Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media - Name and Shame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Paul Williams will be discussing Limerick's Murderous Gangs on the Late Late Show tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Oh great, Tubridy just announced that he will have Paul Williams on the Late Late show to talk about the murderous gangs of Limerick.

I'll be too scared to do the soccer run in the morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭wired117

What an absolute disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

with any luck he'll be the last item on and 90% of the viewers will have fallen asleep!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Paul Williams will be discussing Limerick's Murderous Gangs on the Late Late Show tonight.

Paul Williams has a book out at the moment about the Dundon McCarthy and Keane Callopy gangs.

• Advertisement

RTE have done more damage to Limerick than the Dundons have done and we pay a TV licence to that shower.

This is a hatchet job on Limerick City. The latest in a long line of hatchet jobs.

There are over a dozen more vicious gangland feuds in Dublin....none of those should be discussed on the Late Late Show, neither should this one.

He mentioned a ten year war....Limerick's name has been dragged through the mud for over 30 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

This really is taking the piss now to be honest. There hasn't been a gang related murder in Limerick in over 5 years. Yet we get a prime time discussion with an introduction mentioning 20 murders in Limerick FFS!

He's signing books in OMahoney's Limerick tomorrow - I hope he's run out of the place. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Can't believe they're dragging all this stuff up again. Those criminals are locked up..the city has been quiet for a long time yet you constantly hear of shootings in Dublin and there's no discussion on gangland Dublin.

If I was watching this and had never visited Limerick I would never venture to the place...he make's the city sound like a no go area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Dundon scum did exist.

The murders did happen.

The grip they had on the city did exist.

So it is factual and you can't disagree.

They're gone now and it's a good news story now. Good in that the scum got locked up.

You're being too sensitive to not expect this to be talked about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Never watch the LLS.. After tonight I understand why..

Rte's Limerick bashing is borderline pathetic at this stage.

CatFromHue wrote: »

The murders did happen.

They're gone now and it's a good news story now. Good in that the scum got locked up.

Why not talk about the stuff happening right now, in Dublin. There hasn't been a gangland killing in Limerick in 5 years. This has all been discussed over and over yet thanks to this parasite its all back in full media focus. So much for the City of Culture helping to restore the reputation of the city, Paul Williams just dragged it back into the mud and this is going to go on for weeks now as his book gets serialised in the Sunday World.

It's not Limerick bashing!

This happened, you can't brush it under the carpet.

The murders did happen.

The scum still exist in large numbers in Dublin and still active there yet there wasn't a mention.
    They didn't really have a grip on the city as most of the gang activity occurred among themselves..I've never seen gangland activity, been to the areas that were mentioned, been afraid to walk down O'Connell st day or night,go to work or go out on a Saturday night.

These facts have been discussed over and over and over ..there's no need to drag it up again for the sole purpose of selling a book.

The murders did happen.

All of the above is correct, apart from the last line....and it was all covered, in tremedous detail, to the point that everyone in the country knew the names and crimes of Limerick criminals, at the time the crimes occured....5 YEARS AGO....there are over 200 unsolved murders in Dublin, meaning literally dozens and dozens of murderers are still walking the streets of the capital...could they not have talked about that? Shine the light on that one maybe?

The "grip" they had on the city was grossly over exaggerated then...

This was a f@cken disgrace, it was worse than I even expected. They should be ashamed of themselves in RTE, but talentless tv producers and presenters do not normally have the required emotional intelligence to get embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It was a decade ago..why is it relevant to bring it up?..and to hammer home the point it was about crime in Limerick on fb abs twitter..

Noone is attempting to pretend it didn't happen.. But where's the discussion of places full of arguably worse gangs, like yano Dublin! Limerick is the easy target..

Like I don't think it 10 years I've seen a positive spin on Limerick on RTE..

It was never brushed under the carpet!!!!!!! There has been over 10 books published on the topic....probable several hundred news articles...

They just dragged the citys name through the muck on the Late Late Show and you still can't see it? On a thread where I have highlighted a volume of gangland related non stories published over the last three months alone!!!

All reporting on a gangland feud that ended 5 years ago.

I mean, what will it take for you to see it.....less than two months ago RTE admitted publicly that they ignored Royal De Lux on purpose (they admitted that they should have given it more coverage, which is a nicer way of putting it)....since then they have called Limerick a kip on the LLS....and tonight this?

I think you're missing the point. Everyone knows what has happened in Limerick as there are constant reminders. Limerick doesn't get a chance to move on from it's past because of that. When do you hear about gangland Dublin being discussed..as it's still an active ongoing problem. That's the point.

When you compare the situation to Dublin you have to ask how many innocent people with no gangland connections have been shot?

To the best of my knowledge none, I could be wrong on this but I don't remember any.

There is gangland crime in Dublin now, I've no problem admitting that, it is happening.

In fairness the grip they had on the city led to a march by alot of people through the city centre against them. Did they control the city? No. Where most Limerick residents aware of them? Yes.

The other thing to remember is that people have a morbid fascination with criminals that's why The Soprano's, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Love/Hate, etc are so successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Yes, there have been plenty of innocents murdered in Dublin.

Limerick is simply a hobby horse for certain elements of the media. It's a very easy target if you want to sell newspapers.

Truth is that it's got the lowest crime rate of any city in Ireland, but the popular perception is that it has the highest.

When you compare the situation to Dublin you have to ask how many innocent people with no gangland connections have been shot?

To the best of my knowledge none, I could be wrong on this but I don't remember any.

There is gangland crime in Dublin now, I've no problem admitting that, it is happening.

In fairness the grip they had on the city led to a march by alot of people through the city centre against them. Did they control the city? No. Where most Limerick residents aware of them? Yes.

The other thing to remember is that people have a morbid fascination with criminals that's why The Soprano's, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Love/Hate, etc are so successful.

He was 6 years of age but I'd say he was innocent
    http://www.thejournal.ie/child-shooting-dublin-1517075-Jun2014/

Look, I do not want to get dragged into a Dub v Limk argument, that is exactly what they would like, it keeps us all distracted...Dublin is always going to have a more severe gangland issue on account of its size, but the media in this country keep on placing Limerick crime on the same pedestal...giving the false illusion that it is a violent place....this nickname and reputation has gone far beyond this island thanks to the combination of the ferocious media narrative and the gullibility of Irish people.

Our High Court judge, the state pathologist have all recently stated the Limerick does not deserve its reputation....that reputation is generated not by the crime believe it or not...but the reporting of that crime....the over exposure of that crime in the media...

I have been highlighting the peculiar relationship this city has with the national press, and the damage that has done to this citys name....I think tonight is the finest example of that relationship.

Just did a quick google search...this was from the Independent.ie around this time last year 'THREE innocent women were shot when a gunman fired indiscriminately during a botched gangland hit outside a pub after a 21st birthday party in Dublin early today.'

This was something I had never even heard about until I google searched there now. If it was Limerick it would be major news and the whole country would know about it.

Where is the much vaunted 'Limerick Marketing Company' now? Any decent PR firm would be able to tackle this kind of bull****, but what are LMC doing? Absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OuterReach

I have witnessed the anti Limerick sentiment daily from people who have never even been in Limerick, when I ask to inquire as to where this view came from, they always say, I heard\I read about it...and I live n Dublin...Limerick deserves much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭wired117

Now for the phoney crime stats, notice the methodology!!

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/crime-nation-how-safe-is-your-area-30727076.html.

This survey excluded homicides and kidnappings from the calculation of league tables as the incidence of such crime is too small for any significant comparative exercise.

Sexual offences are excluded from the calculation of overall crime levels (together with homicides) as such figures cannot be attributable to individual counties in every instance because some counties share Garda divisions. Because the number of homicides and sexual offences is relatively small compared to the overall number of crimes in each county, their exclusion is unlikely to affect the overall results.

wired117 wrote: »

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/crime-nation-how-safe-is-your-area-30727076.html.

This survey excluded homicides and kidnappings from the calculation of league tables as the incidence of such crime is too small for any significant comparative exercise.

Sexual offences are excluded from the calculation of overall crime levels (together with homicides) as such figures cannot be attributable to individual counties in every instance because some counties share Garda divisions. Because the number of homicides and sexual offences is relatively small compared to the overall number of crimes in each county, their exclusion is unlikely to affect the overall results.

But yet they were happy enough to declare Limerick "The Murder Capital Of Europe" only a few short years ago. A nickname/title even more damaging than Stab City...

The Irish Independent and RTE are the two organisations that have done the most damage to this city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

wired117 wrote: »

According to that article Limerick is indeed, way down the crime figures. But it also shows Limerick has the third highest police numbers. Time to get the knife out?

According to that article Limerick is indeed, way down the crime figures. But it also shows Limerick has the third highest police numbers. Time to get the knife out?

As you'd expect in the third largest urban region in the country.

Gardaí in Limerick, I think, cover parts of Clare and Tipperary too for some functions.

A county by county comparison is actually bollocks though. It makes more sense to compare population centres.

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    Where is the much vaunted 'Limerick Marketing Company' now? Any decent PR firm would be able to tackle this kind of bull****, but what are LMC doing? Absolutely nothing.

Sitting on their holes reading copies of Hello magazine.

Advertisement