Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed. Starting a cleaning company.

Options
  • 06-09-2014 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Iv been unemployed for too long, dropped out of college, cant find work. You know the story, I wont go on, we all have our own problems. So iv decided its time to make something happen, I cant wait around waiting for work to find me.

I have no business experience. But am willing to devote myself to this and make it work. I would be looking to subcontract the work at first then to employ people once it gets off the ground. I am thankfully tech minded so the website and social media wont be an issue. Which is where most competition seems to be weakest. Im not looking to become a millionaire by this time next week, I just want to make a living for now.

I am open to all and any advice, positive hopefully. What are the things I need to consider that I may be overlooking? Insurance, tax ...ect

Thanks for any help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

go for it, i used to have a cleaning company back in 1997 and i subcontracted with another cleaning company, loads of work which was done - getting paid was a nightmare, lets just say we ended up in court and i won. Times might have changed nowadays.

I got out of it when i couldn't compete with low cost operatives from countries in the newly enlarged EU, I was employing the likes of Mary and Doris to clean offices, the old school cleaners.

you also have to contend with likes of hassle. com nowadays, the Hailo for cleaners!

I would try property management companies and get in with them.. they would have loads of work from offices to apartment blocks..trust and security are very important as you will have access to premises, keys alarm codes etc so you need to build that image.

You could setup an agency and have a team of operatives, managing and delegating the work.. take a different spin on it, call yourself the Organic Cleaning company or something like that!

insurance, equipment, decent cleaning products and elbow grease are all necessities! - try and create an image too, nice uniforms, trained friendly staff that say hello to people working in the buildings etc

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

A friend of mine bought a transit van as he was into surfing but couldnt afford a camper..

Turns out loads of family and friends need a man with a van to do deliveries, move houses,, even use the van for furniture storage when someone was having a party in their house.. Gets loads of work from it,, hires a young polish lad to help him.. has approached a few auctioneers who need items shifted to clients..

You just need a Van,, set prices discussed up front for jobs.. take cash in hand,, and build up a number of regulars.. from there you can set up your cleaning business.. just an idea.. better than the scratcher..

Advertisement