Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC restarts while playing DayZ??

Options
  • 06-09-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just last week I got a custom PC from Hardwareversand.,

Absolutely delighted with it, its great!

ONE PROBLEM though..

Every time I load up and play DayZ, about 5minutes into playing, my PC shuts down and reboots!!

Its fine with everything else but just this game.

Help would be really appreciated!

PC Specs:
    • RAM: 8 GB-Kit Kingston 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM SR x8.
      Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS, Sockel 1150, mATX
      PowerSupply: Corsair VS Serie VS550, Non-Modular, 80+
      SSD: Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB (2,5", 7mm)
      CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
      HDD: WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
      GPU MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client , 3GB DDR5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Direct X version?
    Did the game Install this for you?.
    Install the latest Direct X version from Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭pepper180

gugleguy wrote: »
    Direct X version?
    Did the game Install this for you?.
    Install the latest Direct X version from Microsoft.

Ok I have Direct X 11? Is this the latest? *Noob move*

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

Update video drivers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Check CPU temperatures using coretemp. Cooler may not be fitted correctly.

Check CPU temperatures using coretemp. Cooler may not be fitted correctly.
    Colonial wrote: »
    Update video drivers too

Checked all the temps, working perfectly.. Thankfully :P

Updating drivers now.. Hopefully this works!

• Advertisement

Most games apps wont use 8gb RAM but day z has a possibility to memory leak... if the driver update doesnt work id update audio drivers and then use 1 RAM stick at a time and try to run day z.... might be a bad stick... other than that it can be a powersupply issue but if other intense games work then not so much...

Reinstall day z also ^^

Most games apps wont use 8gb RAM but day z has a possibility to memory leak... if the driver update doesnt work id update audio drivers and then use 1 RAM stick at a time and try to run day z.... might be a bad stick... other than that it can be a powersupply issue but if other intense games work then not so much...

Reinstall day z also ^^

Can the Audio drivers be found on the same AMD site? I just entered in my type GPU on the website and they gave me a 250MB download and install.

I've re-installed DayZ twice already and I can't come up with anything! DayZ just seems like a big issue which is strange..

I turned down in game graphics, I've tried putting it in windowed mode, I've done the lot. :(

HOPEFULLY the drivers work!

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted. Also if any of you think of anything else, let me know! :)

Ok none of that worked guys.. :(

Any idea on the next step?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Download Heaven Benchmark free, it's benchmarking software. Run it for a while and see if the PC is stable. I would also download and run 3DMark and bench with it too. You can get that free on Steam. If the PC is stable running these benchmarks it would suggest a specific problem with DayZ, and not your hardware. CoreTemp is free and will monitor your CPU temps, so grab that too.

Ok so Killing Floor AND DayZ are restarting my PC.. :(

I fear for my PC...and bank account..

• Advertisement

pepper180 wrote: »
    Ok so Killing Floor AND DayZ are restarting my PC.. :(

I fear for my PC...and bank account..

Did you try 1 RAM stick at a time?

Is anything overclocked also? - I would check the bios.

Did you try 1 RAM stick at a time?

Is anything overclocked also? - I would check the bios.

Nothing is over clocked. (Even though i was willing to overclock).

Didnt try the one stick of ram yet! Will try that tonight thanks! :)

pepper180 wrote: »
    Nothing is over clocked. (Even though i was willing to overclock).

Didnt try the one stick of ram yet! Will try that tonight thanks! :)
    remember to try the other stick of ram taken out as well.
    Also try both ram sockets on the motherboard itself.is there an empty socket on the motherboard available?

remember to try the other stick of ram taken out as well.
    Also try both ram sockets on the motherboard itself.is there an empty socket on the motherboard available?

Tried both and it still crashed! No empty sockets.

mmmkay.
    Place your hand on the case and assess the temprature of the machine, with the game playing - pause the game while playing it full throttle.
    It should be warm, like when a kettle starts to gurgle when boiling. But not overly hot. Maybe an extra fan is what's needed.

mmmkay.
    Place your hand on the case and assess the temprature of the machine, with the game playing - pause the game while playing it full throttle.
    It should be warm, like when a kettle starts to gurgle when boiling. But not overly hot. Maybe an extra fan is what's needed.

PSU and GPU seem a little hot..but nothing major! I checked the heat while playing and it was only about 50degrees cels!

Try.. ...Change OS to Windows 7. Beg borrow steal a copy. Format your hard disc prior to this.

Try.. ...Change OS to Windows 7. Beg borrow steal a copy. Format your hard disc prior to this.

Yeh im running Windows 7 Home Pre 64bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The most obvious thing seems to try a new power supply. Someone here or in the building and upgrade forum could probably sort you out with another one just to test.

A total shut down would indicate a bad supply rather than a bad card usually (or an overheating CPU but you've said that temps are OK).

Run off the integrated GPU for the moment, it should work as the power draw would be significantly lowered. It'll run poorly but it shouldn't crash that way until you sort it out.

What CPU temps are you getting under load?

The most obvious thing seems to try a new power supply. Someone here or in the building and upgrade forum could probably sort you out with another one just to test.

A total shut down would indicate a bad supply rather than a bad card usually (or an overheating CPU but you've said that temps are OK).

Run off the integrated GPU for the moment, it should work as the power draw would be significantly lowered. It'll run poorly but it shouldn't crash that way until you sort it out.

What CPU temps are you getting under load?

I've came to a new conclusion.. It could be the GPU?? I have an extra external cooling fan (Like a normal house fan) beside the tower with the case open blowing on the PC cold air.. The PSU is nice and cool still.. but the GPU is still really really hot!! It could be the GPU that could be messed up!

Just after a two hour session on DayZ and the PC didn't crash once while this fan is on full blast!

• Advertisement
Advertisement