Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintanence

Options
  • 06-09-2014 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Sorry if this is in wrong forum but I am new to posting.
    Short story and question. I have a new daughter of 3 months and the mother and I are not together, never have been in a relationship or lived together.
    I contribute 60 euro per week for my daughter and deposit that into her mothers account which covers all of my daughters expenses.
    Question- will the social welfare means test me and order me to pay money to support my daughter's mother living expenses like rent etc.?
    She has been in touch with social welfare and told me I am going to be means tested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superstepmom2b

Mikey1979 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is in wrong forum but I am new to posting.
    Short story and question. I have a new daughter of 3 months and the mother and I are not together, never have been in a relationship or lived together.
    I contribute 60 euro per week for my daughter and deposit that into her mothers account which covers all of my daughters expenses.
    Question- will the social welfare means test me and order me to pay money to support my daughter's mother living expenses like rent etc.?
    She has been in touch with social welfare and told me I am going to be means tested.

Hi

As I understand it you are only required to maintain your child. As you were not married you are not required to maintain her. The social welfare cannot enforce any amount of maintenance on you. Maintenance can only be enforced through the courts. I believe the maximum amount is 150 per child but.on.average 75 seems the norm.

Unfortunately in Ireland there's no.set calculation unlike in the UK. They will means test you, they may suggest an amount you should pay and they may write to you but they can't make you pay. End of the day they would like you to pay more as it means the state pays less.

Make sure you transfer the amount to her account so you have a record of absolutely everything.

Not to be rude but are you sure the child is yours? If you weren't in a relationship it may be an idea to get that done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mikey1979

Hi

As I understand it you are only required to maintain your child. As you were not married you are not required to maintain her. The social welfare cannot enforce any amount of maintenance on you. Maintenance can only be enforced through the courts. I believe the maximum amount is 150 per child but.on.average 75 seems the norm.

Unfortunately in Ireland there's no.set calculation unlike in the UK. They will means test you, they may suggest an amount you should pay and they may write to you but they can't make you pay. End of the day they would like you to pay more as it means the state pays less.

Make sure you transfer the amount to her account so you have a record of absolutely everything.

Not to be rude but are you sure the child is yours? If you weren't in a relationship it may be an idea to get that done.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Thats a relief to hear.
    Not rude at all and yes shes mine. Got the test done straight away. She looks a lot like me too :-) Shes lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

you are only required to maintain your child
    Actually both parents are in theory supposed to maintain their child financially equally. Some people seem to be under the impression that a custodial parent need not, which is incorrect.
    The social welfare cannot enforce any amount of maintenance on you.
    Well, I would not be so certain of that. There's been a good few discussions on this here and elsewhere and seemingly they do appear to have some pretty draconian powers that can force you. I would advise that he seeks professional legal advice on the subject.
    I believe the maximum amount is 150 per child
    At District Court level. At the Circuit Court it's higher and in the High Court there is no maximum. The vast majority of cases never get beyond the District Court however.
    End of the day they would like you to pay more as it means the state pays less.
    Which is why the SW, when they do these shakedowns, will tend to seek an increase to just over 100 Euro p.w. as this is the maximum they can claw back from the recipient.
    +1.

Advertisement