Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract not renewed because I'm pregnant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

True colours? They're a business ffs, not a charity. Why would they pay someone to take a year off when they could have somebody actually contributing to their profits in that time? I'm all for maternity legislation being enforced but running down the vast majority of a 12 month contract, getting pregnant, and then being nothing short of indignant at the thought of not having your contract extended is entitlement. Plain and simple. There was absolutely no guarantee of a contract extension.

If you'd bothered to read my last post you'd know that they wouldn't be paying me "to take a year off" as they don't pay employees for maternity leave.

I don't have a sense of entitlement about this, nor do I expect charity, however, I do feel it is my right to not be discriminated against because I'm pregnant!

Your attitude stinks frankly, and if you actually were "all for maternity legislation being enforced" then the rest of your post is in total contradiction to this!!

P.S. Apologies if this seems indignant, it's because I am indignant at your attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Personally I think you should talk to the Equality Authority yourself. But I would ask what you hope to gain? They wont give you a permanent contract, they may extend your contract if their hand is forced, but I would imagine relationships there will have been ruined. Any compensation wont be princely as you were a contracted employee, and I imagine will not compensate for the damage to your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

EllieB wrote: »
    If you'd bothered to read my last post you'd know that they wouldn't be paying me "to take a year off" as they don't pay employees for maternity leave.

I don't have a sense of entitlement about this, nor do I expect charity, however, I do feel it is my right to not be discriminated against because I'm pregnant!

Your attitude stinks frankly, and if you actually were "all for maternity legislation being enforced" then the rest of your post is in total contradiction to this!!

P.S. Apologies if this seems indignant, it's because I am indignant at your attitude!

Sure knock down anyone who doesn't agree with your position.

Sure knock down anyone who doesn't agree with your position.

How am I knocking him down exactly?! He tells me that I have a sense of entitlement in expecting to be treated fairly and also wonders why would any employer take on anyone who has the cheek to get pregnant and take the maternity leave that our employment laws entitles them to, and I don't agree with him and think that that attitude stinks. That's my opinion, just as he stated his opinion. We don't agree, but I'm sure he's big enough and bold enough to come back and tell me if he has an issue with that!!

Plenty of commentators don't necessarily agree with me on this thread but I'm not knocking them down either!

MouseTail wrote: »
    Personally I think you should talk to the Equality Authority yourself. But I would ask what you hope to gain? They wont give you a permanent contract, they may extend your contract if their hand is forced, but I would imagine relationships there will have been ruined. Any compensation wont be princely as you were a contracted employee, and I imagine will not compensate for the damage to your career.

Mousetail, I fear you're probably right and there would be little to be gained by going down the legal route. I just wanted to put the feelers out there to see if anyone had past experience of this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, I feel for your position, but thinking of this rationally, what are you losing out on.

option 1, your contract ends, you go on maternity leave, you still get 230 per week mat benefit. when your 6 months are up you apply for a new job. you claim jsb while you look for work. you lose out on 2 weeks holiday pay that you would have accrued.

you have left your job on good terms so no reason why you can't apply then again.

option 2
    you have your contract, you get 230 mat benefit and your 2 weeks holiday pay. you return to work and only have 6 months left of your contract and no solid chance of a job in 6 months time anyway.

there is no doubt in my mind that the company has not renewed your contract as you are expecting, but they have probably done this before. I think the best thing you can do is express your eagerness to be re employed after your mat leave.

Advertisement