Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a US bank account without a SS# ?

Options
  • 06-09-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Going to be in New York next week, it's going to be the first of many trips over there in the next year.

I won't have a SS number but was thinking it would be better to have a bank account that I can use while there (debit card) & can seed with funds from here on a regular basis.

Is there a bank that will open one without a SS ? If so, what documentation would I need to bring ?

I can provide the address of a business contact if needed, but would be looking at all electronic banking (statements etc).

Am with Ulsterbank here & UK, if they had interests in a US operation that would probably work best.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I've heard on the grapevine that Bank of America are sympathetic to illegal immigrants (I know you're not but they'd face the same problem you do - no SSN). Do you have a permanent address a card etc could be sent to?

I think you may need a ITIN too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I can provide the address of a business contact, what's an ITIN ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Since the Patriot Act came in, banks have strict rules that they are supposed to follow for people wanting to open bank accounts. SSN's, government issued photo ID and proof of address are required for citizens/permanent residents. For non citizens, you also have to show proof that you are entitled to be in the county legally.

If you were over there on a specific visa and you had a stamp on your passport to prove you were in the county legally, you may get a bank to open an account for you, if you can get them to over look the lack of SSN. If you are just going over on the ESTA visa waiver, you could have problems, if you have no actual visa stamp on your passport, as well as no SSN.

If you get a bank employee who is new & doesn't know the rules, or who couldn't be bothered doing things by the book, or one who gets a bonus for every new customer they sign up, you may get lucky. But most of them would do it by the book. They face large fines if they don't & they get caught. Try pounding the pavement and calling into several branches of the various banks and you may get lucky, but its going to be a very long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I opened a bank account here in the US without a SSN but I had to show proof of address - a bill with my name on it - and a photocopy was taken of my passport and attached visa. I'd imagine you'd find it difficult to open a bank account without actually living here tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

We were asked for our Visa and another form of ID (my birth cert worked). They photocopied the visa, the photo page, the entry stamp.

We also had to go back in with our SS as soon as we had it, and were told that if we didn't within 6 weeks, our accounts would be frozen.

This was BoA in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I believe you can open one without a SSN. If I remember correctly I didn't have one at the time as it was pending. Just tell them you haven't yet been able to apply for one. I believe they can "zero" it out. You'll need the usual proof of address etc. Nothing complicated. This was with BoA, if useful to know.

vard wrote: »
    I believe you can open one without a SSN. If I remember correctly I didn't have one at the time as it was pending. Just tell them you haven't yet been able to apply for one. I believe they can "zero" it out. You'll need the usual proof of address etc. Nothing complicated. This was with BoA, if useful to know.

I don't think that your circumstances are the same as the OP's.

If you were in the position of being able to apply for a SSN in the first place, you would have had a visa in your passport allowing you to live/work in the US. You couldn't apply for the SSN if you didn't. Even if the card hadn't arrived in the post yet, you would have had a receipt from the SS administration to show that it was on the way, as well as something in your passport to show the bank that you are entitled to it in the first place. The OP doesn't have any of that.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't think that your circumstances are the same as the OP's.

If you were in the position of being able to apply for a SSN in the first place, you would have had a visa in your passport allowing you to live/work in the US. You couldn't apply for the SSN if you didn't. Even if the card hadn't arrived in the post yet, you would have had a receipt from the SS administration to show that it was on the way, as well as something in your passport to show the bank that you are entitled to it in the first place. The OP doesn't have any of that.

How does that work, does the receipt have the number on it, or is it literally just proof that you've applied?

You'll just be given a receipt that you applied for it. The number won't be issued to you there and then. It is not printed on the receipt either. The social security administration need to verify the applicants immigration status with the USCIS, before they'll issue them a SSN.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You'll just be given a receipt that you applied for it. The number won't be issued to you there and then. It is not printed on the receipt either. The social security administration need to verify the applicants immigration status with the USCIS, before they'll issue them a SSN.

Then I'll get the number, and go in and give it to the bank (advance knowledge before I do my j1 :P)?

Yep. If you have your receipt showing that you applied for your SSN & your passport showing your visa, they may let you open an account there and then. Or they may make you wait until you have the SSN itself. It all depends on the mood of the bank employee you talk to on the day, and/or how strict that bank is on doing things by the book.

Chase will open one with a drivers licence & passport & ther do your debit card there & then.

$12 a month fees unless you keep $1500 in the account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

OU812 wrote: »
    Chase will open one with a drivers licence & passport & ther do your debit card there & then.

$12 a month fees unless you keep $1500 in the account

you will need a US license, they won't accept an out of state license, far less a foreign one.

^ took my Irish one (with Irish passport) no problem. Just done it.

Advertisement