Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannonball run 2014 sligo

Options
  • 06-09-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Anyone any info on this. Details seem to be scant. Where about in the city centre is it starting and is there any opportunity to send the cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

dingding wrote: »
    Anyone any info on this. Details seem to be scant. Where about in the city centre is it starting and is there any opportunity to send the cars.

Try asking them here: http://www.facebook.com/cannonball.ie?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

Oooo ... I've never seen an effing 'CAR' before.

Really, are people still this easily entertained ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Oooo ... I've never seen an effing 'CAR' before.

Really, are people still this easily entertained ??

Aren't they raising money for charity? Give them a bit of support and a wave eh? And maybe chuck a few coins in the bucket.

Until recently I had no interest in cars whatsoever, still don't really, but I appreciate it when I get to drive a good car, and I love seeing old restored cars on the road, whatever they are. There's something brilliant about that.

Cars ain't your thing, others live for them. Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

Kettleson wrote: »
    ... Cars ain't your thing, others live for them. Nothing wrong with that at all.

A car should be seen as something that gets you from a to b using as little fuel as possible. What angers me most is the false dreams and ideals being sold to the impressionable young minds of Sligo's next generation.

Shame, on whoever brought this 'Display of Stupidity' to Sligo Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'd question the good sense behind parking so many expensive cars in close proximity to one another and allowing members of the public to grope them. I suspect a few of the owners maybe wondering the same when they inspect their prize posessions tomorrow.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

A car should be seen as something that gets you from a to b using as little fuel as possible. What angers me most is the false dreams and ideals being sold to the impressionable young minds of Sligo's next generation.

I'm sorry, but what a load of absolute horsesh1te.

Just because you don't agree with this or have no interest in what these cars represent does not give you the right to attack it like you have.

This is a charity fundraiser, plus it gives the "impressionable young minds of Sligo's next generation" a chance to see machines that are not all that common, especially in Ireland. What are you implying anyways? That'll encourage kids to get sh1tboxes and drive them as fast as they can because they happened to see a Lambo one Friday evening in Sligo?

To some people, cars are something that are special, a feat of engineering, a work of art, and to see them, possibly drive particular ones is a chance many would not pass up.

If you didn't agree with people riding horses would you be so scathing? What about golf? I see no point in walking around a large track on manicured lawn hitting a small ball with a stick, but I hardly think it'll teach youngsters to wield a club in anger.

If any of my kids looks at one of those cars, falls in love it with it, works their ass off to own one and arrive home with it, I'd hardly see it as a sign of a false dream, in fact, if that's what they want, and they're willing to work for it, more power to them.

It's worth noting that even though I live 10 mins walk from town I didn't go in for a look this evening, but I hope they raise as much as they can.

By the way, this years charity is Make A Wish Foundation, helping "impressionable young minds" get their wishes now, because they might not have a chance to realise their dreams later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Heaven forbid someone might have a bit of fun and enjoy themselves. It was a great spectacle. The parade of cars through the town, and most of the drivers were in fancy dress. My kids loved it, as did I. God knows there's little enough to do around town that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'd love to know what false ideals and dreams have been sold to them.

We really are a nation of begrudgers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Cars V Golfers. You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Unfortunately I missed the event yesterday, but I did stop to chat to a Ferrari owner the other day, and had a good gawk as he was shinning her up. I think he appreciated me stopping and drooling through my car window, rather than over his pride and joy.

Some of them really are a thing of beauty, and fair fcuks to any one who can afford to keep and maintain them, especially some of the more vintage models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The lambos were a sight. The vintage mustang parked outside the library topped them all though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

I am of the belief that any well organised event or activity that brings a crowd to the town should be welcomed. Sligo does not have a big enough population to sneer at the prospect of events like the cannonball or the fleadh coming to town. Let them come, the more the merrier and to those of you who begrudge it, stay at home.

I think the crowds who turned out in town yesterday evening and again in Ballisodare this morning speaks volumes for the views of the majority....

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I think its a bit annoying that they didnt run them for the whole day yesterday like 10-11am in Sligo Town seemed rushed to me and I didnt get a chance to go into sligo on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Vlove wrote: »
    I think its a bit annoying that they didnt run them for the whole day yesterday like 10-11am in Sligo Town seemed rushed to me and I didnt get a chance to go into sligo on Friday!

They have secudule to stick to if they spent full days everywhere would take them a lot longer to go around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

shanec1928 wrote: »
    They have secudule to stick to if they spent full days everywhere would take them a lot longer to go around the country.

True enough but still, its nice look at the cars and attract more ppl in sligo as this kind of thing rarely happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A car should be seen as something that gets you from a to b using as little fuel as possible.

What do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Lovely to see the negative Jealous Sligo attitude on full display there!.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

mickdw wrote: »
    What do you drive?

A Bike Presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I thought it was excellent. I certainly can't afford to buy some of these cars so no harm drooling over them up close (figure of speech - no spittle on cars, I swear). It really was a carnival atmosphere and the fact most of the drivers were in fancy dress made it all the better for all ages. Despite the Lambourginis and the Ferraris, it was the likes of the DeLorean and the Shelby GT500 (Police car) that I was in awe at.

Back to the dark ages with the begrudgers, they wouldn't know a bit of fun if it sat on their face and swivelled.

Advertisement