Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working the oil fields.

Options
  • 06-09-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Is there anybody working the oil fields around Alberta or other places??

Is there much work available for non skilled workers and what are the working conditions like for workers??. Iv heard stories about it being a miserable place to work. (Fort Mcmurray)Is this exaggerated? Which locations should I check out and what is the pay like for a non skilled worker??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Yeah I worked on a service rig in sask.I don't recommend it,a very ****ty job and lifestyle,not worth the money at all. Pay was 27 an hr and yes you can be 'green' no experience but make sure your in good shape cause lifting those pipes all day is back breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Fort McMurray is certainly a complete s***hole. It's bad enough in the summer when the weather is nice, so you can imagine what it's like having to live there when it's -40 and there's a blizzard blowing. Excellent money available for professionals and skilled trade workers. Welders (particular TIG welders) are in high demand. Money not great for unskilled. As Son says above you could expect about double minimum wage.

Advertisement