Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magee barracks in Kildare town

Options
  • 06-09-2014 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can go into the Magee barracks in Kildare or is it completely closed off to the public? I'd like to walk around and take some photos. I've seen some nice photos on flickr that other people have taken but they're fairly old so I'm not sure if the place is still accessible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I looked into this some time back when I was on the Council. There are insurance issues with public access to the site, and it is still an offence to photograph the buildings as they are military facilities (albeit long abandoned). The last time I checked was in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I drove up there on Sunday to have a look. There's a no trespassing sign on the main entrance so I left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

fencing up all around the grounds. due for demolition soon as far as I know. I would love to have a wander around with a camera before its gone.

If there was enough interest, from amateur and professional photographers I could ask a friend who is a local councellor to see what would be the possibility of access for a day before demolition but as has been said, there may be an issue with public liability insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Are the Magee Barracks the ones in Kildare Town, down by Lidl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Yeah its straight across from the Toyota dealer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement