Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media - Name and Shame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Pretty much every media organisation that is reporting on the alleged assault by Dolores O'Riordan on a flight from New York to Shannon this morning is describing her as 'the Limerick born singer'. Apparently being from Limerick is relevant to the story.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You sound paranoid at this stage. The incident happened near Shannon airport as she was on her way to this city. What else were they going to say? You'd have as much of a point if you said the media was biased against cranberries.

An File wrote: »
    You sound paranoid at this stage. The incident happened near Shannon airport as she was on her way to this city. What else were they going to say? You'd have as much of a point if you said the media was biased against cranberries.

eh, no, not really.

It is newsworthy that she is the lead singer of The Cranberries. That she's from Limerick shouldn't be in the slightest bit newsworthy to media outlets outside Limerick.

It's fairly straight forward point. Not paranoia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There was always a high probability that the international star that this happened to was from Limerick, lets face no other irish city produces as many international stars as we do...unlike a number of her peers in limerick she never won a A Grammy, or an Oscar, or a Pulitzer...she is the most successful Irish female rock artist...a talented individual...but in Limerick I'm afraid her success is only mid table.

When you are the country's most prolific cultural engine things like this will happen....lets be brutally honest, she was never going to be from Galway...there I said it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

The story is certainly drawing out the usual stab jokes on boards and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The story is certainly drawing out the usual stab jokes on boards and elsewhere.

I'm reporting any stab jokes I find on Boards. Others should make the same effort. It's a stupid, obsolete, lazy stereotype and adds nothing to any discussion.

The Irish media who convinced everyone that it is perfectly ok to call Limerick Stab City assumed we are all idiots...these guys are simply proving them right....it's always the problem with idiots, they are the last to cop on.

Nevermind, Limerick will just keep doing what Limerick does, as we say here "F@ck em all"....introducing Limericks latest international effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dAFbpk9_GM

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

The siege mentality that exists among Limerick people would put the Orangemen in Northern Ireland to shame.

When is Limerick going to shake off the shackles of being considered Ireland's "Cinderella City"? It's the jaded and tiresome refrain of "no body likes us" and "the whole world's against us" that really pisses me off.

I hear it every time I come home, even from my own family. Go get a life for yourselves and stop whinging and playing the bloody martyr all the time.

The siege mentality that exists among Limerick people would put the Orangemen in Northern Ireland to shame.

When is Limerick going to shake off the shackles of being considered Ireland's "Cinderella City"? It's the jaded and tiresome refrain of "no body likes us" and "the whole world's against us" that really pisses me off.

I hear it every time I come home, even from my own family. Go get a life for yourselves and stop whinging and playing the bloody martyr all the time.

That statement there has more meat on the bone that most meaningless cliches like "chip on the shoulder" or "persecution complex"...because when do people adopt a siege mentality...when they are under siege of some sort...

I'll stop this siege mentality when Limerick people can move around this country, or indeed any country and not get insulted or confronted with that nickname because of where we are from....it has gone on too long...

You can also see it on online forums and news sites it is derogatory and constant...it is gone global....only recently it was mentioed on US television...it's done untold damage. It is not in our imagination, and anybody who thinks it is is in denial.

I think you have it back to front. We want to shake off the shackles but we're not being let! It's not us giving ourselves the label.

So, no, nobody is playing the martyr. It's just that the false narrative about Limerick is peddled constantly in national media is causing great damage.

• Advertisement

The Irish Times announcing their Love/Hate quiz on Facebook a short while ago with the following line.

"How many Love/Hate characters were killed in Series 5? What Irish town did Nidge describe as a "kip" in series four?"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/weekly-quiz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Media in Ireland are trying to copy the UK. London media loves to have a pop at Liverpool, our idiots in Dublin with no originality try the same with Limerick. I don't buy these rags, and I'm annoyed with Rabbitte bringing in a household charge forcing people to pay for RTE, no wonder the muppet got sacked.

zulutango wrote: »
    The Irish Times announcing their Love/Hate quiz on Facebook a short while ago with the following line.

"How many Love/Hate characters were killed in Series 5? What Irish town did Nidge describe as a "kip" in series four?"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/weekly-quiz

And people think we are paranoid...

This is the Irish Times.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Media in Ireland are trying to copy the UK. London media loves to have a pop at Liverpool, our idiots in Dublin with no originality try the same with Limerick. I don't buy these rags, and I'm annoyed with Rabbitte bringing in a household charge forcing people to pay for RTE, no wonder the muppet got sacked.

The only difference being that Liverpool has not been given a damaging nickname...it is also the size of Dublin therefore it does not define Liverpool (another great city to go out in too)....like everything else in Ireland we have gone too far...

I think this is the kind of thing the elusive Limerick Marketing Company should be tackling head on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

An File wrote: »
    I'm reporting any stab jokes I find on Boards. Others should make the same effort. It's a stupid, obsolete, lazy stereotype and adds nothing to any discussion.

I did...offending posts still up. Doubt any action will be taken.

I did...offending posts still up. Doubt any action will be taken.

We should start a thread about the amount of threads that mention stab city...I'm kidding...altho does it merit a discussion, I know that there are some forums where usage of certain words is banned...is it this serious an issue on Boards? (and I am aware that the same ban would apply to me)

How do you report a post...sorry I just got it.

How do you report a post.

Click on the report.gif button next to the offending post and leave a short explanation in the message box.

It'll look like this on the touch site: report.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

wired117 wrote: »
    Another murder in Dublin, http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/murder-probe-after-body-of-missing-dad-stephen-33-found-in-river-30731444.html

And yes an air rage incident headline tops the bill..mission accomplished!!

Did you even read the story?
    It has nothing to do with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭wired117

My bad..deleted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pretty much every media organisation that is reporting on the alleged assault by Dolores O'Riordan on a flight from New York to Shannon this morning is describing her as 'the Limerick born singer'. Apparently being from Limerick is relevant to the story.

It's fairly common to say where the person is from when something like this happens.

In some cases they even say the road address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Well the Indo are getting their 3rd day out of Delores

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/face-of-flight-attendant-injured-following-alleged-air-rage-incident-with-dolores-oriordan-30738520.html

It is a bit much, I mean is it more serious because the flight attendant was a charity collecting marathon runner.

Its a good job no one got a video of it, RTE would feel it in the national interest to run it 50 times.

It does seem that being from Limerick hasn't helped her. Anybody with an ounce of decency would leave her in peace, let the law decide what to do next. The Cranberries were never the darlings of the Irish press anyhow, didn't stop them tho...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's stupid equating the press Delores is getting is to do with her being from Limerick.

You think if Bono, Ronan Keating, your man from Westlife, or Sinead O'Connor did the same that the press would pay little or no attention?

Like **** they would.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's stupid equating the press Delores is getting is to do with her being from Limerick.

You think if Bono, Ronan Keating, your man from Westlife, or Sinead O'Connor did the same that the press would pay little or no attention?

Like **** they would.

That's not really the issue though.

I think that the story is newsworthy. That's fair enough.

The issue is that she is continuously described as "Limerick born" in every outlet, or at least she was in the initial reporting of the story. I haven't read anything about it since though. You could put it down to every media organisation in the country innocently informing their readership/viewership of a basic fact about Dolores O'Riordan, however irrelevant it might be, or you could take a more cynical view and suggest that tagging "Limerick" onto a story helps to sensationalise it.

Like **** they would.

They are milking it, I mean I have often heard of these incidents but I have never heard such detail into the perceived victims life, it is not necessary...there is a common denominator with all Limerick incidents, they all get maximum exposure.

We will not always be right and not always be wrong, it is a shame that this thread evens exists, but it is necessary...

By all means disagree with the points being made but please note that I haven't insulted anybodies argument...

That's not really the issue though.

I think that the story is newsworthy. That's fair enough.

The issue is that she is continuously described as "Limerick born" in every outlet, or at least she was in the initial reporting of the story. I haven't read anything about it since though. You could put it down to every media organisation in the country innocently informing their readership/viewership of a basic fact about Dolores O'Riordan, however irrelevant it might be, or you could take a more cynical view and suggest that tagging "Limerick" onto a story helps to sensationalise it.

I was watching the 6pm news in RTE and I don't think they mentioned much about her being from Limerick.

Either way it is standard practice to say where such and such a person is from. It's not the media having a go at Limerick here.
    They are milking it, I mean I have often heard of these incidents but I have never heard such detail into the perceived victims life, it is not necessary...there is a common denominator with all Limerick incidents, they all get maximum exposure.

We will not always be right and not always be wrong, it is a shame that this thread evens exists, but it is necessary...

By all means disagree with the points being made but please note that I haven't insulted anybodies argument...

That's fair enough I shouldn't have been so harsh but I don't think they're milking it, or no more than usual, nor are they milking the Limerick aspect.

I think you perceive any reporting of problems/gangs/anti social behaviour of Limerick to be an attack on the place which isn't true.

Gangs and crime catch peoples interest as you can see from Love/Hate being so popular. Is Love/Hate an attack on Dublin? No, though there are some very rough areas here.

I was watching the 6pm news in RTE and I don't think they mentioned much about her being from Limerick.

Either way it is standard practice to say where such and such a person is from. It's not the media having a go at Limerick here.

That's fair enough I shouldn't have been so harsh but I don't think they're milking it, or no more than usual, nor are they milking the Limerick aspect.

I think you perceive any reporting of problems/gangs/anti social behaviour of Limerick to be an attack on the place which isn't true.

Gangs and crime catch peoples interest as you can see from Love/Hate being so popular. Is Love/Hate an attack on Dublin? No, though there are some very rough areas here.

You might well be correct about some Limerick people, like me, and I am not at all in the majority nor do I claim to be, who are over sensitive and perceiving every article as an attack.

You must understand where this is all coming from. Being from Limerick we are only too well aware of how Irish people perceive Limerick people, we are confronted everytime we answer the question "Where are you from?", a question all Irish people are obsessed with, at this point we brace ourselves for the insult...and go "Limerick"...and in a significant amount of occasions we are then asked things such as "You're not going to stab me now are you?" or "We better hide the knives" etc etc....we even get this abroad....this got mentioned on US television only two weeks ago...it is in my opinion insulting, it also is economically damaging to the city....who is going to visit Stab City?

Dublin people or anyone else do not have to face that nonsense. Nor should they, nor should we.

The Irish media (excluding TNG and Irish Examiner) have pursued one narrative and one narrative only over a very long period of time, that narrative has influenced Irish people to the point where they think nothing of insulting us or warning as many foreigners both here and abroad to stay well clear of the place...it has become normalized to do so, albeit in decreasing numbers. This is all true.

That narrative is a wild over exaggeration of one aspect of this unique city, it is the smallest aspect of this city, it does not impact on the lives of ordinary Limerick people in any way shape or form.

The city has overacheived in the world of rugby, culture, literature, arts, music and comedy and indeed business, it is a politically engaged city, two political parties were forged here in the 80s alone, the Limerick Soviet is an event that all Irish people should know about, the seiges of Limerick were so important the eyes of Europe were once set on this little city of ours in the West coast of Ireland. This is all true.

The more you get to know of this city the more mystifying that warped perception of Limerick becomes...at which point you start questioning everytime the city is mentioned in the press...it is actually stressful to bring anger on oneself and not at all healthy and none of us even want to having this discussion over and over and over again...but we are powerless to stop it...the Irish media have way more power over Irish people than Limerick people do... the city has tried everything, employing people to engage with journalists, we even got to address a NUJ conference about how we were being treated in the press...a few weeks later we were declared "The murder Capital of Europe"...

Roll on LCOC...an attempt to rebrand the city, completely discredited by the Irish media back in January over an incident at boardroom level, such boardroom incidents are a common denominator on all these City of Culture ventures, but ours had to get 10days round the clock coverage.

I picked up this thread on the weekend of Royal De Lux, an emotional event for the city that the Irish press ignored by and large, they couldn't bring themselves to ignore the incident in January. Since then, only two short months ago, I have linked over 25 non stories, I have ignored other stories that were reporting actual incidents, the Irish Indo has declared that the Dundon feud has been reignited which is and was a complete fabrication, the Irish Times has regurgitated the old feud and RTE has chosen the Late Late Show to take yet an opportunity to regurgitate that very same nonsense...it is clear that the Irish media will not play their part in the rebranding of that city, therefore the likelihood that warped perception will continue for a few more years at least...

Forgive me, and those who agree with me for being oversensitive, like I said, I would much rather this wasn't even an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

This thread is just silly. It's like a bunch of bald men arguing over a comb. The fact that Dolores O'Riordan is from Limerick is something to be proud of, not ashamed of. So what if she acted like a spoilt child on a plane? She's a celebrity and has a sense of entitlement. Big deal.

Limerick had a major crime problem which is over. Funny thing is I remember people going on about how it was all the media's fault back then too. The guards solved the problem by arresting people, but it wasn't journalists they locked up.

Let's focus on what's positive about the city on this forum instead of wallowing in victimhood and thinking everyone is out to get us. Remember, Paul Williams won't get another book out of us; he's already writing in the past tense about the gangs. The rest of the media circus will move on in time. We should lead, not follow.

Advertisement