Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can labour start even if baby's head isn't engaged?

Options
  • 06-09-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I am not in labour nor am I looking for medical advice at all, just curious to hear from people who have actually experienced giving birth! I'm getting very mixed answers on this one! The midwife said you can definitely go into labour prior to engagement as the early contractions often push the baby into position.
    However, the doctor passed a comment about how the baby is 'still very high up', I think implying that labour was a good bit away. My baby is head down but not engaged and I am 37 weeks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, you can go into labour if the head isn't engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Yeah you can I did on my 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

So did I :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Yep, happened to me on my first, the work the contractions were doing was moving baby into position. When I was admitted, the midwives couldn't even find my cervix! (baby was still so high up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Same as the others. Head wasnt engaged at all with the first. My waters went but i had no contractions and even after my waters were gone her head still wasnt engaged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, went into labour without head being engaged both times. (Second was induced at 39 wks though).

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Yeah same here, had a lot of work to do to get head engaged, a lot of bouncing on ball and walking corriders!!!

Advertisement