Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to oz

Options
  • 06-09-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all just looking for advice from anyone whose been to oz!

I'm 23 single and living out of home. For the last 2 years I've been thinking about going to oz but always get freaked out at the thought of leaving home. I am working and all but never really go out much the weekends anymore as most of my friends are all settled and even some have babies and I'm kind of at the stage in my life where I don't know what I want to do I'd love to take a year out and try somethin new.Few of my friends are over in Perth and loving it well so they say but I'd rather hear others opinions on it. I know once your there and working and all it's hard. The thing that scares me the most and I know it's ridiculous is the spiders!! Eeeekk and I could get used to the hot weather everyone there does. Is it worth going over to or is it not all it's cracked up to be???

Cheers :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

A year in Oz is what you make it. A lot of people absolutely love Oz (myself included) equally you will meet people who didn't like it and maybe returned home earlier than expected Etc.

It all depends on what you are looking for from your year out. The cost of living is high and the work for the most part is hard but for me the outdoorsy lifestyle I can live makes up for it.

I think if you go out with a work hard play hard attitude you should enjoy ur time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

book a flight, there is nothing to be getting freaked out about. don't worry about the spiders, unless you are in a country'ish area, you will never see snakes, spiders, any of that crap.

23..........you're going to have to leave the nest at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Nobody has died in oz from a spider bite in 34 years.

They are far more scared of you than you are of them. Buy a can of bug spray and enjoy your trip.

Bring cash and an open mind along with a positive outlook.

However don't move to Australia when a small change like moving to a different job or city will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 b_ferry

spiders? meh, it's the Drop Bears you got to watch.
    Job opportunities can be hard to find over here at the moment, with high youth unemployment (28% in my regional city).
    Otherwise, come on down.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lauzzy22

Thanks for the replies!! Just paid off my visa so I'll have no choice but to go! :-)

As they say you only live once :-)

And what are drop bears?? :-O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Lauzzy22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!! Just paid off my visa so I'll have no choice but to go! :-)

As they say you only live once :-)

And what are drop bears?? :-O

Drop bears are like a bigger version of a koala that drop down from trees and attack people hence the name. Very dangerous but not very common thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

not very nice creatures, one killed my neighbors cat, ate half and left an awful mess in the garden.

640px-Dropbear.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lauzzy22 wrote: »
    Oh my god just googled them there Jesus Christ never heard of them!! They look so scary!!! :-O think I'd be more afraid of that than a spider!!!!

Shes a good sport :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Zambia wrote: »
    Shes a good sport :-)

Should we tell her about the hoop snakes? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I was almost attacked by a drop bear before working in the bush, then a hoop snake came out of nowhere and chased off the drop bear. I got the hell out of there asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nirwin2016

hello,

I am new to boards and just wondering if anyone knows anything about visas to Australia my boyfriend got a 1 year visa but only stayed 3 months because he broke his arm and had to come home but now I am thinking about getting a 1 year visa to work and he wants to try and go back can he apply for a 1 year visa again or is there any way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

nirwin2016 wrote: »
    hello,

I am new to boards and just wondering if anyone knows anything about visas to Australia my boyfriend got a 1 year visa but only stayed 3 months because he broke his arm and had to come home but now I am thinking about getting a 1 year visa to work and he wants to try and go back can he apply for a 1 year visa again or is there any way around it?

If you are under thirty you can apply for a working holiday visa. Unless your boyfriend did his farm work to qualify for a second year working holiday visa he would only be eligible for a three month holiday visa or depending on his profession could look into the possibility of a sponsorship or PR visa... Easier said than done!!
    New Zealand also do working holiday visa if you were both interested in working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

pete4130 wrote: »
    I was almost attacked by a drop bear before working in the bush, then a hoop snake came out of nowhere and chased off the drop bear. I got the hell out of there asap.

drop bears wont attack you though if you smear vegemite on your face. it tastes like acid to them

Advertisement