Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media - Name and Shame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have to bring this thread back up but it appears TV3 are trying to get viewers for their new Donal "out of work" McIntyre show showing on Monday at 9pm and to be honest judging by comments on twitter and under their own facebook posts, its going down like a lead balloon.

its 2015 and after one of the most positive years in Limerick, they are out to tarnish the good name of our city once more. Tell your friends, family etc to boycott TV3

Unfortunately this is what gets viewers on tv and this is what the likes of Donal McIntyre make a living from. If these people reported on the good and positive things in the city then nobody would watch it.

Imo the best thing to do like most of these programs on Irish television is to simply not give them the acknowledgement or controversy they seek to gain more viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair its not like they are exaggerating. The stuff in the promo is real footage and nothing that most of us havent seen when our heads arent buried. Just because it happens everywhere doesnt excuse it happening here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair its not like they are exaggerating. The stuff in the promo is real footage and nothing that most of us havent seen when our heads arent buried. Just because it happens everywhere doesnt excuse it happening here

Nobodies heads are buried, no one in this city would seriously suggest the city is crime free, if fact no Irish city can claim to be crime free, as you said this does happen everywhere else, but why is it always Limerick that gets its name dragged through the mud....no other Irish City has a reputation like this city.

How do we know they are not exaggerating, it's funny, but does anyone not think it is strange that in every documentary that has been filmed in this city, and there has been well over a dozen in the last few years, they manage to capture, on camera the following

Either
    A car been robbed and joyridden in front of the TV cameras
    A young teenager armed with a gun in front of an entire Radio program production crew, and willing to admit it.
    A gang of armed teenagers claiming to carry out armed robberies in front of the TV cameras
    Along with a sh*tload of people on horse and carts

If you believe that the Program Producers are not playing any part of it, I've got some magic beans I want to sell you!!!

It doesn't matter what TV station what this is on, when RTE the largest and most powerful station behave in a certain manner they allow all others to do the same.

I'd suggest a boycott of TV3 but they are in serious trouble anyway, hence the stooping to the old reliable.

Nobodies heads are buried, no one in this city would seriously suggest the city is crime free, if fact no Irish city can claim to be crime free, as you said this does happen everywhere else, but why is it always Limerick that gets its name dragged through the mud....no other Irish City has a reputation like this city.

How do we know they are not exaggerating, it's funny, but does anyone not think it is strange that in every documentary that has been filmed in this city, and there has been well over a dozen in the last few years, they manage to capture, on camera the following

Either
    A car been robbed and joyridden in front of the TV cameras
    A young teenager armed with a gun in front of an entire Radio program production crew, and willing to admit it.
    A gang of armed teenagers claiming to carry out armed robberies in front of the TV cameras
    Along with a sh*tload of people on horse and carts

If you believe that the Program Producers are not playing any part of it, I've got some magic beans I want to sell you!!!

It doesn't matter what TV station what this is on, when RTE the largest and most powerful station behave in a certain manner they allow all others to do the same.

I'd suggest a boycott of TV3 but they are in serious trouble anyway, hence the stooping to the old reliable.

I just mean i dont see this as a "they are all out to get us scenario"

we have had a lot of great press this year and hopefully we will keep getting good press in the coming years. But just because we deserve our share of good press doesnt mean we shouldnt get some bad press also.

Dublin Corkl Galway and Waterford have all been getting bad press in the last couple of years with Docu's on tv3 and rte about their crime rates

ffs Love Hate was mentioned in this thread. Not exactly great press about a city is it?

Waterford had a docu about Ballybeg and how everyone from there was uneducated.

These docus are suppose to highlight an issue about an area. Thinking they are slagging us off just because of a topic is just paranoia.

Shocker there is crime in limerick
    shocker there are joyriders in southill every single night

how can we pretend that this isnt happening or worthy of mention just because we dont want bad press

dont want bad press? well we have to stop it from happening then there cant be bad press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Mr.H wrote: »
    I just mean i dont see this as a "they are all out to get us scenario"

we have had a lot of great press this year and hopefully we will keep getting good press in the coming years. But just because we deserve our share of good press doesnt mean we shouldnt get some bad press also.

Dublin Corkl Galway and Waterford have all been getting bad press in the last couple of years with Docu's on tv3 and rte about their crime rates

ffs Love Hate was mentioned in this thread. Not exactly great press about a city is it?

Waterford had a docu about Ballybeg and how everyone from there was uneducated.

These docus are suppose to highlight an issue about an area. Thinking they are slagging us off just because of a topic is just paranoia.

Shocker there is crime in limerick
    shocker there are joyriders in southill every single night

how can we pretend that this isnt happening or worthy of mention just because we dont want bad press

dont want bad press? well we have to stop it from happening then there cant be bad press

In the last three months we have had

A 20 minute Paul Williams Late Late Show interview
    A three part series where as well as some Rap talent there was dozens of people on horses in socially deprived estates
    This documentary tomorrow

The Irish Indo declaring that the Limerick feud had reignited
    The Sunday World declaring that the Limerick feud had reignited

Plus dozens of other gangland related non stories in all National newspapers.

All about a serious crime issue that virtually disappeared nearly 5 years ago, it's like they are talking the city into another gangland feud.

Whatever coverage any other city gets, it pales in comparison to what we are being subjected to.

• Advertisement

In the last three months we have had

A 20 minute Paul Williams Late Late Show interview
    A three part series where as well as some Rap talent there was dozens of people on horses in socially deprived estates
    This documentary tomorrow

The Irish Indo declaring that the Limerick feud had reignited
    The Sunday World declaring that the Limerick feud had reignited

Plus dozens of other gangland related non stories in all National newspapers.

All about a serious crime issue that virtually disappeared nearly 5 years ago, it's like they are talking the city into another gangland feud.

Whatever coverage any other city gets, it pales in comparison to what we are being subjected to.

the 3 part series about the rap talent was in no way aimed at given Limerick a bad rap (sorry about the pun). Its ridiculous that we have to talk about idiots that have horses in the city center but unfortunately unlike many city suburbs we have a big population of horse owners. I lived in Waterford for a few years, spent time in and out of Galway (suburbs) and know cork quiet well. I have never seen anything in comparison to our problem with horse owners. The sight of horses on that show was an unfortunate bi-product of the show being shot in those areas where you will see horses tied up in fields or front gardens if you went to those areas right this moment.

the attention the papers gave to the fued was based on information that the gangs where trying to get up and running again around the county. That was given by insiders and not just made up speculation.

The "fued" (as in the rival gangland drug war and not just some petty family schoolyard argument) disappeared because everyone was in jail. Thats the only reason. Not because the issue was resolved.

as i said we are getting good press also but we are not critic proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There is often an inflated sense of how great Limerick is, by people from Limerick. You daren't say a bad word.

I'm not knocking it. It's fine. Not many cities have an impressive river flowing through it and a picturesque castle in the city centre, but certain circles of people around town seem to think the rest of the world is against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This was up on the indo website until they removed it :
    Heres Kamal's full piece on the matter...Right, So I have a real f**king problem with this! (and If you're from Limerick you should too).
    Take if from someone in the business that actually knows!
    TV3 have lost hundreds of hours of programming to UTV Ireland and are scrambling to create new shows to attract and retain their audiences. They've tried game shows like CrossFire and The Lie (which I myself did a screen test for). They're launching a new Soap, Red Rock and are working very hard to develop programming that people will actually watch because shows like X-factor which still airs on the network will no longer be on TV3 by 2016, so yes, they have A LOT to be concerned about.
    There are many talented people working at TV3 and over the years I have been lucky enough to get to know and become friends with many of them.
    That said, I can't say that I've ever been so pissed off at an entity in my life.
    I just saw the teaser TV3 released on Donal MacIntyre’s ‘new’ documentary and I’m furious!
    I just got back from spending Christmas in Limerick, my hometown. The place I grew up, went to school, got my first job, my first kiss, where I still have my friends and my family, the place that gave me the start in my career.
    It was my intention, as it was for all of you in Limerick, to start 2015 with a positive outlook, despite all the doom, gloom & heartache that we (and everyone else) have to deal with, ironically, caused by all the ruling parties in DUBLIN. And staying in Dublin we can turn our attention to TV3 and the worlds laziest ‘investigative journalist’ Donal MacIntyre who, as is evident by this short clip, is also struggling to find worthy, relevant content to put on Irish television.
    First, Donal made documentaries like Gangland Limerick, which used inaccurate statistics to dramatize the show. But I tolerated it. It was about all the crime in Limerick, the gangs and the headlines that it made.
    Now, Donal has made another dramatic looking documentary also about limerick. But this time its not because of the crime or the gangs and the headlines, this time its about the LACK OF ALL THE ABOVE!
    I feel like standing two inches in front of his face and shouting at the top of my voice to ‘F**k o** back to England and stop bullying Limerick.
    This bull**** documentary commissioned by TV3 has a direct impact on the people of Limerick and more importantly, EVERYONE ELSE, especially those who have never been to Limerick before and Donal knows it. He also knows he would never get away with making something like this in the UK because he’d be sacked.
    I work in television and I’ve sent TV3 a handful of fun, energetic, positive ideas for shows that could attract a primetime audience, written by me and my friends FROM LIMERICK.
    But instead they’ve commissioned a ‘budget friendly’ programme that does nothing but degrade, humiliate and denounce my city and people of that city, a city I don’t recognize as the town that’s home to the World Music Centre, the Irish Chamber Orchestra, Munster Rugby, one of the worlds best sports & educational facilities at the University of Limerick, home to Paul O'Connel, Richard Harris, The Cranberries, Terry Wogan, Michael D Higgins, Peter Clohessy, Seán South, Michael Colivet, Willie O'Dea, Frank McCourt, Celia Holman Lee, The Rubberbandits and many, many, many others.
    I don’t recognize the place where the creative people I know play music and perform theatre and laugh and tell jokes and cook and eat and make love and swim and fish and play sports and enjoy life. I don’t recognize that because that is not what I see when the story is told from the point of view of a faux-investigative television journalist.
    Congratulations Mr MacIntyre because you’ve ticked one of the boxes when it comes to a ‘good TV idea’ - entice a strong public reaction.
    But I suppose we should remember that when it comes to the business of television, it’s far cheaper to recycle old news than to invest in real stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I read that yesterday before they pulled it. Cheap journalists rehashing stories time after time. There's thounds of real stories any journalist could write about limerick or any town or city if they were confident of their investigative abilities. Just about the best of irish programmes for promoting a town or event is Nationwide - small budget RTE programme which goes out and researches real stories around the country not 'makey-uppey news'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What about the participants in this MacIntyre programme? Looking for their 15 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

While I quite like that Kamal Ibrahim spoke out against the constant conveyor belt of tv shows about Limerick, his post also highlights another issue. Kamal Ibrahim declares that he doesn't recognize the place as portrayed by TV3 - yet all of the issues mentioned, including giving children as young as 2 Red Bull, are happening every day of the week in the very area where Kamal grew up. I've seen the Red Bull one myself, and far worse. I'd also be quite skeptical if he hasn't seen likewise.

Maybe he has been away from home too long but I'll give him the benefit of doubt and I know he means well. However, as has been evident from even posters here on boards, there are some people who want to focus on nothing but positive news stories about Limerick and sweep everything else under the carpet and pretend it doesn't exist.

Sorry but it does exist and it isn't a small minority either. There are widespread serious social issues in Limerick City and they unfortunately must be discussed. They cannot be ignored. When you do that you end up with the kind of problems we have had here in recent years. At the height of the problems here a number of years ao you had people wondering how we got to this stage?

One of the answers is that we as a society ignored the problems for too long. Lets not make that mistake again.*

*(Don't take that as an endorsement of some ****ty TV3 expose either because it isn't.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

in fairness no city is perfect......what kamal is getting at is that limerick because of its reputation gets unfairly demeaned.

Ballybane in galway is rough for instance. areas in cork are rough. every city as a few down areas. the world aint perfect

IMO i agree with kamal. This is just TV. anyone who hasnt been to limerick should the see the city centre for it is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

There has always been a cohort in Limerick (noisy local politicians and business people mostly) who react in an overly-sensitive and not particularly thoughtful fashion to negative coverage of local issues by what is perceived to be a hostile "Dublin based,agenda ridden" media.
    Most of us,thankfully,are capable of making reasoned judgements and responding appropriately to criticism,particularly when that criticism is ,more often than not,entirely valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Just watching a joyriding scene on Donal MacIntyre's programme, I feel the boys saw Donal and his camera crew and decided to put on a show for them :rolleyes:

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Just watching a joyriding scene on Donal MacIntyre's programme, I feel the boys saw Donal and his camera crew and decided to put on a show for them :rolleyes:

Course they did.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Course they did.

Not sure if sarcasm... -_-

An File wrote: »
    Not sure if sarcasm... -_-

No sarcasm. These lads love to show off their "skills" on youtube.

A proper camera crew turning up to film is like Christmas Day and their birthday rolled into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Regarding this evenings "Breaking Crime"
    on TV3, I found it interesting and informative on many levels,sad also, especially the sense of resignation almost, apparent in many of the young male participants who seem to see their destinies as forever living on the margins of mainstream society.
    The programme makers decision to grant airtime to dubious characters such as Anthony Kelly and Mark Heffernan , both portrayed a paragons of virtue almost, was highly questionable, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

TV3 is as low as it gets when it comes to television really. Aside from Vincent Browne, everything on the channel is dreadful. There's no way I was tuning into that rubbish tonight. The likes of Donal MacIntyre and Paul Williams are scum bags as far as I'm concerned. Gutter journalists that carry on like they're the bloody superheros exposing the bad men when really they're just sensationalising and whipping up fear and negativity. They give a bad name to actual decent investigative journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Came along after tonight's thing..

, anyone on twitter. Check out #LimerickandProud.. Phenomenal response.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

I felt the programme showed plenty of positives. By and large, there are decent people trying to help areas of huge disadvantage.

I really think Limerick people are far too sensitive when it comes to the media and Limerick.

Kamal and McIntyre having a right go at each other on Live95fm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It'll be interesting to see how Cork folk respond when their city is dragged through the mud.

McIntyre being very evasive on Live95fm won't answer questions and whining that Kamal threatened him. Pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

McIntyre being very evasive on Live95fm won't answer questions and whining that Kamal threatened him. Pretty pathetic.

Must listen back later.

What questions is he avoiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

Breaking news. In Donal's next Limerick programme, he's going to interview people who earn a living, who have never even seen a gun and who don't think it's a good thing to keep horses in a city.

These will be people who follow sports, study philosophy, play music, paint pictures, teach in schools and universities, plaster walls, paint ceilings, go fishing, run to keep fit, worry for their children and read books in the evening. They'll cook, they'll travel and they'll take photographs. They'll be people who do a bit of gardening, enjoy a pint with friends, do a bit of blogging, watch the stars, look after their old people, fret about their health, play rugby, play soccer, play poker and play vinyl records sometimes.

In other words, Donal will interview the real people of Limerick. And not one of them will have spent an hour in jail, unless they once neglected to pay a parking fine.

Of course, that version of Limerick would be no great help to the likes of Donal MacIntyre, Paul Williams or Eamon Dillon. There's no money in normality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Of course, that version of Limerick would be no great help to the likes of Donal MacIntyre, Paul Williams or Eamon Dillon. There's no money in normality.

very true. paul williams wouldnt make a penny if he published a book on the good of limerick city.

people want to read and watch about guns and violence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And yet, the Old Limerick Journal and A Stroll Down Memory Lane sell out every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Breaking news. In Donal's next Limerick programme, he's going to interview people who earn a living, who have never even seen a gun and who don't think it's a good thing to keep horses in a city.

These will be people who follow sports, study philosophy, play music, paint pictures, teach in schools and universities, plaster walls, paint ceilings, go fishing, run to keep fit, worry for their children and read books in the evening. They'll cook, they'll travel and they'll take photographs. They'll be people who do a bit of gardening, enjoy a pint with friends, do a bit of blogging, watch the stars, look after their old people, fret about their health, play rugby, play soccer, play poker and play vinyl records sometimes.

In other words, Donal will interview the real people of Limerick. And not one of them will have spent an hour in jail, unless they once neglected to pay a parking fine.

I know you are being a little sarcastic but what a load of sanctimonious bull****. Not everyone in this world is born into a life with the opportunity to travel or "play vinyl records".

While having wild horses in a city is not right, at least it is been recognised that looking after horses gives kids in these areas some purpose when they walk outside their houses every day.

Most middle class Limerick people seem to care more of what outsiders think of us and how the media portray us rather than offering any positive insights into trying to help with the major social issues this city has.

Yes Limerick IS A GREAT place but that doesn't mean the city also doesn't have some of the biggest disadvantaged areas across Ireland and the UK.

And spare me the crap that Limerick doesn't get enough good publicity. Things like UL, thomond Park, the city of culture all receive plenty of positive coverage nationally. Certainly as much as Cork does.

Advertisement