Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i find berrys

Options
  • 06-09-2014 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

When i was younger i used to walk to the country and pick black berry's from bushes. I would return home with a face as black as coal. Recently i went for a drive down an old country road leading to Milford when i pulled in to a lane to check my engine and i saw blackberry on a bush not many but a few. is there some where safe i could go park and pick berry's with my kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

tonyheaney wrote: »
    When i was younger i used to walk to the country and pick black berry's from bushes. I would return home with a face as black as coal. Recently i went for a drive down an old country road leading to Milford when i pulled in to a lane to check my engine and i saw blackberry on a bush not many but a few. is there some where safe i could go park and pick berry's with my kids?
    Loads up the blackstairs mountain, was up at kilbrannish forest about 2 weeks ago and noted there was loads of bushes. There's a safe place to park and bushes are low and berries didn't look too hard to get at if the kids are young.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

theres hazlenuts and berries in some hedges out the old leighlin road. You'd be surprised, there are quite a few around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

maccored wrote: »
    theres hazlenuts and berries in some hedges out the old leighlin road. You'd be surprised, there are quite a few around

really? where exactly? is it safe with the kids or should they stay in car??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

go out the numbers road til you come to the Lambert Hygiene Systems - all along the road on both sides are berrys just ripening. theres hazelnuts (literally opposite my house) on the old leighlin road, but you;d need to know what you're looking for and they are high on the roadside hedges, so wouldnt be the safest. There's bound to be more growing wild though on the quieter backroads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Used to be loads of hazelnuts at the foot of the Rock of Dunamase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Used to be loads of hazelnuts at the foot of the Rock of Dunamase.

Did you come across any of the Little People while you were there :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nope, plenty of other kinds of nuts though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I remember seeing Darby O'Gill for the first time as a kid and then passing there in the car it blew my mind thinking leprechauns were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Likely safer than some of the current frozen imported ones, all the same make sure you're 101% certain about what type of berries you pick, just a few wrong type could drop a horse out cold.
    Particlarly Hedera helix.

I drove up the kelsian mountains carlow by the windmills and found loads :) I also found hazelnuts in the entrance to the dolmen rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 CMCR

I think you'll find the Kelsian mountains are in Iran! I presume you are referring to Killeshin?

Dolmen rock?? I knew there was a Mass rock, where's the dolmen?

Dolmen rock?? I knew there was a Mass rock, where's the dolmen?

drive out past the old swans and on towards tullow but not all the way. its hidden on the right.

Advertisement