Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving cert with Geography

• 06-09-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Well lads, i'm repeating my Leaving Cert and have decided to take up Geography this year and have a few questions, any help would be much appreciated

How many topics do i need to study between now and June?
    How long will the fieldwork take to complete?
    Are all topics the same length or similar?

Anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I took Geography up in a year for a repeat and got an A1. Everyone said it was impossible to do well in it, in a year. But I enjoyed it as it was something new and a change from my subjects from the previous year. I brought the book that contained all the essays and learnt everyone that was necessary. I didnt skip any or tried to guess. I learnt them all perfectly. I only learnt info from the textbook that was enough to cover the short questions. As geography is all about SRPs and not about an essay. An answer is x amount of SRPs, not half a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hooked96

Thanks hfallada :) Well im more confident now that I know it can be done! How did you find the fieldwork project? Did it take you till the deadline to complete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

hooked96 wrote: »
    Thanks hfallada :) Well im more confident now that I know it can be done! How did you find the fieldwork project? Did it take you till the deadline to complete?

You need a teacher to sign off on it. Most people get 80%, as its used as a way to bring up the grades of the subject. But when I viewed my script, my written exam was near perfect. I think I got like 92%, but my project was like 60%.Which was horrific, as I couldnt see where I lost marks and it was badly corrected. The corrector randomly ticked it and didnt look for SRPs. But I got an A1 on appeal.

The field is easy and most teachers tell the students the body of what to write and draw. I finished mine on the deadline, as we wrote it up on the day before the deadline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

hfallada wrote: »
    I took Geography up in a year for a repeat and got an A1. Everyone said it was impossible to do well in it, in a year. But I enjoyed it as it was something new and a change from my subjects from the previous year. I brought the book that contained all the essays and learnt everyone that was necessary. I didnt skip any or tried to guess. I learnt them all perfectly. I only learnt info from the textbook that was enough to cover the short questions. As geography is all about SRPs and not about an essay. An answer is x amount of SRPs, not half a page.

Could you explain the perfect 'SRP'? Fact + explanation = marks?

Advertisement