accidents happen on or off bikes, this argument itself is meaning less just you been a drama queen and looking to start something to fill in the drama of ur life.

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm finding your post difficult to read but I think I can somewhat understand what you are saying. The dog would most likely die in the event of a serious accident. The driver would have a better chance of survival as they would be wearing the appropriate safety gear (I assume you don't have a helmet or protective clothing for your dog). It just something to think about.
    The topic is about safty wear and what to get to keep the dog safe oh there is site mention on this where u can by helmets like what i would wear. I can also say the the mod fcked up here . also i have to note i have writing difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The topic is about safty wear and what to get to keep the dog safe oh there is site mention on this where u can by helmets like what i would wear. I can also say the the mod fcked up here . also i have to note i have writing difficulties.

As you said the topic is keeping the dog safe on the bike to which my point is that it likely isn't possible on a bike.

GarIT wrote: »
    As you said the topic is keeping the dog safe on the bike to which my point is that it likely isn't possible on a bike.
    Possible yes if u got to make that statment where is the proof bikes are not safe,
    I have done a lot of research on this and found that a dog is more likely run of on a bike then been on one. The question is simple i have asked nothing more or less. The fact is it is been done in Ireland and abroad, and u are one person with ur own view to think this. I placed this on the bike section and it was moved here.
    the topic is simple
    if the topic i have asked stays on tipoc i may replky if this topic goes of track with simple mindedness i will not reply because i do not like drama freaks who sit online looking for ways to discourage others.

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/dogs-and-sidecars-a-match-made-in-motorcycle-heaven-1582768582

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ever since you first posted this topic, I too wondered about how safe the dog is being carried on a bike. I don't think it's a stupid question at all, particularly on this forum. It's absolutely on-topic.
    Your repeated requests to ask people to get back on topic, especially considering they're already on-topic and asking perfectly legitimate questions for this forum, is back-seat moderating, which is against the forum charter.
    If you had an issue with anything anyone was saying to you, you needed to report the posts, not call people names or cast aspersions on their character, which is also against the charter. For example:
    Can I place it down to ur jut trying to play smart.
    just you been a drama queen and looking to start something to fill in the drama of ur life.
    if this topic goes of track with simple mindedness i will not reply because i do not like drama freaks who sit online looking for ways to discourage others.
    I can also say the the mod fcked up here
    On this latter quote, you didn't seem to have much of an issue with this when things were going your way, this thread has been here for weeks and not a peep out of you having an issue about it being here. If you think the mods should not have moved your post, you should have reported it or PM'd them.

But also i do like the way that at the start is about the dog rather my safty

If you're looking for people to be concerned about your own safety, go to the biker's forum. As this is the Animals and Pets forum (where, I might add, you have got plenty of useful suggestions), it makes perfect sense that users would be more curious as to how you ensure your dog's safety on a motorbike.

I think it only fair to let you know that I have no issue with anything that was said to you on this thread, rather it is you who has drawn attention to yourself with your rude posting.
    For this reason, I don't feel that you deserve the help people have tried to give you here, so I'm closing the thread.
    I would suggest you have a serious overhaul in the way you address other users before you post here again.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement