Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin counting machines

Options
  • 06-09-2014 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

So do any banks have coin counting machines? HSBC in the UK have them in their branches but my own bank doesn't. It kills me to pay the 10% commission to count coins in my local Tesco.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do you literally mean coin counting machines - because all banks have them. Or do you mean a machine you can use to count your coins prior to lodgement. If the latter, then none that I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

AngryLips wrote: »
    So do any banks have coin counting machines? HSBC in the UK have them in their branches but my own bank doesn't. It kills me to pay the 10% commission to count coins in my local Tesco.

If you buy something in tesco you don't pay the 10% commission. And they give you change from it without the commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you buy something in tesco you don't pay the 10% commission. And they give you change from it without the commission.

I use Tesco and the commission is deducted from the inserted coins and the vouchers printed accordingly and not decided at the checkout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know the machines you are talking about. Most banks in Germany have them too. But I imagine they are extremely expensive to buy and hard to justify the cost considering most people have free banking.

I just use my change constantly. I can't understand people who give out about change but never actually use it from their previous purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

How much needs to be counted and sorted? Could you not count it yourself? Why not get your kids/niece/nephew to count and give them 10%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

We count it ourselves. Go to the bank and get money bags to bag it all up.

A lot of banks will only accept bags of coins on certain days so you'd want to check with them first. You don't want to lug a load of coin to the bank only for them to send you away.

Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

If you have lots weigh them. Count one bag of each type (I always mean to record the weights but I never do) and then weigh the rest. The longest part will be sorting the coins. My coin jar usually adds up to about 500-600 euro no way am I paying 10% commission on that.

And knowing Irish banks of they did have these machine for customers they would charge out for the use of them.

Also if you bank with boi they only take in coins two mornings a week.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

10% commission from a machine forget that. I count it myself while watching TV. Say 10c. Count out €1 and stack it then line 9 more stacks of 10c beside it make sure they are the same height as the one you counted and bag it. Takes the effort out of counting and losing count and missing half your programme.

I bring my change to my local credit union and lodge. No limits there of when you can lodge change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Ok, I'm really happy for all you guys that you have time to count your coins yourself, all I'm asking is why our banks don't provide a service that banks in UK (and in Germany, as another poster pointed out) offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As pointed out, the machines are expensive in the first place, and require a reasonable amount of maintenance (as anyone who has gone to change their coins and found a "out of service" note on it, causing them to lug their coinage home again more than once will tell you :P)

As for "banks" - well, HSBC is one of the few that does have some in service. I can't recall any of the other big high street banks rolling them out..which should say a lot on the topic..

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm really happy for all you guys that you have time to count your coins yourself, all I'm asking is why our banks don't provide a service that banks in UK (and in Germany, as another poster pointed out) offer.

Well I guess we're too busy counting our coins rather than asking the people who can give the answers, the banks. We don't make their decisions for them, if you want to find out why they don't offer this service you'll have to ask them, not a bunch of randomers on the internet.

However talking a wild guess it would be due to the cost of the machines like Buffy pointed out, our banks hardly like paying for the minimum service let alone something like this.

if you want to find out why they don't offer this service you'll have to ask them, not a bunch of randomers on the internet.

Hey stupid, I didn't ask why they don't have them. I asked if anyone knew of any banks that do. But thanks

Hey stupid, I didn't ask why they don't have them. I asked if anyone knew of any banks that do. But thanks

Oh sorry I interpreted the question you asked as a question, my mistake.

Oh sorry I interpreted the question you asked as a question, my mistake.

But that isn't how I phrased it because I mainly wanted to know if anyone knew of any banks that had them. Ok, I get it that you don't know of any, that's awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

You really are angry, AngryLips. I'd hate to see what happens to you when something actually important happens :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

...and with that, we'll end scene

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement