Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No black presenters on RTE

• 06-09-2014 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

isn't it strange that RTE have no black presenters ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No, (someone will probably think of someone now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It's stranger that there are no Klingon presenters! What's RTE up to? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Give it a few years, Ireland is still a young country in terms of people emigrating here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

No heterosexual presenters either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Ah come on.......

Marty Morrissey is having a crack at it.

• Advertisement

RichT wrote: »
    Ah come on.......

Marty Morrissey is having a crack at it.

Which category is he, black, Klingon or heterosexual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Which category is he, black, Klingon or heterosexual?
    All the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

People of African origin make up an extremely small proportion of the Irish population. Where as there is huge amounts of Eastern Europeans in Ireland, but yet there no involved in the media at all. There is even a large amount of Asians in Ireland(significantly more than Africans) and they arent presenters.

You know society has moved on so their is no need for "tokens" on a TV panels. Eg the token female or person of a minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

isnt there a guy who sometimes presents the lotto, he is black

Liz bonin was also non white

• Advertisement

All the above.

That fake tan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

hfallada wrote: »
    People of African origin make up an extremely small proportion of the Irish population. Where as there is huge amounts of Eastern Europeans in Ireland, but yet there no involved in the media at all. There is even a large amount of Asians in Ireland(significantly more than Africans) and they arent presenters.

You know society has moved on so their is no need for "tokens" on a TV panels. Eg the token female or person of a minority

So, if you follow your theory, why are there so many homosexuals or transvestites in RTE and on our screens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I would be more worried about the lack of Polish in the media - they're a bigger section of the population.

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I would be more worried about the lack of Polish in the media - they're a bigger section of the population.

stunning blond polish blondes need only apply :cool:

they dont integrate with Irish Society and most Polish nationals only watch polish TV. RTE have actually looked into this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sure it's only 20 odd years ago when it was a bit of a rarity to spot a black person in Ireland, so it will take a while to catch up. Anyone who was older than a kid in the 90s when they came over would likely have too thick an accent for TV, and anyone who was young enough to lose their accent wouldn't be old enough to be a TV presenter on most programming yet. It's not a big deal at all at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

they dont integrate with Irish Society and most Polish nationals only watch polish TV. RTE have actually looked into this before

Plenty of Poles integrate - we continue to celebrate our own customs, much like the Irish do when they move to NZ, Canada or Australia, but we do integrate. Just because we're not all playing hurling doesn't prevent integration.

If a sector of the population doesn't feel represented in the media you can't blame them for not watching the channel. Much like if you are vegetarian you don't bother going to the butchers because you know they're not catering for you... The only items I've seen on RTE about Poles have been negative - football fans in fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I seem to remember a black girl briefly presenting some kids show a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Kevin Sharkey. Donkeys years ago presented an RTE show called Megamix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Sharkey

In Father Ted too.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    I seem to remember a black girl briefly presenting some kids show a few years ago
    Can't say I watch kids shows, but there could have been. But there were far less black people in Ireland who "sounded Irish" than there are now. Give it a few years and we will likely be just like most of the English stations, BBC, Sky, etc with a good mix of races presenting.

And if they happen to look like Kate Abdo... Well fan-bloody-tastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Ack. RTE is a closed shop for certain in-groups. With some exceptions.

There are very few normals working for RTE. I know nobody working there.

Plenty of Poles integrate - we continue to celebrate our own customs, much like the Irish do when they move to NZ, Canada or Australia, but we do integrate. Just because we're not all playing hurling doesn't prevent integration.

If a sector of the population doesn't feel represented in the media you can't blame them for not watching the channel. Much like if you are vegetarian you don't bother going to the butchers because you know they're not catering for you... The only items I've seen on RTE about Poles have been negative - football fans in fights.

I dont mean none do, just a majority still dont as of yet. This is based on surveys RTE used about 3 years ago regarding Eastern European viewing figures in Ireland. Alot of this is based on the fact that alot of them work together and they still have the poorest english speaking skills of immigrants due to the fact that they have the least amount of pressure to learn English. BUt i also stress that this is RTE which caters for culchies rather than IRish as a whole. RTE viewing figures in Dublin are terrible for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

The media and RTE in particular its all about who you know. Given most immigrants work low skilled jobs, tend to stick together and face some language barriers their daddies probably don't know anyone in RTE to give them a leg up.

A lot of Irish people don't even feel represented by RTE. Its mostly tripe for the older generation.

If someone of polish or East European descent hasn't an accent nobody really sees it.

diana bunici is from Moldova. But she sounds Irish.

There is no need for specific polish TV in that language as in the Internet age polish people can access polish TV at home.

The media and RTE in particular its all about who you know. Given most immigrants work low skilled jobs, tend to stick together and face some language barriers their daddies probably don't know anyone in RTE to give them a leg up.

That's true as well, though the nature of media is changing a lot in recent years as well. The likes of RTE don't exactly seem happy about embracing change but it's their own decision if they want to go left further in the past as time goes by.

That's not true about immigrants and low skill. Lots of IT workers for instance.

However RTE is a closed shop. Hard to see how any immigrant breaks down barriers when most Irish people can't get in.

Not only do I not know anybody who works in RTE, I don't know anybody who knows anybody who works there. Or anybody who.... You get the idea. You can see this in LinkedIN.

That's not true about immigrants and low skill. Lots of IT workers for instance.

However RTE is a closed shop. Hard to see how any immigrant breaks down barriers when most Irish people can't get in.

Not only do I not know anybody who works in RTE, I don't know anybody who knows anybody who works there. Or anybody who.... You get the idea. You can see this in LinkedIN.

Yeah maybe that was a stupid thing to say. I just meant as you say RTE is a closed shop. Not just anyone can get in and if you don't know someone moving in the right circles you're unlikely to get a job there. And immigrants (at least first generation immigrants) wouldn't be moving in or know people in those circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 micbravo

No its not strange at all..Its more strange that the person who started this thread has a problem with it..Il have a wild guess and say that person is black? and looking to start a racism argument out of nothing..Is it strange theres no Asian, no Eastern European, no Special needs,no its not but its annoying that people go out of their way looking to start arguments like this then play the victim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Blackie Connors.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

a lot of the adult immigrant population speak with quite heavy accents which may not come across that well on TV/radio. However its still a surprise that there hasn't been one or two.

I expect to see the children of immigrants to feature on RTE very soon. A lot will be of college-age and have grown up here and speak not too differently at all to their er, "Irish" friends.

micbravo wrote: »
    No its not strange at all..Its more strange that the person who started this thread has a problem with it..Il have a wild guess and say that person is black? and looking to start a racism argument out of nothing..Is it strange theres no Asian, no Eastern European, no Special needs,no its not but its annoying that people go out of their way looking to start arguments like this then play the victim.

Come off it it was just a question. Sounds to me like you're the one looking to start an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

jeez, your "wild guess" is fairly wild alright. Just 'cause someone notices something which to them may appear to be at odds with their own reality (eg a lack of anything except white, Irish middle classes on TV) it does not mean that there are lefy, non white and possible even non Irish agitators...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 micbravo

one reason for this site is to share opinion,,i simply gave my opinion on this question without been offensive to anybody..To me there is nothing strange about this considering we are a natural white nation and like somebody stated earlier up til the 90's you would barely see a black person in the country..Yes irishgrover i did state that it was a WILD guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Yes very, and no asian ones either.
    There are also not enough disabled presenters.
    They could also do with more homosexual presenters and travellers are also under-represented.
    White Dublin types are over represented.

EunanMac wrote: »
    They could also do with more homosexual presenters.

Probably doing ok on the latter.

EunanMac wrote: »
    They could also do with more homosexual presenters and travellers are also under-represent.
    White Dublin types are over represented.

The term white is meaningless. Eastern Europeans are white and under represented as you woul expect for recent immigrants. And the north side - outside of sport - is not represented. Culchies do ok.

one reason for this site is to share opinion,,i simply gave my opinion on this question without been offensive to anybody..To me there is nothing strange about this considering we are a natural white nation and like somebody stated earlier up til the 90's you would barely see a black person in the country..Yes irishgrover i did state that it was a WILD guess.
    That was me about the 90s. I grew up in Dublin and even then I have a fairly vivid memory of seeing a black guy walk by us when we were playing football as kids around 1992 and almost being jarred because it was just something you didn't see much. That being "African black" since we've had a few Indians and West Indians knocking about for a little longer.

The RTE "closed circle" thing is kind of a worry also, but in 15 years Ireland is going to have a lot more black/Arab/Asian/Eastern European adults who were born here or moved over with their parents as young kids, so I imagine there would be a backlash if at that point there were no/good as no presenters, reporters, weather people, etc of different ethnicities.

It's going to be an interesting transition, and entertaining at times watching some people lose their sh** over "these foreigners taking over our media and TV channels!" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Give it a while.

I would seriously doubt that there's any kind of barrier to entry at RTE or anywhere else for non-white presenters.
    It's just a matter of people being here long enough to become involved with the media and often that's going to be second generation rather than first generation where people aren't native English speakers anyway.

You'll start to see more diversity of presenters, journalists and producers as time goes on.

Well, no barriers other than the same barriers that anyone else trying to get a job in RTE faces ... Those presentation jobs that suddenly get awarded to the daughters of former presenters that I cannot find advertised ANYWHERE, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

The term white is meaningless. Eastern Europeans are white and under represented as you woul expect for recent immigrants. And the north side - outside of sport - is not represented. Culchies do ok.

So why not more asians and blacks and disabled presenters, and from the travelling community.
    Also your derogatory term for Irish people not from Dublin is noted.

I do not see a black poster on the boards.ie. Does this mean something sinistre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I do not see a black poster on the boards.ie. Does this mean something sinistre?

They all left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Ahh, what the ......... can we not deal with the issue of those féckin' bells at 12 and 6 first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Vahevala wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that having more ethnic people on the TV will above all else be pretty damn easy on the eyes.

For the ladies, Kama. For the lads, Future Kate Abdo (or Future Less Annoying Georgia Salpa).

I for one approve of this movement, though Marty Morissey and co may disagree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Current highest paid presenter in RTE is a grandson of the guy who was the first chairman of RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Current highest paid presenter in RTE is a grandson of the guy who was the first chairman of RTE.

Are you saying that talent breeds talent ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Joe Duffy is black.

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin.

QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can you see every boards.ie member?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement