Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cream cheese icing won't set!

• 06-09-2014 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had problems recently getting cream cheese to behave like icing? The philadelphia full fat cheese has "now even creamier" printed on the pack, and it's just like flippen soup for me when beaten with icing sugar.

My normal ratio is about 1:1 weight of cheese to sugar. I tried adding another bit of sugar, no difference.

I left it in the fridge overnight, to see was it just my kitchen. Still soup in the morning.

What gives? Is carrot cake off the menu? Will this affect cheesecake too?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is it the spreadable Philadelphia? That's rubbish at setting, I find. You really need the blocks, but bizarrely they seem to have stopped selling it.

I'm not sure what to suggest, only adding a bit more icing sugar. Whatever's in the spreadable cream cheese in the tubs stops it from setting for icing (like spreadable butter compared to a block).

Edit: actually, no, more sugar won't help. You could try a recipe that uses butter as well as cream cheese? Like this one (I think it's the one I use) http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/529392/cream-cheese-frosting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, couldn't find the normal blocks, so got the 'now even creamier' tubs.

Did a version with butter too (after i chucked out the first one), same result, but sligtly more yellow soup.

Bother and damnation anyway, my carrot cake has a sloppy glaze on it instead of some nice firm icing.

Maybe I need to send a cross email with my photos to whoever makes it.

The other thing is not to over beat it, and if your kitchen was warm when you were making it, that may have affected the structure in a way that couldn't be saved by putting it in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I fold whipped cream into the philadelphia when I make cheesecake, instead of using gelatine. It works as well as gelatine and sets really well. It's like a heart attack on a plate. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've heard a lot of complaints about the blocks not being available any more so I looked at their FB page and there are some complaints about the new 'creamier' Philadelphia there too. They seem to have made the texture even worse. And the pack is smaller too apparently.

• Advertisement

I've heard a lot of complaints about the blocks not being available any more so I looked at their FB page and there are some complaints about the new 'creamier' Philadelphia there too. They seem to have made the texture even worse. And the pack is smaller too apparently.

From that Facebook page:
    Our latest efforts resulted in a great new formula with a creamier texture, and an optimised nutrition profile with a reduced fat, sat fat and salt level.

That's the problem, then. They've basically made it 'light'. The fat is what's needed for the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Clionam22

I know it's extra work but swiss meringue buttercream with cream cheese sets & it's pipeable, I usually use Tesco's "full fat soft cheese". Meriwhite powder might stabilise it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

You could also try Lidl's brand of full fat cream cheese. It's sold in a tub, I think the brand is goldisma? Or something to that effect. I find it's thicker than normal tub Philidephia but not quite as thick as the blocks.

I always used the blocks for my baked American cheesecake, but think I'll try Lidl brand next time.

Thanks guys, new brand needed alright.

Swiss meringeue i do for a coffee cake alright, but I think it would be too sweet for a carrot cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I was giving out about the same thing recently, some fool who doesn't bake made the "executive decision" to drop the blocks imho! And for heavens sake, why can't they keep up to speed: low-fat versions of anything are hideous chemical concoctions with next to no relationship with real food...........we're better off with the full-fat item, in moderation..........again imho :o!

As far as the icing goes, I had to melt white chocolate and fold it into the "soup" when cooled......it was sweet but at least it stopped dripping!

And......if anyone knows anyone with a little common sense in the dairy industry, perhaps try mentioning that there is a fairly decent market out here for real, full-fat, firm cream cheese blocks if they would like to take a gamble? I know for a fact that home bakers in the UK would like to see it on their shelves as well!

But until that happens I'm leaving Philly everything in the shop, I'm off to make my own cream cheese! And if I have any luck, I'll come back and share!

• Advertisement

I used it as a vanilla sauce over fruit in the end. Had a look in aldi for the blocks today, but no joy. They have tubs as well... Didn't get a chance to check the fat ratio. The one on the tubs of philly in the fridge are 21%. Wonder what it was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

pwurple wrote: »
    I used it as a vanilla sauce over fruit in the end. Had a look in aldi for the blocks today, but no joy. They have tubs as well... Didn't get a chance to check the fat ratio. The one on the tubs of philly in the fridge are 21%. Wonder what it was before.

http://www.philly.com.au/products/philadelphia-cream-cheese-block/

That link there says it was 34% with the light version being 21%

Damn them! I was going to make a coffee cake this weekend. Might try the swiss meringue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Have you ever made a carrot cake or any came with a cream chees topping and used the aldi/lidi/Tesco own brand of cream cheese and got disappointing results.

I have just make a courgette and lime cake and make the toping with a Tesco own brand cream cheese and it completely runny that never happens with Philadelphia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I recommend the Tesco brand. Costs fraction of Philadelphia and I use it for (albeit baked) cheese cake all the time.

Advertisement