Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing on water charge to tenant

Options
  • 06-09-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have a property which is rented out under the RAS scheme.
    The contract states that the tenant is liable for water charges.
    I understand an introductory pack from Irish Water is being sent to me, as I am the registered owner etc.
    What is the process for getting the contract signed by the tenant etc?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

good question not alot of explaination what has to be done

http://www.water.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The pack should be sent to the tenant with a separate thing sent to you as owner. The occupier is liable regardless of if its in the contract, as its no different to power in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

MYOB wrote: »
    The pack should be sent to the tenant with a separate thing sent to you as owner. The occupier is liable regardless of if its in the contract, as its no different to power in that regard.

was there not mention that the owner can be held liable for tenants bills ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's a utility like electricity or gas now, so occupier liable. To cover yourself, make sure you have your tenants' PPS numbers in case they ever do a runner. I have contacted my tenants to make sure they understand the position and so they can avail of their free allowance. It might be an idea to just remind them out of courtesy. If Irish Water start trying to bill landlords for tenants' water usage there'll be a revolt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Make sure that you have a section in the lease which specifies that the tenant is liable for the water rates. Don't rent to them unless they sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

murphaph wrote: »

If Irish Water start trying to bill landlords for tenants' water usage there'll be a revolt.

Who from, us Irish. Your having a fcuking laugh. We have bent over and been rammed so far up our arses since the bust and not a peep out of us. I'm actually starting to think we actually like it. Other countries go ape **** when the **** hits the fan, not us irish as we go hide under a rock and when we come out, we've another few thousand or so to pay in taxes made out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Who from, us Irish. Your having a fcuking laugh. We have bent over and been rammed so far up our arses since the bust and not a peep out of us. I'm actually starting to think we actually like it. Other countries go ape **** when the **** hits the fan, not us irish as we go hide under a rock and when we come out, we've another few thousand or so to pay in taxes made out of thin air.

Please watch your tone and language, there are more eloquent ways to get your point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

I thought newbie2013's reply was completely accurate !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

While your statement is true were not actually doing to bad compared to where we where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That's not true.

Sometimes we write really grumpy letters to the free morning paper.

Other times we even b1tch about things on boards!

We really know how to show 'em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Got letters today from irish water, now the house is a pre 63 in six units. How on earth are they going to bill that. we only have one mains in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Got letters today from irish water, now the house is a pre 63 in six units. How on earth are they going to bill that. we only have one mains in.

I think it will be treated as unmetered and will fall under Assessed Charges, a flat rate fee based on the number of occupants.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/unmetered-water-charges-how-will-it-work.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

How you recently updated the house to cover the new regulations regarding Pre-63s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

hfallada wrote: »
    How you recently updated the house to cover the new regulations regarding Pre-63s?

Which regs are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

garhjw wrote: »
    Which regs are you referring to?

Minimum standards for rentals - separate bathroom for each unit, minimum cooking facilities, smoke/fire alarms etc etc. Has removed a huge amount of pre63s from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

MYOB wrote: »
    Minimum standards for rentals - separate bathroom for each unit, minimum cooking facilities, smoke/fire alarms etc etc. Has removed a huge amount of pre63s from the market.

Ah the besit, now they want pre-fabs, thats an other story,

Might be better to fit 3 more tanks, and let them meter them individual, like the esb.
    That way the tenants will have opportunity to choose their water supplier in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Sorry to hijack the thread folks but I am trying to get an understanding of the whole billing system for the charges.

From my understanding, a pack is sent to the landlord regarding the rented house. A pack is also sent to the tenant.

Landlord fills pack, stating his position, ie is a landlord of said property. Also states who the tenants are???

Tenant fills in own separate pack for billing at said address.

BTW I am a tenant and my landlord doesn't have a clue. He wants me to use his account number and pin for billing. Can you clarify if I am correct? Had a gander over the IW website and couldn't find my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

murphaph wrote: »
    To cover yourself, make sure you have your tenants' PPS numbers in case they ever do a runner.

A landlord has no right to demand a tenants pps number though. So you have to just rely on the tenant paying their bill the same way they pay their electricity, gas, sky etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

A landlord has no right to demand a tenants pps number though. So you have to just rely on the tenant paying their bill the same way they pay their electricity, gas, sky etc.

Don't landlords needs their tenants' PPS numbers to register them with the PRTB?

I believe It has since been clarified that landlords will not be responsible for arrears if tenants fail to register or pay. Heard that from someone who spoke to Irish Water last week.

I'm a bit confused as to how the water charges are going to work in our setup (as of now the whole water charges thing has been ignored and I haven't seen or spoke to the LL in over a year).

Anyway, mine is a shared house with all utility bills in the LL's name (gas, electricity etc) we just open his letters and pay the bills. However with the water charges it appears that all names of people in the house etc are required. None of us in the house want the water charges in our name (as any of us could move out at anytime) and I doubt the LL wants the hassle of having it in our names either. However I'm not sure if this can work with the water charges i.e. LL is billed and we pay, due to the fact there are multiple people in the house.

As I said we have just ignored anything to do with water charges and the LL hasn't contacted us either about it. Think we will just do nothing for now and see what happens. None of us are officially registered to the address all just renting rooms individually, no leases or any paper work at all etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

I'm a bit confused as to how the water charges are going to work in our setup (as of now the whole water charges thing has been ignored and I haven't seen or spoke to the LL in over a year).

Anyway, mine is a shared house with all utility bills in the LL's name (gas, electricity etc) we just open his letters and pay the bills. However with the water charges it appears that all names of people in the house etc are required. None of us in the house want the water charges in our name (as any of us could move out at anytime) and I doubt the LL wants the hassle of having it in our names either. However I'm not sure if this can work with the water charges i.e. LL is billed and we pay, due to the fact there are multiple people in the house.

As I said we have just ignored anything to do with water charges and the LL hasn't contacted us either about it. Think we will just do nothing for now and see what happens. None of us are officially registered to the address all just renting rooms individually, no leases or any paper work at all etc.

I'm also in a bit of confusion here. I've no meter on my property, the fact that there's 9 dogs running about usually deters a lot of people but that aside..i would presume that if you pay for something, you can expect a detailed bill, like with the ESB, i.e. cost per unit,units used etc.
    Why would i agree to pay a flat charge when I'm already payng for water through my taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

My landlord received a pack to his home address with the address were rentng from on it he just sent it on to us for us send back..treated just the same as ESB or Gas bill. A LL is entitled to your PPS number if u wish to rent allowence or for them to register you with the PRTB

You need to fill in the names of the people on the house in order to get your free allowances, as far as I know. You won't be in a timed contract with Irish Water, so would simply inform them you are moving (if someone moves out) and pay up until you leave for your usage.

doubter wrote: »
    I'm also in a bit of confusion here. I've no meter on my property, the fact that there's 9 dogs running about usually deters a lot of people but that aside..i would presume that if you pay for something, you can expect a detailed bill, like with the ESB, i.e. cost per unit,units used etc.
    Why would i agree to pay a flat charge when I'm already payng for water through my taxes?

Everyone is being charged a flat rate until water meters are fitted at every property. Many houses (I would say most) across the country so not yet have a meter.

It doesn't matter whether you agree to pay the flat rate, you are going to have to pay the flat rate from tomorrow. There is a misconception that one has to "agree" to pay the water charges by registering with Irish Water - that's simply not the case. There are going to be payable by every relevant household (ie those without private wells) by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Would the landlord not be breaching data privacy acts to provide anyone else with a tenants PPS number and information?

It doesn't matter whether you agree to pay the flat rate, you are going to have to pay the flat rate from tomorrow. There is a misconception that one has to "agree" to pay the water charges by registering with Irish Water - that's simply not the case.

So does the LL get billed in our case where they have no details of the tenants? I don't even know if they have the LL's details as the pack from Irish water had "to the householer" on it rather then the LL's name.
    There are going to be payable by every relevant household (ie those without private wells) by law.

Houses on group water schemes are also exempt as they already pay to be in the scheme.

So does the LL get billed in our case where they have no details of the tenants? I don't even know if they have the LL's details as the pack from Irish water had "to the householer" on it rather then the LL's name.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-water-responds-to-landlords-questions-1.1946670

Be interesting to know if they actually have my LL's info.

I really don't want the water charges in my name in the house (I'm very happy that the other utilities are in the LL's name, makes life much easier and I'd like the same with the water charges if possible). One of my housemates is also totally refusing to pay water charges (he binned the welcome pack) so I think I will just ignore everything for now and see how it plays out.

Be interesting to know if they actually have my LL's info.

I really don't want the water charges in my name in the house and one of my housemates is totally refusing to pay water charges (he binned the welcome pack) so I think I will just ignore everything for now.

They'll know your LL owns the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pjmco408

I moved out of my previous rented accommodation on the 8th August ,2015 but have yet to receive my rental deposit in full as the landlord wants to retain €200 for water charges. Although we never received any correspondence or bills for irish water during our tenancy?
    Can anyone over any advice on my rights?

Advertisement