Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf For 2 Days.

• 06-09-2014 11:51am

I had a 2014 bog basic Xe with fast charge port on test for 2 days.

Absolutely loved it, it's amazing to drive, having all the power almost instantly is such an amazing experience it's really good fun to drive !

It's got pretty good acceleration feels faster than my brothers quattro dsg 170 HP TDI A4 off the line even using launch control. The A4 I think has a flat spot, maybe to protect the dsg ? maybe a revo is what's needed there !

It feels faster than the 11 seconds official 0-100 Kph that's for sure. Illusion ? perhaps but it didn't disappoint power does drop off beyond 100 Kph but it's sufficient to reach 164 Kph.

It goes all the way to 164 Kph on the clock !

It handles like it's on rails, going around roundabouts way faster than I would in most cars, just doesn't roll at all, most likely due to the weight and low centre of gravity. I would imagine back roads a lot of fun.

Now the important part, Range !

If you drive at 120 Kph you should still achieve 110-120 Kms no heat. And perhaps so in winter with the heat pump.

This XE model has not got the much more efficient heat pump for the heater.

Once I got used to it I learned to relax and going from Carlow qc to Dublin Newlands Cross Topaz QC via newbridge was no problem and by the way this was on a 85% charge !

I went from Carlow qc to work in Newbridge to Newlands Cross fast charger, charged up to 90% and on to Balgriffin, Malahide back to Balgriffin and charged up again at the new QC at Tesco in Naas. Not going much over 100 Kph but I didn't have the confidence yet, I had about 20% charge left. And had some fun in the process.

When I got to Naas there was a car charging so I had to wait 10 mins before I could start charging.

I had about 20 % left when I got back to Naas, and charged up to 85% because I only have the granny cable to charge at home so wanted to make sure I had enough charge for the morning after using the granny cable which charges at about 8 amps 1.8Kw V 3.5 Kw 16 amps or 30 amps for the 6.6 Kw (optional) charger which is highly advisable option to get.

In reality I probably would only have needed 30% to get me back home from Naas. Because after an 85% charge I arrived home 46 Kms later with 51% remaining.

The idea of the fast charger is to give you enough charge to get home or your next destination. Not hogging the charger for free electricity, some consideration for others means the person that needs to go further can do so in less time.

I was really glad to have the car for two days to get the feel for it and range anxiety, while real with the qc network means you will make it home today with all the fast chargers in place.

I have to think about when and if my next contract is in Dublin if I can tolerate a 10-15 min QC per day on the way home. And if someone is charging before me.

One word of caution about fast charging, heat is the ultimate enemy with lithium batteries, and I recommend the leafspy app and bluetooth dongle to keep an eye on the battery temp. I would not recommend charging above 35 degrees C.IF you want to maximise battery life, if you intend to get rid of it after 3 years it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Going above 80% on the QC is not recommended because it will warm it up faster and heat along with a high state of charge, i.e , above 80% will accelerate battery degradation. I'm sure 2 fast charges won't be an issue and in cold weather, fast charging would also warm up a very cold battery.

The BMW I3 battery is a/c cooled and heat won;t be an issue, VW say the E-Golf doesn't need it and this may be true, but needs testing in the real world. The Kia soul EV has forced air cooling which the leaf doesn't even have. The I3 has a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery V 60,000 on the Leaf.

Leaf II should be announced in 2016 and available 2017, the Affordable tesla should be available then too with around 200 miles range, my guess is the Leaf II will have at least 120 miles real range.

I really really loved driving the Leaf, t's a very good capable car. We would be keeping the prius as the 2nd car to do the very few times a year mega long trips. If we didn't we have family close to borrow a car if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

So when are you getting your SVE? Are you sure you don't want a Zoe on a PCP for 3 years until Leaf 2 comes out?

And people won't belief the "heat will kill your battery"-argument if they are blinded by their love for the Leaf. But they might find it out to their detriment.

I will hopefully be ordering a Zoe tomorrow *crossing fingers*

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    So when are you getting your SVE? Are you sure you don't want a Zoe on a PCP for 3 years until Leaf 2 comes out?

And people won't belief the "heat will kill your battery"-argument if they are blinded by their love for the Leaf. But they might find it out to their detriment.

I will hopefully be ordering a Zoe tomorrow *crossing fingers*

Hey !

Best of luck ! full report here on Boards !

I don't know when I'll get the Leaf, It could be 2015 at this stage, I'm in no rush. Could even decide not to at all and wait until the Affordable Tesla or Leaf II comes out. :D

People should research the effects of heat and heat + high state of charge, and check out the my nissan leaf wiki. They don't have to take my word on it.

I'm not anti leaf or trying to say the leaf is a bad ev it's far from bad, it's not perfect. All people have to do is use the fast charger as little as possible and only when they need it and only for enough charge to get home. I'm actually trying to help people make their battery last as long as possible if they intend to keep it as long as possible because they can't replace the battery.

How fast charging will effect the Zoe is anyone's guess, there is no leaf spy equivalent to keep an eye on things either. It could be the LG battery is rated to take the current and won't heat up much at all, no one knows yet.

Nissan have a so called hot battery that will seemingly not be effected as much by heat, maybe but it won't be sold here and it remains untested.

If the Leaf battery was designed to take the current of the fast charger in the first place it wouldn't heat up nearly as much.

Full report on Boards, Irish EV Owners facebook and my Youtube video log :)

I'll be looking forward to it.

When do you expect to get it ?

I suspect in January but I hope sooner. Don't care much about the license plate thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

I suspect in January but I hope sooner. Don't care much about the license plate thing.

Well done, you should be able to avail yourself of the off of 49 sterling battery rental per month offered to new owners and a black dash, removing the reflection problem.There is talk of a replacement dash top for the original pioneers,I asked the dealership,no reply.Maybe the mistake was using the word "Free" perhaps?I am told they make 4% on an ev sale and give me the impression we are just a nuisance.with our silly talk of strange things like Amps and Volts. I was asked where I got the Electric sticker for the front of the car, handy for Ice people to see,and the dealer told me Renault would not permit such a sticker on a showroom EV.It could prevent the sale of a more expensive Ice.
    I believe the EV uptake will drop off in the winter,and practically speaking even the cheap Zoe is still too expensive,never mind the other make of the Renault /Nissan alliance.There is renewed Ammonia as a petrol replacement again, and oil is cheap again.
    Live long and prosper.

Thanks.

Since I'm in southern Ireland the £49 battery lease is not available. But I am hopeful I'll get the black dashboard.

Zoe will not safe me money unless I trade it in after year 3. I will be saving about 1200/year between finance, fuel and maintenance but I will be taking a 5 year finance deal out. I don't really mind this as I'm looking forward to a smaller, better spec car that is a lot of fun to drive as well as cheap to run with cleaner means. I plan on getting solar panels in the next 5 years to further offset the green elements of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Thanks.

Since I'm in southern Ireland the £49 battery lease is not available. But I am hopeful I'll get the black dashboard.

Zoe will not safe me money unless I trade it in after year 3. I will be saving about 1200/year between finance, fuel and maintenance but I will be taking a 5 year finance deal out. I don't really mind this as I'm looking forward to a smaller, better spec car that is a lot of fun to drive as well as cheap to run with cleaner means. I plan on getting solar panels in the next 5 years to further offset the green elements of the car.

Good and bad news then,I could talk to you sometime re Solar which I have had for decades.Recent scare stories about folk having to pay 7K to the Solar companies when moving house.Also as pointed out many times the maths don't really stake up in favour of solar/economy 7 etc.Its a fun hobby,but money saver,I doubt it.

Advertisement