Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media - Name and Shame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This thread is just silly. It's like a bunch of bald men arguing over a comb. The fact that Dolores O'Riordan is from Limerick is something to be proud of, not ashamed of. So what if she acted like a spoilt child on a plane? She's a celebrity and has a sense of entitlement. Big deal.

Limerick had a major crime problem which is over. Funny thing is I remember people going on about how it was all the media's fault back then too. The guards solved the problem by arresting people, but it wasn't journalists they locked up.

Let's focus on what's positive about the city on this forum instead of wallowing in victimhood and thinking everyone is out to get us. Remember, Paul Williams won't get another book out of us; he's already writing in the past tense about the gangs. The rest of the media circus will move on in time. We should lead, not follow.

You're right about one thing it is silly. We shouldn't have to resort to this. I did say it not something I wanted to do...feel free to ignore the thread

I though the media circus would move on as well....5 years ago...

Interesting piece in today's Examiner...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsfilmtv/when-all-the-city-is-a-stage-297344.html

Should be an interesting event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

They vote for Willie O Dea in record numbers. That says enough about Limerick to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

They vote for Willie O Dea in record numbers. That says enough about Limerick to me.
    And who voted for Bertie Ahern, Charlie Haughey, Ray Burke, etc, etc, etc??

rebs23 wrote: »

Which raises an interesting point.

Who would have voted for FF if the Irish media damaged the FF brand as much as they damaged Limericks...

At the bottom of my issue with Irish media, is a much deeper widespread problem, it is not in a healthy place...they played a massive role in the inflation and collapse of the Irish economy....they have never been held to account. The Limerick narrative is only one of dozens and dozens of damaging narratives that are currently being pursued.

• Advertisement

Which raises an interesting point.

Who would have voted for FF if the Irish media damaged the FF brand as much as they damaged Limericks...

At the bottom of my issue with Irish media, is a much deeper widespread problem, it is not in a healthy place...they played a massive role in the inflation and collapse of the Irish economy....they have never been held to account. The Limerick narrative is only one of dozens and dozens of damaging narratives that are currently being pursued.

In fairness though this narrative which you allege about Limerick is really a symptom of the absolute disdain certain sections of the media have for anywhere outside of Dublin.
    They simply are not interested in any good news stories outside of Dublin. RTE 6.1 news is the best example where the science reporters or other sectional reporters only report on stories in Dublin. A tiddly winks competition in Dublin would get more coverage than a major cultural event in other parts of the country (with the exception of Galway which gets coverage for anything they hold).
    The so called comedy programmes have sketches where suddenly it is the politicians down the country with their funny accents are responsible for the brown envelope type politics when in fact it was the absolute corruption within Dublin Political and Administrative circles that brought the country to its knees.
    They ignore the fact that the sectors of the economy (export lead) which helped to significantly drag this country out of the recession (caused by a small cartel of decision makers in Dublin all agreeing with each other) are largely based outside of Dublin.
    Another example is a recent article I read on the history of the Irish Dance scene which completely ignored the fact that Dublin was years behind some parts of the country in this area. They simply didn't mention anything outside of Dublin and honestly believe that if it didn't happen in Dublin it didn't happen in Ireland.
    They honestly do not understand that their is life, creativity, culture and an economy that exists in other parts of this country.
    The levels of ignorance and parochial bull**** that spins from certain quarters in Dublin is mind boggling.

PS. I am not from Limerick, I stumbled on this thread by accident but really this is not just a Limerick issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

In relation to comparisons between Dolores and Bono...am I the only one who would think it odd to see Bono repeatedly referred to as 'the Dublin born singer'

And if you look at the thread on Dolores in AH or articles on the Indo and the Journal there most certainly was an anti-Linerick tone to the comments - the usual stab jokes included.

In fairness though this narrative which you allege about Limerick is really a symptom of the absolute disdain certain sections of the media have for anywhere outside of Dublin.
    They simply are not interested in any good news stories outside of Dublin. RTE 6.1 news is the best example where the science reporters or other sectional reporters only report on stories in Dublin. A tiddly winks competition in Dublin would get more coverage than a major cultural event in other parts of the country (with the exception of Galway which gets coverage for anything they hold).
    The so called comedy programmes have sketches where suddenly it is the politicians down the country with their funny accents are responsible for the brown envelope type politics when in fact it was the absolute corruption within Dublin Political and Administrative circles that brought the country to its knees.
    They ignore the fact that the sectors of the economy (export lead) which helped to significantly drag this country out of the recession (caused by a small cartel of decision makers in Dublin all agreeing with each other) are largely based outside of Dublin.
    Another example is a recent article I read on the history of the Irish Dance scene which completely ignored the fact that Dublin was years behind some parts of the country in this area. They simply didn't mention anything outside of Dublin and honestly believe that if it didn't happen in Dublin it didn't happen in Ireland.
    They honestly do not understand that their is life, creativity, culture and an economy that exists in other parts of this country.
    The levels of ignorance and parochial bull**** that spins from certain quarters in Dublin is mind boggling.

PS. I am not from Limerick, I stumbled on this thread by accident but really this is not just a Limerick issue.

You do raise some very interesting points. I can't argue with with any of them, not that it matters much but it will be interesting how this whole 2016 (100 years anniversary of the Easter Rising) will be presented to the country.

I didn't even think about those export led companies you mentioned but you are spot on. It is important not to isolate the ordinary Dublin folk (not that you were) it is our system of centralised power in the financial/political/government/media that is actually holding the nation back, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And if you look at the thread on Dolores in AH or articles on the Indo and the Journal there most certainly was an anti-Linerick tone to the comments - the usual stab jokes included.

Read the comments section on any blog/news website, on almost any article, and you'll have a majority of trolls, bigots and idiots. At this stage I've taught myself to stop scrolling beyond the end of closing paragraphs. What follows is nearly always designed to just piss people off.

It is important not to isolate the ordinary Dublin folk (not that you were) it is our system of centralised power in the financial/political/government/media that is actually holding the nation back, in my opinion.
    I love Dublin, think it is a great place, love the people, etc but it is the centralised system of decision making and commentary that is biased against the rest of Ireland that is the problem for the rest of us attempting to secure investment.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Read the comments section on any blog/news website, on almost any article, and you'll have a majority of trolls, bigots and idiots. At this stage I've taught myself to stop scrolling beyond the end of closing paragraphs. What follows is nearly always designed to just piss people off.

True but those stab comments are all too commonly dropped whenever Limerick gets mentioned - including everyday conversations. Hell I got a stab city remark in a bar when I was over in America once. It wasn't even from an Irish American or said in an Irish bar - it was a Native American and I was in the arse end of Colorado!

True but those stab comments are all too commonly dropped whenever Limerick gets mentioned - including everyday conversations. Hell I got a stab city remark in a bar when I was over in America once. It wasn't even from an Irish American or said in an Irish bar - it was a Native American and I was in the arse end of Colorado!

That kind of nonsense is thrown at Limerick people all over the world, I can't explain how that happened, I know of Irish Americans who's get it cause their grand parents are from Limerick...

It reminds me one time of meeting a chap from Belfast during the height of the troubles in the early 1990s, in the flow of conversation I asked had he ever been to Limerick and he was shocked that I would ask that question..."Limerick" he says..."I wouldn't be brave enough" (or words to that effect)...that was the early 90s....mad stuff.

I don't think it is wallowing in victimization to discuss this for the record, it doesn't affect people on an individual level, it is at community level or city level where the effects become slightly more evident.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Nationwide lives up to its name if you ask me.

As for the news what stories did they not cover which they should have?

CatFromHue wrote: »

Recently they ignored the Water Protests until the massive march in Dublin meant they simply couldn't any further.

They have never covered the Ballyyea Protest, where people from that small North Cork village ran a very dignified protest every week against the bailout of bondholders, a legitimate protest. Despite several international tv stations doing a bit on them.

Google Joe McAnthony journalist, then read Tom Gilmartins and Des O'Malleys book... be prepared it is not pleasant reading.

Nationwide is not the news. As one example there is thread in this forum somewhere about the lack of coverage from RTE over visit of the Giant Granny.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/giant-gran-should-have-got-more-coverage-admits-rte-30575339.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Recently they ignored the Water Protests until the massive march in Dublin meant they simply couldn't any further.

They have never covered the Ballyyea Protest, where people from that small North Cork village ran a very dignified protest every week against the bailout of bondholders, a legitimate protest. Despite several international tv stations doing a bit on them.

Google Joe McAnthony journalist, then read Tom Gilmartins and Des O'Malleys book... be prepared it is not pleasant reading.

The first protests against the water meters I saw on RTE where from Cork, along time before anything in Dublin.

I don't know what to say about Ballyhea. If you're going to protest you need to do it somewhere other than a small country town for it to be of any use. Also it's on RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0127/364757-ballyhea-protest/

Are Joe McAnthony and Gilmartin more about corruption then RTE being Dublin centric? I don't know myself as I haven't read Gilmartin's book yet but know loosely it was to do with planning.

I'll have to come back to you about O'Malley's book too.

Nationwide is not the news. As one example there is thread in this forum somewhere about the lack of coverage from RTE over visit of the Giant Granny.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/giant-gran-should-have-got-more-coverage-admits-rte-30575339.html

I thought I saw this on the news, could be wrong though.

Nationwide isn't the news that's right but it is a flag ship RTE program.

The first protests against the water meters I saw on RTE where from Cork, along time before anything in Dublin.

I don't know what to say about Ballyhea. If you're going to protest you need to do it somewhere other than a small country town for it to be of any use. Also it's on RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0127/364757-ballyhea-protest/

Are Joe McAnthony and Gilmartin more about corruption then RTE being Dublin centric? I don't know myself as I haven't read Gilmartin's book yet but know loosely it was to do with planning.

I'll have to come back to you about O'Malley's book too.

My point is that there was an awful lot of meaty topical events that our mainstream press, have either ignored or barely touched upon, those books I mentioned are only two cans of worms. Both well written.

I think the Dubs don't realise the influence it has over the rest of the island, it dominates the media environment (in terms of numbers employed) ie there are approx 5,500 people working in Dublin in media, approx 300-400 in Cork, I don't know what the figure is in Limerick...there is no way it couldn't be Dublin centric....nationwide is where we all get thrown a bone but the audience is tiny. I think both Cork and Waterford have real valid issues with media exposure also, Cork in particular, it is the countries 2nd city and it is hard to see how this is reflected in national media.

I suppose, maybe RTE should have made Love/Hate a Limerick show instead of a Dublin one :D

Can of Worms well and truely open now :P

I don't know what you mean by the numbers working in media as RTE is the biggest media outlet in Ireland as are the Indo and the Times.

Alot of national events (The Dail, Seanad) exist in Dublin so the story will also be based in Dublin, even if it is actually a national topic.

For example the Web Summit is that considered a Dublin only event or a National event? It was based in Dublin so may appear to be Dublin only but was actually an international event.

Twenty two wrongs doesnt make a right.:pac:

Bertie etc are all out on their arses right now . Willie O dea isnt ...

• Advertisement

I suppose, maybe RTE should have made Love/Hate a Limerick show instead of a Dublin one :D

Can of Worms well and truely open now :P

I don't know what you mean by the numbers working in media as RTE is the biggest media outlet in Ireland as are the Indo and the Times.

Alot of national events (The Dail, Seanad) exist in Dublin so the story will also be based in Dublin, even if it is actually a national topic.

For example the Web Summit is that considered a Dublin only event or a National event? It was based in Dublin so may appear to be Dublin only but was actually an international event.

What I mean is that, as the national broadcaster, would it be a bad idea to break up the 4,000 people who work in RTE into the different cities. So the documentary/current affairs dept would be in a regional city, away from the temptation of political influence...remember that a lot of RTE's work is completed by outside firms so it will not affect the quality, very quickly Dublin bias could be eradicated if the will was there, bringing jobs to other cities and deflating the wage requirement of attracting workers to the expensive Donnybrook/Montose area, we shouldn't see the nepotism levels that we are currently seeing in RTE. So all in all a better bang for our buck.

What I mean is that, as the national broadcaster, would it be a bad idea to break up the 4,000 people who work in RTE into the different cities. So the documentary/current affairs dept would be in a regional city, away from the temptation of political influence...remember that a lot of RTE's work is completed by outside firms so it will not affect the quality, very quickly Dublin bias could be eradicated if the will was there, bringing jobs to other cities and deflating the wage requirement of attracting workers to the expensive Donnybrook/Montose area, we shouldn't see the nepotism levels that we are currently seeing in RTE. So all in all a better bang for our buck.

I think thats an excellent idea. And I am a Dub through and through.

I also think Montrose should be sold to developers for a couple of billion. Dublin 4 land next to UCD , next to the embassy belt and Shrewsbury Road etc is some of the most valuable and highest demand in the country. After using the profits to build a state of the art station outside of the m50 at an intersection of Luas, train and road links or even building on much much cheaper land somewhere more central and accessible for the whole country which needs government jobs like Portlaoise , the significant amount of money remaining can go back into the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭wired117

Another sindo article on Dolores..yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That was one heck of a bizarre article.

I gotta a look through two papers today, Indo and Sunday World. I'm no longer going to post links to Limerick based stories, I think the thread has made it's point, I didn't think it was bad as it is but in three months we have seen all newspapers and RTE chipping in, twice I've seen a Limerick mob war declared, but Irish media is descending into a farce at this stage...it must be a depressing place to work.

We don't want to hear about Delores/Roy/Twink/Love Hate/Gerry Adams just because they present those people to us doesn't make it right.

It has been a great year to challenge perceptions, you're/my own included, at times I thought it necessary to highlight the aspects of the city that should have been amplified to the nation, this (or even my style)can be annoying or antagonistic for some, but it is at the root of some real local issues...if you didn't read the link I posted a few posts back do ( http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsfilmtv/when-all-the-city-is-a-stage-297344.html ), it covers some interesting points about the city, if I had advice to a young fella starting out who can't find work I'd say start something yourself, this city is about to bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Any thoughts on the local media?

They national press often get their cue from the likes of the Limerick Leader and Limerick Post. There are some very good local reporters, and I think the standard has improved massively in recent years actually, but we shouldn't forget that the Leader gave us Barry Duggan, who I think has done more damage to Limerick than Paul Williams, and that's saying something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm sorry to have to bring this thread back up but it appears TV3 are trying to get viewers for their new Donal "out of work" McIntyre show showing on Monday at 9pm and to be honest judging by comments on twitter and under their own facebook posts, its going down like a lead balloon.

its 2015 and after one of the most positive years in Limerick, they are out to tarnish the good name of our city once more. Tell your friends, family etc to boycott TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have to bring this thread back up but it appears TV3 are trying to get viewers for their new Donal "out of work" McIntyre show showing on Monday at 9pm and to be honest judging by comments on twitter and under their own facebook posts, its going down like a lead balloon.

its 2015 and after one of the most positive years in Limerick, they are out to tarnish the good name of our city once more. Tell your friends, family etc to boycott TV3

I've seen the trailer and bad and all as it is, I don't think that it will influence anybody other than the most braindead viewers. Actually most of the people who will watch it will be of the braindead kind anyway. It would be far more damaging if Prime Time ran something similar. Will be interesting to see what ratings it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

It's TV3, what would you expect from a pig but a grunt!

Advertisement