Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media - Name and Shame

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭wired117

Yep, on tip of his tongue to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The worthiness of any article is not a consideration, it is all about the narrative, which involves mentioning even a hint of Gangland/Social Deprivation/Crime etc etc as often as possible...the story from todays indo was their most prominent story from yesterdays budget, it was top of page from morning until this evening...

Another beauty from the Sunday World

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/crime-desk/mobster-john-dundon-in-prison-drug-dealing-bid

And in other news Paul Williams will be in Limerick soon signing his new book on Limerick crime.

This assault is continuing unabated and needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

And in other news Paul Williams will be in Limerick soon signing his new book on Limerick crime.

This assault is continuing unabated and needs to be addressed.

There's your chance to go in and address it.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think you should stop reading the Sunday World

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think you should stop reading the Sunday World

I am attempting to highlight the peculiar relationship the national media has with this city, it may well be a pointless endeavor but I believe it is necessary, the Sunday world is part of the national press as is The Indo/RTE/Pheonix Magazine/Irish Mirror all of whom I have mentioned on this thread.

I will say it again, I'd love if this thread died a death, but unfortunately every week there are at least one if not a few pointless damaging stories/quips etc.

If anyone needs to understand why a large percentage (albeit a decreasing percentage) of Irish people deem it perfectly appropriate to call Limerick Stab or insult the city in any numbers of ways then they only need to go through this thread.

• Advertisement

Good news story for Limerick, headline does not highlight limerick when every effort is taken to do that normally!! http://m.independent.ie/business/gencell-biosystems-irish-medical-firm-sold-for-150m-30668513.html

wired117 wrote: »
    Good news story for Limerick, headline does not highlight limerick when every effort is taken to do that normally!! http://m.independent.ie/business/gencell-biosystems-irish-medical-firm-sold-for-150m-30668513.html

The fact it's in Limerick isn't the most important point of the article. Its in the sub heading though.

But maybe they could have used: "Limerick based medical firm sold for $150m"

Back in the headlines again today.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/crime-desk/investigations/living-a-wife-of-crime

Incidentally TG4 broadcast a documentary about LCOC last night (Imeall it is on their player) well worth a watch. To be fair, TG4 have always portrayed the best of this city, fair play, that documentary last night was very well made well worth a watch. They are of course based in Co Galway.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/crime-desk/investigations/living-a-wife-of-crime

Incidentally TG4 broadcast a documentary about LCOC last night (Imeall it is on their player) well worth a watch. To be fair, TG4 have always portrayed the best of this city, fair play, that documentary last night was very well made well worth a watch. They are of course based in Co Galway.

Seriously, why are you even reading that sh*t. That's ten minutes I'll never get back.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Seriously, why are you even reading that sh*t. That's ten minutes I'll never get back.

See post no 66. And I don't want to brag but it didn't take me 10 minutes to read it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's as much to do with Dublin as Limerick.

You really need to stop reading that ****e too. The Sunday World, and all the other tabloids, don't care for the truth in anyway. They just want glamorous/shocking headlines.

That's as much to do with Dublin as Limerick.

You really need to stop reading that ****e too. The Sunday World, and all the other tabloids, don't care for the truth in anyway. They just want glamorous/shocking headlines.

For the record, there is very little Irish media that I have any faith in, tabloid or otherwise, I read that muck as I have committed to highlighting the narrative that is damaging the city.

And you are of course right, Dublin is given half the article but Dublin does not suffer from an image problem that is costing the city money, we do, plus it has been 4 years since there was any serious gangland incidents in Limerick...but as the links I have highlighted prove, the Irish media (that part of the Irish media who are based in Dublin) seem hellbent on continuing to portray the ugliest facet of this city, to our great cost.

Also, it should be pointed out that I recognise that the people of Dublin are a completely separate entity to the media that happens to be based there, indeed the online media based in Dublin have been refreshing in their treatment of this city....as are several Dublin media commentators such as David McWilliams/Donald Clarke (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hats-off-to-the-garda%C3%AD-of-limerick-who-have-raised-the-rainbow-flag-1.1912158)

John Gilligan was big news too recently though and it's been ages since he committed a crime. Even when these scummers make court appearances it's big news, they don't have to commit crimes.

Martin Foley is still getting headlines too.

Almost made a week without a non story.

http://www.sundayworld.com/

Another John Dundon special. It's behind a paywall.

It's averaging at a non story every week in the this title, the 2nd most popular newspaper in the country, owned by INM, who also print the Irish Independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

€10 off your shopping voucher in Lidl this week in Sunday world! Only reason I'd buy it,
    so I'll have a good read of all the scandal and sure you have to have something to light the fire with!

And another piece in todays Irish Times, just a timely reminder of Gangland Limerick, putting it on the same pedestal as Dublins Gangland issues, not mentioning the several hundred unsolved murders in the capital.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/crime-rise-downside-of-the-upturn-1.1975911?page=1

Awful ****e history piece, why do they pedal this.

