Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Development Environment

Options
  • 06-09-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I work on a company where we do .Net Programming. we use TFS & VS2013. we will start doing iOS programming soon. I am looking for advice about what I need for the development & test environments, we will get Mac PRO and will use Xcode for development. what we can use for SourceControl? can we use TFS?? any thing else I should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LearningJunkie

Hi,

Xcode has everything you need for development and test environments. While the iOS simulator is great for testing your apps you should always carry out final testing on a physical device where possible.

A Mac PRO may be over powered for app development especially if you are only starting. A Mac mini might be sufficient and help save a lot of money.

I'm not too sure about the source control. Git appears to be Apples favourite method of source control as there is a checkbox option to create a Git repository for you when creating new projects.

Finally the last thing I mention will be about the choice of programming language. With the release of iOS 8 in the near future we have swift as an option to write our apps with. Swift is nicer to use I'm finding but it is still in beta form so language changes are very possible. Also, there is much more support and code examples online for Objective-C.

Hope this helps,
    -LJ

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Use Git for source control.

If you can afford a Mac Book Pro for development go for it, I use a Mac Mini and it very quickly has become slow when developing in XCode.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LearningJunkie

Use Git for source control.

If you can afford a Mac Book Pro for development go for it, I use a Mac Mini and it very quickly has become slow when developing in XCode.

Didn't realise the Mac mini would have issues with Xcode. I'll keep that in mind for myself. I've a MacBook pro that runs great at the moment but it's on the limit of its 8GB RAM sometimes depending on what else is running.

I'm only learning at the moment so when it comes to some serious development I may have to upgrade my RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have a Mac Mini in work and it had 4GB at the start. It was unusable nearly, so I had to get it upgraded to 8GB. Now its decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dawngains

Yes testing app is very essential. Now-a-days while developing any module, first testing is been done whether its working or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 BillUnder

XCode generally requires the latest version of OSX so don't get a mac that's too old. My old mac-mini can only run Snow Leopard. I currently use a 13" i7 8GB MacBook Air which is ok. Since you will be compiling a lot, a solid state drive will help a lot. XCode supports Git and Subversion, though I would use an external client like SourceTree for Git or Cornerstone for Subversion. Git seems to be the VCS de jour but it's more complicated than Subversion. There are a small number of things that can't run on the simulator but I would get an iPhone for personal/development use so you can try out the touch interactions.

Advertisement