Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PLease Help. Dual Boot not working!!!!

• 06-09-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

HI folks,

I am having a serious issue here and would appreciate if anyone could help me.

Basically,

I installed Win 7 Enterprise onto a computer from a WDS server and that installed without any issues. Once I had went through the intital setup phase of Win 7 Ent I was happy enough with the image.

NOw I had to create a partition on that computer and also load a Windows THin image onto it.
    That was no problem either

However the issue I am now having is that when I boot up the computer, even though there are 2 operating systems on the PC, it boots just striaght into one. There is no dual boot option at all.
    This is really confusing me.

Also in Disk management after this, I then made the original WIn 7 Ent the active partition, when I restarted the PC it came up telling me that "BOOTMGR is missing". Odd, considering the fact I was able to load into this OS 10 minutes previously.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Oh and there are 3 drives showing, the system reserved drive and the 2 partitions of the hard drive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Pucking Fissed Off

What operating system is the thin Image and how did you install it?

Have you checked your bcd store to see if you have an entry for the two partitions and the bootmgr?

To check the bcd store type bcdedit at an administrative command prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Have you checked your bcd store to see if you have an entry for the two partitions and the bootmgr?

Yes, on some it shows the second partiion on and on some it doesen't?

VEry odd.
    Never knew that command by the way so thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Just to let you know....
    I typed in "bcdedit" and it was still showing only one partition. Really started to drive me nuts because in disk management it shows the 2 partitions. It also showed both the partitions in My computer and Diskpart but it didn't show in the startup settings.

Becoming more angry I decided to investigate the BCD command further and came across "Bcdboot". Ran "BcdBoot C:\Windows and D:\(Being the second drive)" and like magic the partitions started to appear!
    Absoultely chuffed with this, you have saved me a lot of time just by giving me that BCD command.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Pucking Fissed Off

Just to let you know....
    I typed in "bcdedit" and it was still showing only one partition. Really started to drive me nuts because in disk management it shows the 2 partitions. It also showed both the partitions in My computer and Diskpart but it didn't show in the startup settings.

Becoming more angry I decided to investigate the BCD command further and came across "Bcdboot". Ran "BcdBoot C:\Windows and D:\(Being the second drive)" and like magic the partitions started to appear!
    Absoultely chuffed with this, you have saved me a lot of time just by giving me that BCD command.

Thanks.

No bother, my next post would have been to use the bcdboot cmdlet but you figured it out alone. Glad to hear everything is working.

If your doing dual boots with modern Microsoft OS's you should check out boot from VHD rather than using separate partitions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement