Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Protein/ Good Quality Dog Food

• 06-09-2014 7:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all

I've been advised by my vet to switch over to a lower protein food for my dog-she is currently eating Acana Adult Dog food. I chose this originally because it has such quality ingredients so I'm hoping there will be as good a quality food but with a lower protein content (currently 27%).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Burns would be around 18% or Skinners/James WellBeloved would have a few choices around 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Did your vet give you a reason for switching her onto a lower protein food?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only thinking out loud but what about sticking with current kibble but lets say cut it in half and add in boiled /raw veggies to lower the protein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

boomerang wrote: »
    Did your vet give you a reason for switching her onto a lower protein food?

He didn't really?!! Well, he asked if she was on a high protein food and I said she was and he asked if I found her very energetic and I do so he suggested a lower protein food. We had been discussing her nervousness and reactivity and then he asked about her food-putting 2 and 2 together, is it possible a high protein food could make a nervous, reactive dog more nervous and reactive??

Thanks for the suggestions so far-she was on burns when I first rescued her so I may go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

yaya* wrote: »
    He didn't really?!! Well, he asked if she was on a high protein food and I said she was and he asked if I found her very energetic and I do so he suggested a lower protein food. We had been discussing her nervousness and reactivity and then he asked about her food-putting 2 and 2 together, is it possible a high protein food could make a nervous, reactive dog more nervous and reactive??

Thanks for the suggestions so far-she was on burns when I first rescued her so I may go back.

There's been some recent discussion about this, it'll take me a while to find it, probably be tomorrow, but the conclusion was that it doesn't. Its actually the fat (or oils) in the food that gives a dog its energy. Of course, the lower the fat, then it usually does follow that the protein level will also be lower. What is the fat level in the Acana? Also though, if a food is high in meat, then it will be higher in fat and protein than one with lots of filler and additives, but it would probably be the filler and additives that could have an impact on the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

muddypaws wrote: »
    There's been some recent discussion about this, it'll take me a while to find it, probably be tomorrow, but the conclusion was that it doesn't. Its actually the fat (or oils) in the food that gives a dog its energy. Of course, the lower the fat, then it usually does follow that the protein level will also be lower. What is the fat level in the Acana? Also though, if a food is high in meat, then it will be higher in fat and protein than one with lots of filler and additives, but it would probably be the filler and additives that could have an impact on the dog.

Thanks for that info. Very interesting. The fat content is 14% but I would often give her a tin of fish with her dinner (maybe 3 times a week!) which of course would up her fat/ oils intake dramatically.

I'd be very interested in reading whatever studies you might have on that topic-thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Carbs also contribute towards excessive energy levels, as far as I know? Whilst dogs are more efficient at digesting and utilising carbs than their wolf ancestors, they're still not that good at it. So, high-carb diets (with rice, cereals, pastas etc) are probably playing a fair role in causing excessive energy, and dry dog foods tend to be pretty high in carbs. A high-carb diet is not all that natural for dogs... yet for some reason we tend to overlook this when we stuff our dogs with carbs every day, then wonder why they're behaving oddly! And then we blame protein, for some reason.
    That's leaving aside the allergic response that a lot of dogs have to many cereals. And it is this element of diet that tends to be at the center of behavioural problems (such as irritability, aggression): food intolerance or allergy, more often than not in dogs the reactivity is to cereals, as opposed to the more "natural" (and high protein!) doggy ingredients such as meat, fish, vegetables, fruits (the latter two in moderation).

I find it unlikely that high protein would cause a carnivore any problems with excessive behaviours, assuming said carnivore is otherwise medically healthy. To me at least, it's a bit like saying that feeding a cow a high-grass diet will make her hyperactive!

I would be exceptionally careful about reducing the fats/oils in a dog's diet unless you're already feeding huge amounts (doesn't sound like you are), because they are vital for vitamin absorption and other crucial biochemical processes in the body. You also need to be looking at "good fats" vs "bad fats".. many of the oils provide "good fats", and are vital to good health.

Advertisement