Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing on water charge to tenant

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

I rent and my pack was sent to me it went in the bin obviously I didn't register so the LL text to say she registered us or gave out details to Irish Water as she " had to " I received the first and second bill and a reminder and all went in the bin as I am not paying now when we leave the house next year she can do what she wants and take it out of the deposit I dont really care as we know we will have hassle getting that back from her anyway as she is a nightmare to deal with.
    But I do know its the tenants responsibility to register and if they dont you can pass on their details like ours did and the tenant is meant to pay the bill and if they dont take it from their deposit that way you are not out of pocket.

I too am a landlord and rent my apartment out and my tenant registered herself and paid her bills but that is her business I advised her I was not going to make anyone pay water bills and she needed to deal with it herself and so she has.

pjmco408 wrote: »
    I moved out of my previous rented accommodation on the 8th August ,2015 but have yet to receive my rental deposit in full as the landlord wants to retain €200 for water charges. Although we never received any correspondence or bills for irish water during our tenancy?
    Can anyone over any advice on my rights?

€ 200.00 is too much as the bill for this year for 2 people is € 128.42 so far I would query that with them.
    You obviously didnt register with Irish Water so your LL is estimating the charge which is incorrect.
    My advice would be to call Irish water and find out what the charge is on the property get it in writing and tell the LL to deduct that.

Pac2015 wrote: »
    € 200.00 is too much as the bill for this year for 2 people is € 128.42 so far I would query that with them.
    You obviously didnt register with Irish Water so your LL is estimating the charge which is incorrect.
    My advice would be to call Irish water and find out what the charge is on the property get it in writing and tell the LL to deduct that.

It would actually be between 150 and 170 euro if they are on a flat rate (260 per year for 2 or more people) if they are metered it could be more or less you will need to see the bills to know.

How long from the year where you in the property from when the water charges came in so far for me and my husband we have received a bill of 128.42 and the full charge is 260.00 for the year but I think you will need the bills

Pac2015 wrote: »
    How long from the year where you in the property from when the water charges came in so far for me and my husband we have received a bill of 128.42 and the full charge is 260.00 for the year but I think you will need the bills

If we assume they were in the house on the Jan 1st then they will have 7 full months and then some for august.

260/12 = 21.6x7.25 (8 days is approx 0.25 of the month) = 157 euro, if worked out exactly or 172.8 if the LL charges them for all august.

You were very foolish not to register as you will have to pay for your water either way and now you cant claim the 100 euro conservation grant. It came into my account last week and will cover the price of plenty of pints of stout!

• Advertisement

If we assume they were in the house on the Jan 1st then they will have 7 full months and then some for august.

260/12 = 21.6x7.25 (8 days is approx 0.25 of the month) = 157 euro, if worked out exactly or 172.8 if the LL charges them for all august.

I wouldnt argue over € 30.00 so !

Advertisement