Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair notice to tenants to vacate?

Options
  • 06-09-2014 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I've moved back to Ireland. I'd like to move back into my own home asap. I have three tenants with whom I have no written contract or lease.

What is fair notice to vacate? Thirty days?
    Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    I've moved back to Ireland. I'd like to move back into my own home asap. I have three tenants with whom I have no written contract or lease.

Thanks for any advice

How long have they been there? There are guidelines regarding the amount of notice to give depending on the time the Tennant's have been there. On my phone so can't link. A search should find it for you

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

One guy has been there four years... one three and the other two...I'm in no hurry but I'd like to give them notice so I can get in there and clean it up...but want to give them enough time. Although two of the three have been exceptionally bad tenants ie always late with rent

Maybe I'll just email them all formally and tell them I'll go in and talk to them about it...time they would need etc. Although nothing is in writing I think sitting down and talking is better

How long have they been there? There are guidelines regarding the amount of notice to give depending on the time the Tennant's have been there. On my phone so can't link. A search should find it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

All the details you need are in the link below

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/how-your-landlord-may-end-your-tenancy/

In summary
    Threshold wrote:
    The amount of notice depends on how long you have been in the tenancy. Below are the normal notice periods:

Duration of Tenancy Notice Period
    Less than 6 months 28 days
    6 months to 1 year 35 days
    1-2 years 42 days
    2-3 years 56 days
    3-4 years 84 days
    More than 4 years 112 days

Thanks but what you've quoted is for a lease or written rental contract...I have nothing in writing. I think my best course of action is to email them all formally that I plan to move back into the house within the next two months and ask them how much time they think they need when I visit the house in person. Does that seem fair? Considering there is no lease or written contract? The link you provided does seem to have guidelines on this situations so I'll dig a bit deeper

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks but what you've quoted is for a lease or written rental contract...I have nothing in writing. I think my best course of action is to email them all formally that I plan to move back into the house within the next two months and ask them how much time they think they need when I visit the house in person. Does that seem fair? Considering there is no lease or written contract? The link you provided does seem to have guidelines on this situations so I'll dig a bit deeper

Doesnt matter. They are still entitled to the statutory minium notice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The link provided covers part 4 tenancy. They don't need a lease to be covered by a part 4.

What has been posted is the correct notice that you are obliged to give them, in writing.

We'll see what happens... I'll talk to my solicitor. I'm actually still legally living there myself

Thanks for the help
    The link provided covers part 4 tenancy. They don't need a lease to be covered by a part 4.

What has been posted is the correct notice that you are obliged to give them, in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why do you want to waste money on a solicitor when it's all available for free on the internet? Those are the minimum notice periods you have to give the tenants. However, if you talk to them, you might come to a mutual arrangement.

dudara wrote: »
    Why do you want to waste money on a solicitor when it's all available for free on the internet? Those are the minimum notice periods you have to give the tenants. However, if you talk to them, you might come to a mutual arrangement.

My solicitor will give me that advice for free. I'm hoping we can come to a mutual agreement by talking to them...although one tenant is three weeks later with rent. Since I'm still legally living there maybe I'll just move in and sleep on my couch if there's any issues or stick a bed for myself in the kitchen. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

My solicitor will give me that advice for free. I'm hoping we can come to a mutual agreement by talking to them...although one tenant is three weeks later with rent. Since I'm still legally living there maybe I'll just move in and sleep on my couch if there's any issues or stick a bed for myself in the kitchen. Thanks

If they are just renting rooms and are effectively licensee they are not covered by Part 4 and no notice period applies. Obviously good practice would be to give them notice

• Advertisement

jsd1004 wrote: »
    If they are just renting rooms and are effectively licensee they are not covered by Part 4 and no notice period applies. Obviously good practice would be to give them notice

Yep...that is the case...they are all renting rooms individually. The address is still legally my home address and I 'live' there as far as any law is concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Thanks for any advice

How did you manage to live in another country and in your house at tge same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chatterkiller

But part 4 doesn't apply if he wants to move back in there himself, I thought?

Autonomous wrote: »
    How did you manage to live in another country and in your house at tge same time?

By getting required advice from my solicitor and renting the rooms individually rather than as a full property. It's the only property I own

Yep...that is the case...they are all renting rooms individually. The address is still legally my home address and I 'live' there as far as any law is concerned

Except you don't live there. You're pretending to.

Just do the legal thing instead of becoming a cowboy landlord.

But part 4 doesn't apply if he wants to move back in there himself, I thought?

It does. Part 4 can be terminated upon the landlord moving in, but he is obliged to give the notice set out in the part 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

By getting required advice from my solicitor and renting the rooms individually rather than as a full property. It's the only property I own

Owning it and living in it are different things. Google illegal eviction judgements. Your tenants could get quite a lot of money if you don't follow the law. Also are you tax compliant? You can't qualify for the rent a room scheme if you're not ACTUALLY living there

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

It sounds like the other people in your house have a licence and are lodgers rather than tenants. Has your solicitor spoken to you about the non principal primary residence tax as you may he responsible for this and fines of a few thousands.

Can you prove that you have been resident in the house in Ireland for the required number of days a year for tax purposes?

bisset wrote: »
    It sounds like the other people in your house have a licence and are lodgers rather than tenants. Has your solicitor spoken to you about the non principal primary residence tax as you may he responsible for this and fines of a few thousands.

Can you prove that you have been resident in the house in Ireland for the required number of days a year for tax purposes?

They can only have a licence if the landlord is actually resident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

bisset wrote: »

Presumably if all the bedrooms have been rented out, there's no way he can prove that he resides there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Something to consider is that although you were living there on paper you were not really living there and your tenants know this and can point it out
    If you were t paying income tax here or collecting welfare here then it will be lead that you wernt living here
    Not only will your tenants be entitled to good notice as per part 4 but if it's been four years you would have been liable for the nppr and your tenants would probably use this as leverage

Except you don't live there. You're pretending to.

Just do the legal thing instead of becoming a cowboy landlord.

I am doing the legal thing, thank you very much...keep your ignorant comments to yourself

Tigger wrote: »
    Something to consider is that although you were living there on paper you were not really living there and your tenants know this and can point it out
    If you were t paying income tax here or collecting welfare here then it will be lead that you wernt living here
    Not only will your tenants be entitled to good notice as per part 4 but if it's been four years you would have been liable for the nppr and your tenants would probably use this as leverage

And income tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,566 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I am doing the legal thing, thank you very much...keep your ignorant comments to yourself

Actually you're not.

This is what i love about boards.

Op's will start a thread asking for advice.

Op's get advice from knowledgeable posters.

Op's don't like the advice they have been given as it does not suit their agenda/ideals/opinions.

Op's throw a hissy fit and resort to childish insults/name calling.

Rinse and repeat site wide.

athtrasna wrote: »
    And income tax!

My legal position is that it's my residence. I own the house...they are renting rooms in my property which is my legal residence. i have a solicitor who has given me sound legal advice. I've started the thread to ask what's the fairest way to proceed yet I get insulted by people as a 'cowboy landlord' who have no idea whatsoever what they're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 25,566 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

My legal position is that it's my residence. I own the house...they are renting rooms in my property which is my legal residence. i have a solicitor who has given me sound legal advice. I've started the thread to ask what's the fairest way to proceed yet I get insulted by people as a 'cowboy landlord' who have no idea whatsoever what they're talking about

You may want to get a second opinion then.

Yes, I am doing the legal thing...do you own property? Do you know the details of my situation? Do you know that I returned every six months and lived there? Do you know that I paid and still pay income tax? Yet I'm not entitled to the dole...figure that one out

Actually you're not.

This is what i love about boards.

Op's will start a thread asking for advice.

Op's get advice from knowledgeable posters.

Op's don't like the advice they have been given as it does not suit their agenda/ideals/opinions.

Op's throw a hissy fit and resort to childish insults/name calling.

Rinse and repeat site wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pot, kettle, much.

OP, the law sets out the minimum notice that you have to give - and unless you have been paying tax as though you were living in Ireland, then I would expect that it applies to you.

That said, the law also lets you mutually agree to a shorter notice.

One way to get their agreement is to say that if they move out within a shorter time frame (eg within 60 days, instead of within 112 days), their liability for rent stops the very day they move out. This way, they don't end up paying double rent for a few weeks, which very often happens if people stick to legal notice periods.

Sometimes a friendly solution is more of a winner than the legal one.

My legal position is that it's my residence. I o wn the house...they are renting rooms in my property which is my legal residence. i have a solicitor who has given me sound legal advice. I've started the thread to ask what's the fairest way to proceed yet I get insulted by people as a 'cowboy landlord' who have no idea whatsoever what they're talking about

I didn't call you a cowboy landlord. I said you may become one.

You do not live in the residence. It is not your primary residence.

Did you instruct your tenants to withold 20% of the rent for the period you were away, to cover taxes?

Did you register the tanancies with the prtb?

Or did you pretend it was a rent a room scheme so that you could avoid tax?

How can you claim you live there if all rooms have been occupied by tenants? GGetting mail to the house isn't proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Yeah because a reputable landlord would consider putting a mattress in the kitchen and sleeping there, presumably as a way to try make your tenants lives a misery and encourage them to move out early (not withstanding the fact that you 'already live there')! If the revenue come after you,' my solicitor said' isn't going to make them go away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement