Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted / Share] House share in Leixlip or anywhere thats close to HP

Options
  • 06-09-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi! I will be relocating from Sweden to Ireland on the 3rd of october. I will be working for hp starting on the 6th of october. I'm looking for a house/apartment to share with other people. I have already looked for house shares/apartment shares using daft.ie rent.ie and gumtree.ie but it's quite pricey. Is any one here working for hp looking for a roommate?
    Where else could I be looking for apartments/house shares Thats close to hp?
    Tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might find it difficult as there is a large amount of construction work at the nearby Intel factory. Check with HR if they know of anyone doing house shares. You might consider Celbridge and Lucan also.

Buses are 67 & 67x on the Celbridge Road and 66b & 66x at Leixlip end or the 66 & 66a in Leixlip village itself. HP may have an arrangement for a private bus - check with HR.

At the weekend, there are the 66N and 67N night buses from Dublin city centre.

When you find somewhere, put your exact locations (home and work) and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. Make sure you have selected "take neighbouring stops into account for origin and destination maximum 20 min walk".

• Registered Users Posts: 10 andajeda

Thanks for the info:) do you know how long it takes to get to hp from celbridge road/ lucan?
    I heard that maynooth is pretty close to hp as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Maynooth is close by (~6/7 mins by car) however supply is even more restricted there because of the university

andajeda wrote: »
    Thanks for the info:) do you know how long it takes to get to hp from celbridge road/ lucan?
    About 1km - a 15 minute walk from the Lucan-Celbridge Road, but Celbridge is 3-5 km and Lucan (big area) is 4-9km.

Is that so:/ Do you guys think it's possible to find an accommodation in leixlip/maynooth/celbridge/lucan for 350 Euro including bills?
    Where does the hp shuttle bus pick up employees?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is that so:/ Do you guys think it's possible to find an accommodation in leixlip/maynooth/celbridge/lucan for 350 Euro including bills?
    Where does the hp shuttle bus pick up employees?

Chances between nil and non existent. Plus bills maybe but not including bills. Maynooth is a University town and Celbridge/Leixlip/Lucan are all commuter areas to Dublin City Centre. Demand is high

There are some here: http://www.daft.ie/kildare/rooms-to-share/leixlip/?s[room_type]=either with rents (only) of €270-509 per month. However, be wary of places with no photo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

HP Bus collects from Louisa Bridge in Leixlip and from Hazelhatch in Celbridge.
    Make sure you get on the right bus- there are staff buses for 4 or 5 different companies collecting from both stations!

Also- its less than a 5 minute walk from the bus stop on the Lucan-Celbridge road, across Youngs cross- and you're in HP at the rugby roundabout. Excellent canoe club there too- if you like canoeing.

Your price (350 inclusive of bills) is not going to work- realistically you're looking at in the region of 500 (inclusive)- if you can find it. Supply of accommodation- is better in Lucan/Celbridge than Leixlip/Maynooth (but even then its remarkably constrained).

Victor wrote: »
    There are some here: http://www.daft.ie/kildare/rooms-to-share/leixlip/?s[room_type]=either with rents (only) of €270-509 per month. However, be wary of places with no photo.

Shocked at the owner occupier wanting €95 a week for Mon-Fri ONLY :o

Thanks for all the great advices guys. suppose I have to change my monthly budget. I have already contacted a few of the advertisers but haven't received a response yet. Btw there was a guy on daft.ie who said I could secure a room by sending a deposit to him. I don't think it it's a good idea. But Is it traceable if I do send it? it's a reasonable price too, 350 Euro including bills. I feel so stressed out about finding accommodation I just wanna get it over with :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

athtrasna wrote: »

well- you have Maynooth down the road- so maybe it might suit some people.
    €95 a week for Mon-Fri is pricey though.......

Thanks for all the great advices guys. suppose I have to change my monthly budget. I have already contacted a few of the advertisers but haven't received a response yet. Btw there was a guy on daft.ie who said I could secure a room by sending a deposit to him. I don't think it it's a good idea. But Is it traceable if I do send it? it's a reasonable price too, 350 Euro including bills. I feel so stressed out about finding accommodation I just wanna get it over with :/
    I would be very wary of (a) paying money before seeing the property or (b) sending money via Western Union or similar (a known scam). Another scam is that the landlord lives in London or somewhere else, not in Ireland.

That sounds like a scam, steer well clear. If something sounds too good to be true it usually is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

athtrasna wrote: »
    well- you have Maynooth down the road- so maybe it might suit some people.
    €95 a week for Mon-Fri is pricey though.......

It's less than I charge for a Mon - Fri arrangement. 95 a week all inclusive is not a bad deal, it works out at 411 per month over the course of the year.

I think it's better if I ask my soon to be colleagues if they would like to share an accommodation, hopefully we can get together and rent an entire house

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think it's better if I ask my soon to be colleagues if they would like to share an accommodation, hopefully we can get together and rent an entire house
    Hey, any idea what desk you'll be on? There's a good few Swedes around the place in Leixlip. Most of the time, I think they just they come over here en masse and rent a house together. I'd advise checking out the house beforehand, as one or two of the rentals are a bit crap; low rent, and all bills included usually equal crap house. A week or two in a hostel could spare you a lot of misery.

The shuttle bus runs off the train time table, so shortly after train arrives, people get onto the shuttle bus, and the shuttle bus goes to HP. Thus people also rent closer to Dublin for the nightlife there, but you have to decide if you're prepared for the daily commute. Also can depend on what time your shift starts/ends.

Oaklawn (houses) and Louisa Park (apartments) are close to where the shuttle bus picks people up. Leixlip Park, Elton Court, and Forest park would be walking distance from HP, with Castletown in between the two areas. Glen Easton and Easton Meadows are a bit away, but there's a shortcut across a field/park that people take to cut down on the walk. Ryevale Lawns would be a bit away, but there's an unofficial stop where the shuttle bus will (usually) stop if you put out your hand.

The shuttle bus picks people up somewhere in Celbridge, north of the village I think, but not 100% sure where. If you cycle, you can cut through the grounds of Castletown House as a shortcut to the back entrance of HP.

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey, any idea what desk you'll be on? There's a good few Swedes around the place in Leixlip. Most of the time, I think they just they come over here en masse and rent a house together. I'd advise checking out the house beforehand, as one or two of the rentals are a bit crap; low rent, and all bills included usually equal crap house. A week or two in a hostel could spare you a lot of misery.

The shuttle bus runs off the train time table, so shortly after train arrives, people get onto the shuttle bus, and the shuttle bus goes to HP. Thus people also rent closer to Dublin for the nightlife there, but you have to decide if you're prepared for the daily commute. Also can depend on what time your shift starts/ends.

Oaklawn (houses) and Louisa Park (apartments) are close to where the shuttle bus picks people up. Leixlip Park, Elton Court, and Forest park would be walking distance from HP, with Castletown in between the two areas. Glen Easton and Easton Meadows are a bit away, but there's a shortcut across a field/park that people take to cut down on the walk. Ryevale Lawns would be a bit away, but there's an unofficial stop where the shuttle bus will (usually) stop if you put out your hand.

The shuttle bus picks people up somewhere in Celbridge, north of the village I think, but not 100% sure where. If you cycle, you can cut through the grounds of Castletown House as a shortcut to the back entrance of HP.

Service desk four, does that tell you anything? Do you work for hp? No friend of mine wanted to try their luck in Ireland, too far from home. What about riverview apts, is it within walking distance to hp? Saw a reasonable listing on daft.ie 400 + bills, double bedroom and own bathroom. Guess I have to talk to cpl about the shuttle bus timetable

Service desk four, does that tell you anything? Do you work for hp? No friend of mine wanted to try their luck in Ireland, too far from home. What about riverview apts, is it within walking distance to hp? Saw a reasonable listing on daft.ie 400 + bills, double bedroom and own bathroom. Guess I have to talk to cpl about the shuttle bus timetable
    Ugh. You could be starting as early as six am :pac:

Riverview? 40 minute walk to HP, 25 minutes to Hazelhatch train station (for the Celbridge shuttle bus). Although you could get a bicycle, during winter the roads can be fairly bad (icy, etc).

the_syco wrote: »
    Ugh. You could be starting as early as six am :pac:

Riverview? 40 minute walk to HP, 25 minutes to Hazelhatch train station (for the Celbridge shuttle bus). Although you could get a bicycle, during winter the roads can be fairly bad (icy, etc).

I rather start early and finish early, besides I'm a morning person :D
    Talk about morning exercise. what desk are you on?
    I got an advise from someone who rents out their room that I shouldn't be looking for apartments too early since no one will hold the room for me unless I agree to pay the deposit in advance. How often do they even advertise apartments/ house shares? my biggest fear is coming to Ireland and not having anywhere to stay. That would suck big time. Although I could stay in hostels until I find something more permanent, how stressful.

Btw anyone know anything about HPs gym? Is it good?

• Advertisement

Btw anyone know anything about HPs gym? Is it good?
    Haven't gone to it in a while, but it's not bad. Free weights, cycling and running machines, lat pull down machine and a few other weight lifting machines. If you finish early, you should be able to attend the evening classes they do there also (at 4pm or 5pm). AFAIK, it's open all the time, but only has a staff member in it during the evening for a few hours.
    Talk about morning exercise. what desk are you on?
    One of the smaller desks.
    I got an advise from someone who rents out their room that I shouldn't be looking for apartments too early since no one will hold the room for me unless I agree to pay the deposit in advance.
    Correct. You'd need to pay deposit, and a months rent. Not a good idea if you've never been to it.
    How often do they even advertise apartments/ house shares?
    Usually see a few notices on the internal notice-boards looking for housemates, as people sometimes come here for a years experience in an english speaking helpdesk, and then go home.
    Although I could stay in hostels until I find something more permanent, how stressful.
    Trust me; a few weeks in a hostel is better than a few months in a crap room. And some places are dives :( Research where mould usually appears, and when looking at houses, check the places for mould, and/or fresh paint where it would usually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note; Folks can you take the work chat to pm please.

my biggest fear is coming to Ireland and not having anywhere to stay. That would suck big time. Although I could stay in hostels until I find something more permanent, how stressful.
    Potentially, pick a guest house / B&B in Leixlip - they may do a deal if you are staying a few days. I imagine you would have to head for the city centre to get a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

HP Bus collects from Louisa Bridge in Leixlip and from Hazelhatch in Celbridge.
    Make sure you get on the right bus- there are staff buses for 4 or 5 different companies collecting from both stations!

Also- its less than a 5 minute walk from the bus stop on the Lucan-Celbridge road, across Youngs cross- and you're in HP at the rugby roundabout. Excellent canoe club there too- if you like canoeing.

Your price (350 inclusive of bills) is not going to work- realistically you're looking at in the region of 500 (inclusive)- if you can find it. Supply of accommodation- is better in Lucan/Celbridge than Leixlip/Maynooth (but even then its remarkably constrained).

Wildly optimistic there, the roundabout at Barnhall rugby club is barely more than half way from Youngs cross to the front door of HP.

OP, the HP shuttle buses serve Hazelhatch and Louisa Bridge train stations, Celbridge main street and the Hazelhatch and Maynooth roads in Celbridge along with the Maynooth and Barnhall roads in Leixlip.
    Using public transport from Maynooth will involve a decent walk or connecting with the shuttle.
    The confey / river forest area of Leixlip again would require a long walk, you could meet the shuttle bus half way (ish) or if you're really lazy the train from confey to Louisa Bridge and then shuttle.
    In Lucan, anywhere south of the N4 road with the possible exception of estates immediately adjacent to junction 3 or junction 4a aren't really convenient to meet the 66b on the Lucan road.
    Celbridge is a really good bet if you fancy cycling, there's a route through the grounds of Castletown house. All of Lucan, Leixlip and Maynooth are okay for cycling but not as pleasant as the route through Castletown house, though I think the tow path along the royal canal from Maynooth to Leixlip is currently being upgraded which would make a nice cycle route too (most of the way).
    If you're going further afield on the train lines, stick to the Louisa Bridge line for more frequent trains and shuttle bus connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eoghan101

Anyone still looking for a houseshare for HP?
    I'm due to start next month.

Cheers, Eoghan.
    PM me.

Advertisement