Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Scorpion kick is 20 years old!

• 06-09-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭

So I just saw this happened 20 19 years ago.

Time really does fly by.

https://vine.co/v/htYhEm95HJI

Edit; it's been 19 years not 20. But still time flies from one of the coolest moments in football.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Still brilliant.

Remember trying to emulate this on the fields by our estate. Lads were constantly breaking themselves open.

Ah memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The single greatest thing to ever happen anywhere ever. That includes the discovery of fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I never saw this in my lifetime but my god what a thing of beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Without meaning to come across overly negative, if Courtois did that I'd be pretty annoyed that he'd take such an unnecessary risk, I imagine Mourinho would too. I imagine that would go for any keeper/manager combination in professional football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Without meaning to come across overly negative, if Courtois did that I'd be pretty annoyed that he'd take such an unnecessary risk, I imagine Mourinho would too. I imagine that would go for any keeper/manager combination in professional football.

Wasn't someone offside or something and that's why he did it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Remember watching highlights of that game on night it happened,legendary moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Augmerson wrote: »
    Iirc he didn't know that when he did it,could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe, also it was only a friendly so score didn't matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It really doesn't matter if it was a friendly or offside or an unnecessary risk to be honest it was a moment in time that as Augmerson said had every lad out trying to recreate it the next day and there are very few moments in sport anymore that do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It takes a brave soul to perform such an audacious and risky move in a Columbian jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

It takes a brave soul to perform such an audacious and risky move in a Columbian jersey.

Higuita figured that if he hadn't been shot for this...

.... then he was probably safe for life.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I never saw this in my lifetime but my god what a thing of beauty!

I don't feel old at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ref blew for offside but its still a thing of beauty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Another day and another post on boards that makes me feel old. I'd swear I'm not old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I fully agree but that's what is so amazing about it.

It worked and we're talking about it two decades later.

You could be merely functional and effective and win a treble and no-one but your own fans would give a ah1t after a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think it was Darren Anderton who initially kicked it in and if my memory serves he never actually saw the kick. he had turned and started to run back after such an awful cross. His team-mates had to get him to look up at the replay. Some of them were actually trying to show him what had happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's what makes it so brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think it was Jamie Redknapp who initially kicked it in and if my memory serves he never actually saw the kick. he had turned and started to run back after such an awful cross. His team-mates had to get him to look up at the replay. Some of them were actually trying to show him what had happened

FYP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

With Higuita it wasnt a matter if something was going to happen but when.

So of course he would never play in a Mourinho (to just name one of the price fighters out there) team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Thread title is finally accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I remember watching highlights on 'Sportsnight' that night, not knowing that it had happened and my jaw hitting the floor!

What a moment....but yeah, 20 years ago, Christ I'm old :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Can you imagine if he f*cked it up tho ?

What a bollocking he'd get from the manager ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Can you imagine if he f*cked it up tho ?

What a bollocking he'd get from the manager ..

Nothing would have happened. The whistle had clearly gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I remember hearing about this when I was younger. My friend said he had a copy of the game on VHS. That was a load of bollix.

It took a few more years until I finally saw it. Things are so easy these days.

Lunatic to try it. Genius to pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think it was Darren Anderton who initially kicked it in and if my memory serves he never actually saw the kick. he had turned and started to run back after such an awful cross. His team-mates had to get him to look up at the replay. Some of them were actually trying to show him what had happened

Was it not redknapp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

roanoke wrote: »
    Higuita figured that if he hadn't been shot for this...

.... then he was probably safe for life.

lol, love the commentary... "something between clownery and art" Summed him up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The ref had blown too so he knew it was a free out if i recall correctly.
    Ive never seen it as anything other than an acrobatic party piece .
    Sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

cjmc wrote: »
    The ref had blown too so he knew it was a free out if i recall correctly.
    Ive never seen it as anything other than an acrobatic party piece .
    Sorry :(

Exactly what it was. He knew there'd be no consequences if he missed so tried it for the cameras. Nowhere near as impressive or goal-threatening as some people are making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jamie Redknapp career highlight. Bang good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement