Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media - Name and Shame

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

When did Paul Williams and Donal MacIntyre ever do programmes that didn't involve crime or hanging around with hard lammers.

Anthony Kelly was on the show. If he was young enough, he'd still be kicking the ****e out of people in town. F*ck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

@Lester Freamon, Please don't re-word what I said.

If you read it carefully, which you clearly did not, the point I'm making is very simple: Donal did not present an accurate picture of Limerick people. It's that simple.

I don't know why you feel the need to be so defensive.

Please point out the personal abuse in my comment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Please point out the personal abuse in my comment.

Apologies - I misread your post. **** happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

zulutango wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how Cork folk respond when their city is dragged through the mud.

Cork City has no estates that even come close to the worst areas of Limerick City. I was born in Limerick by the way so I'm insulting the City I'm only stating the honest truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cork City has no estates that even come close to the worst areas of Limerick City. I was born in Limerick by the way so I'm insulting the City I'm only stating the honest truth.

A garda friend of mine would disagree with that statement

Rubbish!

If you read it carefully, which you clearly did not, the point I'm making is very simple: Donal did not present an accurate picture of Limerick people. It's that simple.

Has he always just made tv shows featuring scumbags wherever he was? He was hardly going to make one about acoustic singer songwriters, or university lecturers...
    It just seems Limerick is always fair game for shows about scumbags...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The specific focus of the programme was crime and drug abuse in disadvantaged communities. It's unreasonable,therefore,to expect an "accurate picture of Limerick people" to emerge from a one hour show with that particular remit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

knocknaheeny boy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Donal McIntyre's show posed as one that would be exploring how to break the cycle of crime yet in reality it was just a flimsy cover for him to stand around with a film crew watching joyriders wrecking the place and interviewing kids in some weird voyeuristic exploitation of their situation.

It didn't offer up **** in the way of how the tide can be turned against the cycle of crime apart from some platitudes about horses for the kids.

Horses which are banned from the city limits due to them being allowed to roam freely, being abused and even tortured by certain elements and in general being a danger to the public due to irresponsible behaviour.

A few stables isn't going to change any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John O Chrualaoich

Clearly there was an expectation that people wanted to be offended, before this even aired, there are still people who never watched it but are critical of it.

Even if Donal had done his best Mary Kennedy impression walking from stone walls towards the camera talking about all the wonderful things Limerick has to offer he would have been criticised for ripping off Nationwide.

what's worse the same people don't highlight the positive programmes on Limerick, one of which was on RTE on Monday night before Donal. Probably before all the over the top fuss this programme would have been missed by most people. Good job of people promoting TV3 programmes.

still think it's funny that somebody told Donal he should go back to England when he's from Dublin

Roquentin wrote: »
    knocknaheeny boy!!!

Have you been to Knocknaheeny ?? It doesn't even come close to the worst areas in Limerick. I won't deny it has its scum but its a completely different level to the likes of O'Malley Park's or the western end of Moyross's finest.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Rubbish!

Tell me how many estates in Cork ended up like Clarina Park ? How many residents in Cork had to flee their estates ? I'd be interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

chicorytip wrote: »
    The specific focus of the programme was crime and drug abuse in disadvantaged communities. It's unreasonable,therefore,to expect an "accurate picture of Limerick people" to emerge from a one hour show with that particular remit.

Exactly. What is the obsession with limerick people always wanting to be seen in a positive light? Anyone with half a brain from outside limerick knows limerick is grand place in many areas but has huge problems in other areas.

It kind of reminds me of Irish people during last summer being fascinated about how the English must think hurling is great. Some kind of inferiority thing I suppose.

Donal McIntyre's show posed as one that would be exploring how to break the cycle of crime yet in reality it was just a flimsy cover for him to stand around with a film crew watching joyriders wrecking the place and interviewing kids in some weird voyeuristic exploitation of their situation.

It didn't offer up **** in the way of how the tide can be turned against the cycle of crime apart from some platitudes about horses for the kids.

Horses which are banned from the city limits due to them being allowed to roam freely, being abused and even tortured by certain elements and in general being a danger to the public due to irresponsible behaviour.

A few stables isn't going to change any of the above.

A few stables mightn't completely solve the problems but it might help some kids in a massive massive way. It is certainly better than just moaning about the media all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Tell me how many estates in Cork ended up like Clarina Park ? How many residents in Cork had to flee their estates ? I'd be interested to know.

Just because it's not all over the tabloids (newspapers & TV) every other month does not mean that Cork is free from this carry-on. The problem that people have in Limerick is that the people who were involved have become household names.

Can you name any of the major gang figures in Cork? Is that because they were less brutal? Or more discreet in their murders? I think the baby who was trapped under his fathers murdered body would say differently. "In August 2005, Eric Cummins (31) was shot and killed as he walked towards his Ballincollig home with his infant son in his arms. The little boy left trapped under his dying father's body." - Irish Independent 27/07/2014 (Look up the article 'Sinister silence protects Cork's gangland killers' I can't add a link here) Or the children who witnessed their fathers murder as they went for a walk with him.

But why don't we know the names Crinnion, Cummins or Delaney? Could there be a link between the attention that Limerick gets in the media and this hmmmm lets think about that for a second.

Same goes for the Dublin gangs, we know they are there, but apart from John Gilligan who was a media whore can you name another one?

This goes for families run out of different areas, just because it's not on the media doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Now, I'm all for reporting the news, but rehashing it?! That is just bad journalism.

A few stables mightn't completely solve the problems but it might help some kids in a massive massive way. It is certainly better than just moaning about the media all the time.

By your own statement - "wild horse in a city is not right" - we have a problem here.

Stables for illegal horses is bottom of the list when it comes to helping these kids in a meaningful life changing way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just because it's not all over the tabloids (newspapers & TV) every other month does not mean that Cork is free from this carry-on. The problem that people have in Limerick is that the people who were involved have become household names.

Can you name any of the major gang figures in Cork? Is that because they were less brutal? Or more discreet in their murders? I think the baby who was trapped under his fathers murdered body would say differently. "In August 2005, Eric Cummins (31) was shot and killed as he walked towards his Ballincollig home with his infant son in his arms. The little boy left trapped under his dying father's body." - Irish Independent 27/07/2014 (Look up the article 'Sinister silence protects Cork's gangland killers' I can't add a link here) Or the children who witnessed their fathers murder as they went for a walk with him.

But why don't we know the names Crinnion, Cummins or Delaney? Could there be a link between the attention that Limerick gets in the media and this hmmmm lets think about that for a second.

Same goes for the Dublin gangs, we know they are there, but apart from John Gilligan who was a media whore can you name another one?

This goes for families run out of different areas, just because it's not on the media doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Now, I'm all for reporting the news, but rehashing it?! That is just bad journalism.

Did the Dubs or Cork gangs ever target civilians like they did Collins, or hit the wrong guy like your man in Garryown?

The General's gang in Dublin would have been in the papers a fair bit, we all know who The Viper is.

Also Limerick is around half the size of Cork and one tenth the size of Dublin population wise.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did the Dubs or Cork gangs ever target civilians like they did Collins, or hit the wrong guy like your man in Garryown?

The General's gang in Dublin would have been in the papers a fair bit, we all know who The Viper is

Em, Yes!, again from the Independent Published 02/02/2003
    (also I don't know who the Viper is)

Violent clashes between gangs vying for control of the drugs trade and the spiral in street assaults have caused outrage, writes Ralph Riegel

THE streets of Cork, Ireland's self-proclaimed "safest city," have run red with blood over the past two years through spiralling gangland violence and a series of unprovoked street assaults.

Such was the concern at the escalating level of violent crime last summer in Cork that senior gardai were publicly forced to reject claims that parts of the city were no-go areas.

Mod snip. Copying an entire article is copyright infringement, please just share the link and a few lines/quote from an article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 John O Chrualaoich

Positive programme on Limerick City of Culture, none of the people bleating on about how offended they were with Donal, did anything to highlight that it would be on. Or have gone on Joe Duffy to say how delighted they were.

Waiting on the backlash as Ann Cassin reported that it was cold and wet in Limerick today, which will add to the negative image of Limerick and could ultimately affect tourism in the City over the next few months of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Em, Yes!, again from the Independent Published 02/02/2003
    (also I don't know who the Viper is)

Mod removing article
    That article is from 2003. Seriously compare the number of gangland murders, arson attacks, shootings, etc in Limerick v Cork a city at least 2 times bigger over any period of time. There is none. You are seriously deluded if you think that the problems are or were comparable.

By your own statement - "wild horse in a city is not right" - we have a problem here.

Stables for illegal horses is bottom of the list when it comes to helping these kids in a meaningful life changing way.

Who's list is that now? Do you you really not think that these kids learning the proper way to look after horses will not benefit them to some extent? I suppose those homeless folk were wasting their time singing in the high hopes choir too?

rebs23 wrote: »
    That article is from 2003. Seriously compare the number of gangland murders, arson attacks, shootings, etc in Limerick v Cork a city at least 2 times bigger over any period of time. There is none. You are seriously deluded if you think that the problems are or were comparable.

That post was to answer a question. If you had looked at my previous post you would have seen a reference to an article from 2014 which if you looked up the article showed murders from 2003 onwards.

When exactly do you think the rehashed violent acts in Limerick happened? As there were no murders here in 2014 it couldn't have been then, and there was only one each in 2013 and 2012 for both Limerick city and county.

You do know that the murders have been caught, named and renamed and put in prison in Limerick. Whereas if you looked for the first article from Cork you will see that the murders there are still unknown.

The reason it seems like there are more of these crimes in Limerick is because they are reported more. But if you want to believe everything you read in the redtops then that's your prerogative and I doubt anything like the facts could persuade you otherwise. Shrug.

That post was to answer a question. If you had looked at my previous post you would have seen a reference to an article from 2014 which if you looked up the article showed murders from 2003 onwards.

When exactly do you think the rehashed violent acts in Limerick happened? As there were no murders here in 2014 it couldn't have been then, and there was only one each in 2013 and 2012 for both Limerick city and county.

You do know that the murders have been caught, named and renamed and put in prison in Limerick. Whereas if you looked for the first article from Cork you will see that the murders there are still unknown.

The reason it seems like there are more of these crimes in Limerick is because they are reported more. But if you want to believe everything you read in the redtops then that's your prerogative and I doubt anything like the facts could persuade you otherwise. Shrug.
    Facts are facts and any statistical comparison over any period of time will show you that the reason Limerick used to receive a lot of media attention was because there was a serious problem, way more than any other Irish city with the exception of Dublin. It is not that there "seems" to be more gangland crime in Limerick compared to Cork it is because there was a lot more full stop.
    In fairness most of the coverage these days is positive.

Who's list is that now? Do you you really not think that these kids learning the proper way to look after horses will not benefit them to some extent? I suppose those homeless folk were wasting their time singing in the high hopes choir too?

A list of priorities concerning their welfare. If you think giving them stables for illegal horses is top of that list then I'd love to see what is bottom of it.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Facts are facts and any statistical comparison over any period of time will show you that the reason Limerick used to receive a lot of media attention was because there was a serious problem, way more than any other Irish city with the exception of Dublin. It is not that there "seems" to be more gangland crime in Limerick compared to Cork it is because there was a lot more full stop.
    In fairness most of the coverage these days is positive.

Could you, perhaps, provide a link to those statistical studies?

Could you, perhaps, provide a link to those statistical studies?
    For what year would you like? Over the last 10 years? 4 years? The statistics are available here from the cso: http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/crimeandjustice/
    Or would you prefer to go through a google search on Limerick still having the second highest rate of crime in the country?
    Or would you prefer a direct comparison between rates for different offences for various region?
    My only purpose for posting here was to rubbish a comment it somehow only seemed there was a serious problem because the media had it in for Limerick. There was a serious problem and to try and make comparisons with other cities is meaningless when those other cities with the possible exception of Dublin never had a gangland crime issue or even a crime issue on the scale of Limerick.
    If you want I'll go down the road of posting the direct comparisons but that would only be dragging the issue off topic and I am conscious that this is a Limerick forum and you are very touchy about this subject for obvious reasons but trying to say other places had the same problems on the same scale is just ludicrous.

Your offer of a comparative analysis is very welcome.

I'd look forward to it if you hadn't said that comparison with other cities is meaningless.

But while you're doing your analysis, could you do a piece on the statistical validity of Donal MacIntyre's programmes?

• Advertisement

Your offer of a comparative analysis is very welcome.

I'd look forward to it if you hadn't said that comparison with other cities is meaningless.

But while you're doing your analysis, could you do a piece on the statistical validity of Donal MacIntyre's programmes?
    At this stage As this is a Limerick forum I'll leave it to Limerick people to debate it but I'd agree Donal McIntyre is hardly top class journalism and that your City has suffered enough especially when it comes to some of the type of reporting and the type of crime that has occurred in the past. It was the comparison with Cork and somehow the problems were comparable that I was commenting on.

Advertisement