Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media - Name and Shame

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

A list of priorities concerning their welfare. If you think giving them stables for illegal horses is top of that list then I'd love to see what is bottom of it.

Where did I say it was a top priority. I'm simply saying there is a lot of benefit to be gained with it for certain kids. I'm not saying it will solve all the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

rebs23 wrote: »
    Facts are facts and any statistical comparison over any period of time will show you that the reason Limerick used to receive a lot of media attention was because there was a serious problem, way more than any other Irish city with the exception of Dublin. It is not that there "seems" to be more gangland crime in Limerick compared to Cork it is because there was a lot more full stop.
    In fairness most of the coverage these days is positive.

There was a problem in certain areas but in general it was way overstated and the reportage was far in excess of the reality. There's no doubt that Limerick is an easy target for a lazy media. I think a rational observer would acknowledge that.

If you do the statistical analysis, I suspect Limerick fares better than most urban areas in Ireland for crime. However, one of the major findings of a recent groundbreaking report into the Gardai is that their crime stats are unreliable due to serious inconsistencies in how the data is compiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

zulutango wrote: »

However, one of the major findings of a recent groundbreaking report into the Gardai is that their crime stats are unreliable due to serious inconsistencies in how the data is compiled.
    They hired a load of statistician/analyst types back along, a civilian department to look after that kinda stuff didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Where did I say it was a top priority. I'm simply saying there is a lot of benefit to be gained with it for certain kids. I'm not saying it will solve all the issues.

Having horses withing the city limits is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

You are completely missing my point. I was mainly referring to the benefits of the kids being brought up to the stables. Although while illegal horses are not ideal either, I could understand to an extent how people in these disadvantaged communities believing that minding the horses does the children no harm. Again I am not saying I think wild illegal horses is right, I am simply acknowledging the reasoning of certain people's views.

In an indirect way, I would liken it to the homeless people in the high hopes choir or the RTE documentary about criminals who found a love for painting while in jail. It is basic occupational therapy and there is plenty of research behind this kind of stuff. Hence, why I thought the bit in relation to the stables was quite encouraging to see.

I am not saying that the kids will turn out to bet perfect children, the singing homeless folk will automatically find houses or the painter criminals will become saints but there is evidence to prove that these type of activities can have a very positive effect.

My biggest disappointment was that nearly all Limerick people went automatically into a default ultra defensive mode regards the show rather than trying to understand some positives from it. Disappointed in particular for that youth worker who spoke so well and the people working in the stables. They must feel nobody in Limerick recognises the positive work they are trying their very best to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

seachto7 wrote: »
    wonder which nightclub it was!

Only one club for 19 year olds in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

programme on rte now about the closure of garda stations in rural areas.

Paul Williams on to give his opinions . Guess the rest

juneg wrote: »
    programme on rte now about the closure of garda stations in rural areas.

Paul Williams on to give his opinions . Guess the rest
    Does it involve quiet country villages being gifted feral scum?

On the subject of scum getting transplanted to rural villages, have any of the big burly local country lads grouped together, when needed, to put manners on them yet?

seachto7 wrote: »
    On the subject of scum getting transplanted to rural villages, have any of the big burly local country lads grouped together, when needed, to put manners on them yet?
    Yeah heard of one case. That might be a kind of solution in some cases but dirty scumbag kids that know they are untouchable are another story...

Yeah heard of one case. That might be a kind of solution in some cases but dirty scumbag kids that know they are untouchable are another story...

There are ways and means.

They're not untouchable. ;)

The only solution I can see is to make scummy parents responsible for the actions of their scummy kids. I guess that's what you meant. If not then I'm afraid to ask!
    The only problem is "they" will always win in the longer term if the solution involves sinking to their level - scum just keep finding lower levels.

Advertisement