Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for people adept in game maker

• 06-09-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys, new here (and boards.ie in general) so please don't take my head off if I've done something wrong or I make some glaringly obvious mistake(which, don't worry, I will).

I've been thinking about getting into the games industry for a while and would absolutely love to, but instead of going and doing a relevant degree, I've decided to make a game with no experience at all!

I am not good at coding and don't claim to be. I don't understand that and have zero interest in learning. My area of expertise, if you could call it that, is writing. Not trying to be cocky, but I think I can craft a good story and features, and would love to see if people other than myself and my Mam think so. I don't have a lot of money though(surprisingly being a student isn't the best paid occupation) and have a small budget because of that. Nothing.

My idea is a mix between the visual style of hotline miami, relatively simplistic, with the gameplay being similar too. However, it is not a hotline miami esque game. It is about a gang boss who gets run out of her own territory and has to resort to other ways to make cash, and not run of the mill ways either.

Not that I don't trust you presumably beautiful people, but I don't want to be putting my great idea all over the internet for anyone to have a peep at, so I'll keep the rest under my hat for the minute. My aim is to get a small demo up on a website, like what Gods Will Be Watching did, and generate a stir. Maybe even start a kickstarter. After a bit of interest and maybe even a bit of money is raised, we crack on with the game, release it on steam, and make millions.

Did I mention I kind of live in my own fantasy land?

I know that likely won't happen, but I am determined to try. So I need someone who's adept in game maker to have a chat with and see if what I'm planning is possible, and if it goes well, attempt to make this thing. If not, I'll have a cry and move on to my next impossible project.

Sorry for the amount of words, but I really do want to have a crack at this. If anyone with experience is interested, please do let me know.

Thanks, Hugh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Game maker is about as simplistic as you can get and there are a load of tutorials online.

You only need a basic comprehension of programming techniques however working with 2d games presents it's own problems as creating the artwork requires a lot of work. You would need a 2d artist to do all animations frame by frame.

3d is easier to work with in a lot of cases as there are loads of free assets online including models, scripts, materials/textures and animations.

That would require a step up to something like Unreal Engine 4 which is very cheap to get into. Only €19 to subscribe to the full engine and tools which can be cancelled anytime while you can continue using the software.

My advice is learn to walk before you try to run. Try making some projects on game maker to get you started.

A good idea is easy. The work involved in turning your idea into reality is the hard part.

Advertisement