Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New possible dynamic now that older dog is gone?

• 06-09-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Our dog Rosie passed away this week from a heart complaint. She was a rescue and we thought she was about 7/8 years old but the vet reckons she was much older.

Bit of backstory: shortly after we got Rosie from the rescue, we discovered she was pregnant. She had 6 pups and we kept two. That was six years ago. The pups have grown and are grand dogs. Bit eccentric at times and mad as hatters, but they're good dogs and we've never had any aggression or separation anxiety or anything.
    Rosie was very much the boss. When they were growing up, she kept them in line. They each tried to cross her - once - when they hit the 'teen' phase, but she told firmly to get lost. And they did.

So now there's just Meg & Jack. Jack is a very excitable, sensitive dog who is prone to barking when he feels his feelings. But once you tell him "hey, it's okay, I will deal with this", he calms down. Basically you have to step up to the mark with that one. Meg is very much a helper dog. If you are have a cut, she will sniff it out. If you sigh deeply, she comes over to see what's up. If Jack doesn't come when called, she will give him a nudge and I have to tell her, "hey, it's okay. I will deal with him", and she subsides.

I know the two of them so well (and they know me) that I can spot any shenanigans a mile away and head them off at the pass. Not that trouble is forever brewing, it's not.

But now with Rosie gone, I just want to ask is there anything extra I should be watching out for? I really don't want Meg (and it will be Meg, the tenacious heartscald diva) giving Jack a hard time because he used to take it meekly but now the odd time she tries, he tells her to get lost and she is all 'make me', and they're scrapping. Nothing serious, just noise and posturing. But I like a quiet life and I like harmony in my household thanks!

We already do daily walks, and the nothing is life is free ethos.

I don't want to come across as I'm trying to create a problem where there isn't any, but I believe in being prepared and I believe that Rosie not being around is going to be difficult on them because they were together 99% of the time and shared each others food and bed and they were a family. We were a family. And I just want my remaining family to be okay.

Advertisement