That's a positive article though
    In Limerick almost all of the main players in the McCarthy-Dundon gang are in jail, and several key people who belonged to the rival Keane-Collopy gang are either in prison or dead. The Limerick feud killings have stopped.

It's the only positive line in a 3 page piece. It's at the end, an afterthought. These guys know what they are doing, it is that subtle. Regurgitate all the old nonsense and then add in a line...the only context Limerick gangland crime should be mentioned in is the spectacular success of the local garda force in dealing with an issue, a case study on how to deal with the problem and the tremendous positive effect on the city.

That article does not articulate that, the narrative is the same. This is the nations newspaper of record...nearly 5 years since the last serious gangland incident, tho you'd never believe that if you consumed Irish media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Almost made a week without a non story.

Another John Dundon special. It's behind a paywall.

It's averaging at a non story every week in the this title, the 2nd most popular newspaper in the country, owned by INM, who also print the Irish Independent.

John always was the funny man of the family..They should do a prison documentary "Life inside with the Dundons".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I thought this was a lovely story.Limerick is a beautiful city and the safest major city in the country and it's outrageous that these rags continually run it's name and reputation through the muck and dirt.As predicted there was nothing in any national paper about the fact that Limerick fared out best in the Irish tourist boards stats with regards to tourists personal safety.Thankfully those of us that matter know what a crock of sh!t this notion their peddling of Limerick being some sort of social armageddon really is.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/limerick-tea-towel-celebrates-a-city-often-hung-out-to-dry-1-6378102

wired117 wrote: »

Well I'll be damned!!! Who knows maybe after nearly 5 years of gangland "peace" the rest of the Traditional Irish Media body might back off...there are much bigger fish to fry in this country...there always was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The trading of illegal drugs continues unabated.Gang violence is an inevitable consequence of this trade.It's becoming apparent that the new generation of "drug" criminals are more ruthless and have a far greater propensity toward violence than their notorious predecessors. This is now clearly evident in Dublin and Cork cities. Limerick will surely follow suit.
    Media coverage of drug/gun crime in this country is,in my opinion,largely unbiased,balanced,informative and appropriate.Good journalism should always serve as a means of uncovering wrongdoing in society. The likes of Guerin and Williams and many others,north and south of the border,have done Ireland a great service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

chicorytip wrote: »
    The trading of illegal drugs continues unabated.Gang violence is an inevitable consequence of this trade.It's becoming apparent that the new generation of "drug" criminals are more ruthless and have a far greater propensity toward violence than their notorious predecessors. This is now clearly evident in Dublin and Cork cities. Limerick will surely follow suit.
    Media coverage of drug/gun crime in this country is,in my opinion,largely unbiased,balanced,informative and appropriate.Good journalism should always serve as a means of uncovering wrongdoing in society. The likes of Guerin and Williams and many others,north and south of the border,have done Ireland a great service.

Couldn't disagree more. We don't have good journalism here. For the most part we have fairly limited journalists sensationalising and building up these criminals in an effort to sell newspapers. Arguably, certain elements of the media are a big part of the problem, especially the likes of Paul Williams. What is certain is that Limerick has not been served well by good journalism. Any reasoned analysis will show that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

zulutango wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. We don't have good journalism here. For the most part we have fairly limited journalists sensationalising and building up these criminals in an effort to sell newspapers. Arguably, certain elements of the media are a big part of the problem, especially the likes of Paul Williams. What is certain is that Limerick has not been served well by good journalism. Any reasoned analysis will show that.
    What is certain is that Limerick has never
    been well served by certain members of it's elected political class whose invariable overreaction to any perceived
    slight on the city's image or reputation creates further negative connotations in the minds of the less well informed members of the general public.

chicorytip wrote: »
    What is certain is that Limerick has never
    been well served by certain members of it's elected political class whose invariable overreaction to any perceived
    slight on the city's image or reputation creates further negative connotations in the minds of the less well informed members of the general public.

I would agree that we are served poorly by both our media and our political class. Sometimes I don't know which is worse.

this weeks serving

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/pictured-fugitive-dundon-sisters-fun-4555803

They are certainly adding up, these stories.

The Indo are doing a county by county analysis of crime (i.e. sensationalist, scare-mongering crap) in Ireland on Saturday.

Brace yourselves ...

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    The Indo are doing a county by county analysis of crime (i.e. sensationalist, scare-mongering crap) in Ireland on Saturday.

Brace yourselves ...

Jesus....the last time the Indo juked the stats they labelled us "The Murder Capital of Europe"...I mean as if Stab City wasn't bad enough....

I wonder will they be including April Collins attending a parade as a crime? It was all over their newsfeed....

Advertisement