Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with camper electrics

Options
  • 06-09-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm renovating a van and found that the EHU doesn't get power to the sockets or Zig unit (CF8). There is a breaker and the 2 switches on the right will no stay up even when no connected to EHU. The little test button will trip the switch on the left when connected to EHU.

I've checked the cable from house to van, fuse good and continuity on all cores.

Any ideas?

It's a new (to us) van and I've never tried the EHU before.
    [IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://postimage.org/ target=_blank>[/img]a>

Thanks

20140906_134547.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Fixed!.... Somehow

Opened up the box to have a nosey around, removed each switch and it was possible to reset them whilst disconnected. Fitted all back together and all electrics working fine on EHU.
    However, if I manual trip the 2 switches it is impossible to reset them without stripping the box and reseting the switches individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Moomat wrote: »
    Fixed!.... Somehow

Opened up the box to have a nosey around, removed each switch and it was possible to reset them whilst disconnected. Fitted all back together and all electrics working fine on EHU.
    However, if I manual trip the 2 switches it is impossible to reset them without stripping the box and reseting the switches individually.

If you can't reset them with the power off I'd just replace them they're cheap as chips these days, you don't want them going off on your holliers.

The leftmost one with the test button is likely an RCD this checks for >30mA leakage down the earth. Detecting a neutral - earth or live - earth fault.
    The test button indicates it works by breaking the circuit when pressed. They've a 7% fail rate about 4% if you use the test every now and again.

The other two are likely MCB's these break in the event of overload or short circuit. They will have a rating on them eg. a B10 is 10 amp and B is the sensitivity.

If you can't reset them with the EHU disconnected then it's just a mechanical fault in the breaker.
    If you can then I'd suspect an electrical fault in an appliance or a neutral - live wiring fault in the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Thanks lads, seems to be a mechanical fault so I'll replace the whole unit.

No need, probably keep the 4U box and RCD. All you need is two MCBs and check the end of the line for correct "polarity" and ground.
    €8 should get you there.

These jobbies are quiet handy to have for testing site hook-ups. Lidl / Aldi deals every so often.

518Av-q0CtL._SY450_.jpg

MCBs are cheap as chips RCDs are pricey.

• Advertisement

If you want to splash out get a few cable clips. ;)

Advertisement