Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apps using way too much mb

• 06-09-2014 8:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

I just had a look at my usage on my 16GB 4s this morning to discover that Facebook was using 3.2GB of memory on my phone. Can anyone verify whether this would be right or not? My storage is running low for a while now and I've deleted apps and games I done use but to me that seems like way too much.

Sorry mods if this is the wrong forum!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Delete the app and re install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

guil wrote: »
    Delete the app and re install it.

Yes and do that with twitter too. Both are caching images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I delete Twitter and FB regularly just to clear up storage space. It's one thing i'm surprised Apple hasn't added support for. I've an iPad app for Instagram which gives you the option of clearing the cache in the settings which is nice.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I delete Twitter and FB regularly just to clear up storage space. It's one thing i'm surprised Apple hasn't added support for. I've an iPad app for Instagram which gives you the option of clearing the cache in the settings which is nice.

It should be up to the app devs. Apple can't really know how important the caches are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is a long-running problem with Facebook. It was an issue with it the last time I used it as well, which was about 2 years ago. Afaik the problem is that the app stores all its temporary data in the library cache instead of the tmp directory. The cache is generally the responsibility of the app and isn’t cleared by the system until space is running low. Facebook should be automatically deleting it but it isn't because its badly programmed crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Thanks for the replies! I have deleted and reinstalled it and now it's only using 248MB! I'll keep an eye on the usage and delete it again if needs be. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I just removed them and it cleared up 1GB of space.
    I still have an issue with the photo storage. I have no photos or videos on my phone but still showing over 500mb on camera roll usage :(

I just removed them and it cleared up 1GB of space.
    I still have an issue with the photo storage. I have no photos or videos on my phone but still showing over 500mb on camera roll usage :(

Sometimes a reboot clears that. It might be storing some files in the temporary directory which would be deleted on startup.

Instagram is 50Mb on my device and never really gets bigger. It caches nothing. The kindle app deletes old Ebooks once read. FB and twitter seem to cache every photo they ever download whether you request them or not, and probably most WebKit pages.

Advertisement